Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need another dump blower like I need a whole in the head! Soft spot for baby toro. And saw some parts value (starter, key, whatever else).

had fuel in it. Put a new used plug in. Surprisingly, got it running. Definitely would need
A tune up. For some reason the chute mechanism won’t turn the chute. Maybe the spiral is worn down and not grabbing.

drive and auger works, blows snow.
Any love for these older small Toros? Strip it and return it??

Attachments

· Registered
1,912 Posts
you should be able to loosen the locknut under the worm gear and then bring the chute crank rod closer to the chute base so that the teeth mesh together. the spacing looks too far apart in your picture.

i personally like the small toros, as i have 3 cars parked side by side on my driveway, and my toro "6521" can squeeze between the cars. additionally, the spacing between the impeller blades and the bucket housing is very tight from the factory, so it throws slush very well without having to use the impeller kit.

i'm not sure if the general public likes them all that much though.

· Registered
434 Posts
That's a better deal than a one-armed, 2 HP Honda lawnmower like this:

Anyone recognize this honda mower?

That's a perfectly good machine with hardly any rust. I derive no feeling of satisfaction from gutting out a working machine. Whereas the whole is worth more than a sum-of-the-parts, therefore, I would definitely restore that snowblower to a functional state. Maybe spiff it up a bit by taping the sidewalls and spray its wheels white.

There will be a nice big snow fall coming before February and someone is going to make a last-minute decision to purchase it for maybe $100? Post a side view of it in FB Marketplace and flip it for short money or perhaps consider giving it to a worthy relative.

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should be able to loosen the locknut under the worm gear and then bring the chute crank rod closer to the chute base so that the teeth mesh together. the spacing looks too far apart in your picture.

i personally like the small toros, as i have 3 cars parked side by side on my driveway, and my toro "6521" can squeeze between the cars. additionally, the spacing between the impeller blades and the bucket housing is very tight from the factory, so it throws slush very well without having to use the impeller kit.

i'm not sure if the general public likes them all that much though.
Just did that, chute functioning better. My experience is old iron is unloved and undesired by the buying population.

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

That's a perfectly good machine with hardly any rust. I derive no feeling of satisfaction from gutting out a working machine. Whereas the whole is worth more than a sum-of-the-parts, therefore, I would definitely restore that snowblower to a functional state. Maybe spiff it up a bit by taping the sidewalls and spray its wheels white.

There will be a nice big snow fall coming before February and someone is going to make a last-minute decision to purchase it for maybe $100? Post a side view of it in FB Marketplace and flip it for short money or perhaps consider giving it to a worthy relative.
I find the parts are worth more than the whole on these old machines. However, parting is a pain, and I too like to keep a running machine out there. However, none of my reasonably priced bigger older machines have garnered even an inquiry, but parts have sold.

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

And I would never give an old machine to anyone I know. They would keep coming back to me for help like it’s under warranty!

· Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
personally i would keep it. when i got my first 521i had an older Toro 826 / 38150 and my 2450e. the 521 became my favorite real quick so when i came across another good deal on a 521 i jumped on it. if i were near you i would buy the 622 and give it to my nephew. there use to be an active member here that tried to tell me to get a 521 or 622 but i was @ell bent on a Toro with an 8hp motor, i ended up giving the 826 to a friend after finding a 824 powershift for $125. a few years later i found the 824 powerthrow for $120, couldn't pass them up at those prices but 9 out of 10 one of the 521's are used first

· Registered
1,550 Posts
I love those small frame Toros from the 80s and 90s. They are easy to work on and parts are common between them.. Perfect size for suburban driveways; easy to maneuver around cars, up the sidewalks, etc. They may be a bit underpowered (that's when the predator engine works great), but work well for the snows we get in my area (NE Illinois).

· Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
what kind of snow can a 5/21 really handle?
i don't have EOD snow to deal with but a few neighbors that i help out have snow piled up 2 - 3ft high because the gate to their yard is closed, my 521's have never had a problem moving it. i use to have three 521's, a very good friend called one winter day and said his snowblower stopped working. he came over and picked up the 521r, there was about 14" of snow on the ground. he loves it soo much that he won't give me " his " 521. for 98% of the snow we get the 521 is fine, if i want to see pavement the 2450e gets the call. we've had very little snow where the 824's were really needed, the 824's are faster so sometimes i use one of them then take one of the 521's and head to mom's or to make some money

1 - 20 of 37 Posts