Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Guy here that's lurked for a long time. My old Toro 521 38054 finally crapped out on me. It does not move in forward or reverse. I had an issue with reverse in the fall when I pulled her out to get her ready for winter. I adjusted the lever and it was much better. I pulled off the bottom panel to check on the friction disc and to lubricate the rod. The disc was not too bad and I figured that I'd change it out and put a new set of belts on in the spring when I put it away. Fast forward to yesterday, while digging out of the foot of snow that we got, it stated making a squeaky/squeely noise and then I lost the traction drive. No forward or reverse. It was making noise sitting at idle. I shut her down and rushed off to work. This morning, I fired it up and checked it out a bit, no movement or nothing when I engage the traction drive, auger works fine. I pulled off the belt cover and found that the big pulley at the bottom (not the crank pulley) is flopping around. Any ideas?? I am going to replace the belts and friction disc since it will have to come apart. The auger pulley is fine with no side to side or up and down play.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If a pulley is flopping around, thats where to look first. Pulleys are attached to shafts so either the shaft its attached to has a bad bearing or maybe the pulley itself has broken or come loose on the shaft. Of course, with this lovely weather we are having, it will be a real cakewalk to disassemble and repair any damaged items. Maybe wait till the weekend when its supposed to get up to +3 or something, then see what you can find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts