Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seem to have a thick grease in the auger gearbox but I've always put 90wt oil in them. Is that horrible? A friend got one and I may be advising him on maintenance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine also had grease in it. I don't think it lubricates the gearbox as well as mine wore a brass ring on the top that was not getting any lubrication. Its quite possible that maybe they began with oil in them as they seem to have a spot to put some in but maybe they leaked and the grease was put it due to that fact. I wish I had a manual to see what that said was the correct lubrication type.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
the owners manual i have on pdf says to use grease, it just doesn't say what kind
found it in the manual thats posted on the board, use mag1 grease

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
toro website says 7oz of mag-1 but everything i find for mag-1 gl-5 is an oil

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Is this it?

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
i'm not sure i'll have to ask rob or roy , they both have an ope repair shop
Were you able to find out anything about that gear lube William?

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Were you able to find out anything about that gear lube William?
well i hate to say it but i forgot and i was at the shop today. i've got to stop at bob's shop tomorrow so i'll ask then

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
well i hate to say it but i forgot and i was at the shop today. i've got to stop at bob's shop tomorrow so i'll ask then
Ok. Thanks William.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
i reminded myself my re-reading this thread this morning

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All the 521s I have seen have a grease in the gearboxes. I always tip them back and get as much gear lube in as I can. Maybe there's a particular method for greasing them besides opening them up?

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
rob says he used grease too, i just got home from the shop

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I don't know about blowers but on riding lawn mowers that also get used for blowing snow so they're in the -20 stuff too, the manufacturers recommend "00" in a lot of the geared transmissions. I had no clue what it was and did some research. It's close to a liquid and just barely a grease. It seems to work great for lubrication as it will move around like a liquid on moving parts better than a regular grease will. If it can lube a transmission on a 800 pound machine pulling a 200 pound guy around the yard hour after hour, year after year it should be more than enough for an auger drive. :cool:

Prime Line 7-06612 - Grease, 00 3 | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Super Lube "00" Grease 9 Ounce Tube 770 127 | eBay

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
All the 521s I have seen have a grease in the gearboxes. I always tip them back and get as much gear lube in as I can. Maybe there's a particular method for greasing them besides opening them up?
so when you put grease in them what do you use

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Does anyone have an owner's manual or shop manual that gives instructions on how to fill the gear box?
I own a few Mantis tillers and they use 00 Lithium gear lube. You actually have'to open it up to check and fill it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like something thick in there. I don't know if there's a special way but I can't get grease in them and I'm not taking it apart so I just pour 80W-90 in till it's full. I don't care what Toro says, I don't like the idea of a grease so stiff that could be pushed off to the sides. If it leaks a little gear lube, ok by me. If there was a grease fitting I could hit with a grease gun and **PACK** the thing solid, that would be acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
It looks like something thick in there. I don't know if there's a special way but I can't get grease in them and I'm not taking it apart so I just pour 80W-90 in till it's full. I don't care what Toro says, I don't like the idea of a grease so stiff that could be pushed off to the sides. If it leaks a little gear lube, ok by me. If there was a grease fitting I could hit with a grease gun and **PACK** the thing solid, that would be acceptable.
nooo, what brand and type of grease do you use

1 - 20 of 41 Posts