Snowblower Forum banner

Toro 521 Auger stopping

4K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Hec In Omaha 
#1 ·
New to this - have an ages old Toro 521 (38052) from my Grandma. Runs like a dream and have used it a few years after getting it.

This past big storm in Chicagoland dumped a foot on us. (Which has since been followed by almost another 2 feet over the last 2 weeks)

Starts fine, drives great, but the second the auger touches the snow, it’s stops spinning and disengages. The impeller free spins just fine, also spins when the auger is engaged and when the auger stops. So it’s only the auger drive that stops when it touches the snow.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on what I can try? I’ve since bought a new Toro PowerMax828, so this isn’t a desperately urgent need. But if I can get it running I’ll happily have my partner help dig out some more neighbors. (And probably eventually sell it since it’s built like a tank)

i just know the shops around here are obviously deep in repairs and work with all the snow so figured if I can manage a self repair I’ll give it a go.
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
First of all welcome to the forum, and I agree those machines are worth fixing yourself. And I'm sure the shops are swamped, and will be for weeks (I am NW burbs). What do you mean the impeller free spins? It spins without spinning the shaft that it is on? When it spins, does the auger spin with it (It should, but the auger spins slower than the impeller). Did you look at the belt? Take off the plastic cover and see how tight the auger belt is (you will have to hold down the auger lever to engage the tensioner for the belt).

tx

#3 ·
When powered off, I’m able to spin the impeller (so it’s not jammed with a rock or something).
When I engage the auger lever, both the impeller and the auger spin and kick on like normal. As soon as the auger touches a hint of snow, it stops, but the impeller still runs like normal. Hence I don’t think it’s the belt since it all engages normally (and the impeller continues to work). I suspect it’s something in the auger shaft or the gear box. But from what I’ve read, the gear box is unlikely as it seems they’re built to withstand a pretty harsh beating.
Also worth noting, I used it a few weeks ago and all was perfect, didn’t hit any gravel, or other objects and was working when I put it away, then 2 weeks later when I started it up and started outside the garage, the auger just stopped when I hit the first little drift.

#4 ·
Check your augers shear pins. Remove them! To ensure they are intact, then put them back in. Remove the belt cover and see when you hit snow the belts and the impeller both are spinning.

Reactions: Yetiman
#5 ·
When touching the snow... Is this mean when there is a load to the impeller? If so, I would look in to the belt tension. I've had issue with this too. Mine worked sometimes and did not other times.
Also, while at it, check the gearbox to add 00 grease and grease gun the shaft if there is nipples to inject.

#16 · (Edited)
If shear pin is out, your auger does not turn. Your auger is turning. You have a problem inside the gearbox, it seems. Try undoing the square bolt and top off with 00 grease.

Video seems like mine. I think you need to check the tension of belt.

#19 ·
Read your belt/gearbox post. I suspect it’s my gearbox.
I’ll try it again here in a bit to check the belt again, but when I looked at it earlier, it appeared normal when engaged and not slipping or wobbling. I suspect the gearbox innards are roast and it had enough to engage it, but any load at all and it’s just spinning inside.

#17 ·
This is the problem I had:

Reactions: robsall
#20 ·
actually the auger gears are ~ $75 to $90 each (worm and helical) OEM. And you usually need new seals as well. If you enjoy working on these machines, I would recommend finding another Toro of same vintage and using that gearset. Toro used the same gears for many years on most of the small frame machines.

Reactions: robsall
#21 ·
My Toro 521 is a favorite of mine. The video is very helpful.

What I see is that the auger stops while the impeller is spinning away at good speed (right?)

Gear box - #1 suspect. As mentioned they don't usually fail and seem to be tough as nails, but . . .

#2 suspect would be the bolts holding the auger to the shaft. They are located on the outer edge of the augers near where the auger meets the sidewall of the bucket. Make sure the bolts are there. If so, proceed to suspect #1.

#22 ·
I have never worked on a Toro, if it was the gear box why would the impeller still be spinning fine?
Is there a worm gear in there like on my Craftsman?
What lube is used in there? Any oily type or a grease type?
He mentioned that he had the 2 bolts off and they are good.

#23 ·
I have been looking at a parts diagram for the Toro. There is a worm gear in there if that was bad wouldn't the impeller stop spinning too?
Could the problem be with the thrust bearing?

#24 ·
The impeller shaft drives the auger shaft via the gear box in between the augers. If the gear is stripped within the gearbox, the spinning impeller shaft will not be transferring its motion to the auger shaft.

You may be thinking that the auger drives the impeller . . . it is the opposite.

Reactions: paulm12
#25 ·
OK yeah what was I thinking?
Does the impeller shaft that goes into the gear box have a shear pin? Or roller pin? Or Key?
You would think that if the worm gear went he would have had prior warning signs?

#26 ·
#27 ·
I was thinking about that Big Ed. I wonder if the keys went out, not the bearings. see diagram:

parts #37 and #57 on the diagram
Hmmm, there are woodruff keys on the auger shaft?
He has to tear it apart and have a look at it all, but I think that is beyond his capability?
I wonder if someone once replaced the shear bolts with a better grade regular bolt and the keys snapped before the shear bolts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.