Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Toro 721E and I love it. However, I noticed that my cable has melted due to the heat of the exhaust. I believe it is from the heat of the handle that it rests on when the control bar is released and the cable has slack. Fortunately the cable is metal wire covered by plastic but this is a poor design OR my tension is off. If the cable is tightened to keep it off the metal handle bar then I think this will be too tight. Any suggestions or similar experience? See pics for further clarification.
Thanks!
D352E49C-2655-44D5-8EAF-4349AFB4518C.jpeg
DFA13A0B-4E1F-4EBF-B1AD-6F9EE4DC8DF2.jpeg
7149A5E7-70A7-47FF-A809-7944B49A3214.jpeg
D352E49C-2655-44D5-8EAF-4349AFB4518C.jpeg DFA13A0B-4E1F-4EBF-B1AD-6F9EE4DC8DF2.jpeg 7149A5E7-70A7-47FF-A809-7944B49A3214.jpeg D352E49C-2655-44D5-8EAF-4349AFB4518C.jpeg DFA13A0B-4E1F-4EBF-B1AD-6F9EE4DC8DF2.jpeg D352E49C-2655-44D5-8EAF-4349AFB4518C.jpeg DFA13A0B-4E1F-4EBF-B1AD-6F9EE4DC8DF2.jpeg 7149A5E7-70A7-47FF-A809-7944B49A3214.jpeg

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Can you move the cable to the other side of the handle bar tube and cable tie it ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Never seen that is your choke on 1/2 way. You could zip tie some tin foil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Looks like a poor design if that is where it's supposed to be.
Or else they should have added a small tailpipe on the exhaust outlet to direct the exhaust down.
Like said try to wire tie it to the other side?
Brand new? I would ask for a new cable?

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you move the cable to the other side of the handle bar tube and cable tie it ?
No, it has to be on this side as it connects inside the Arm Idler inside the Rotor Drive Assembly. But you're right, the exhaust should be diverted differently! I may need to wrap the cable with a metal cover. Again, poor design!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never seen that is your choke on 1/2 way. You could zip tie some tin foil

The choke will be pushed off once the engine is going so I don't think this is related.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a poor design if that is where it's supposed to be.
Or else they should have added a small tailpipe on the exhaust outlet to direct the exhaust down.
Like said try to wire tie it to the other side?
Brand new? I would ask for a new cable?
Agree Big Ed -- poor design! There should be a better way to exhaust rather than pushing it out there. Just curious how others are dealing with this...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Take a piece of metal pipe and fix it to the handlebar bracket?
Run the cable through the inside?
That is the handlebar bracket we see?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Toro engineering not doing enough rd in the real world IMO. There 721 commercial blower had garbage metal nylon scrapers. They just had a recall on new machine cause auger can stay on. Nothing like using customers as rd lab

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a piece of metal pipe and fix it to the handlebar bracket?
Run the cable through the inside?
That is the handlebar bracket we see?
Yes, that's the handle bar bracket. Even if the cable is covered, it will still get hot with the exhaust blowing on it. In the parts manual, the housing shows a bit of a flange that angles downward which is not like mine (open hole as shown in picture). Somehow the exhaust needs to be diverted. But covering the cable with some form of metal or heat retardant fabric, that may work. As long as it doesn't snap it should be ok...I hope!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toro engineering not doing enough rd in the real world IMO. There 721 commercial blower had garbage metal nylon scrapers. They just had a recall on new machine cause auger can stay on. Nothing like using customers as rd lab

They keep selling though! Other than this issue, it seems like a great machine and I can likely DIYer around some of these issues but we shouldn't have to. This is a simple design fix!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I look at it as missing something. Clearly the handle is in line with the exhaust too, the cable just happens to be there also. I have worked on these and they used to be different, and not that long ago. Personally i think it's flat out designed wrong even without the cable, the exhaust shouldn't blow on the handle either.
Wrapping the area to insulate it from heat is simply putting towels down to "fix" a leaky faucet.
I just looked up some 721E's and they all look different so yours must be the new "improved" model:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I look at it as missing something. Clearly the handle is in line with the exhaust too, the cable just happens to be there also. I have worked on these and they used to be different, and not that long ago. Personally i think it's flat out designed wrong even without the cable, the exhaust shouldn't blow on the handle either.
Wrapping the area to insulate it from heat is simply putting towels down to "fix" a leaky faucet.
I just looked up some 721E's and they all look different so yours must be the new "improved" model:)
View attachment 176316
View attachment 176317
Yes, the design is different and the model, 38753, is new. Aside from this aspect, I DO like the unit. I'll have to keep at it w Toro and perhaps put the "towel" fix in for the moment! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes, the design is different and the model, 38753, is new. Aside from this aspect, I DO like the unit. I'll have to keep at it w Toro and perhaps put the "towel" fix in for the moment! Thanks.
The older model 621\721 used a bare stainless steel cable and was routed as the above machine shows. The exhaust routing on the new exposed engine models do need a redesign.

Reactions: Zavie

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That is a poor design, done by a college educated in 'no common sense' engineer.
There should be an exhaust deflector because no matter where you try to relocate the cable, it will melt from the exhaust heating the handlebar pipe.
That is also another way that China is getting their revenge on us by making something like that to fail on purpose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a poor design, done by a college educated in 'no common sense' engineer.
There should be an exhaust deflector because no matter where you try to relocate the cable, it will melt from the exhaust heating the handlebar pipe.
That is also another way that China is getting their revenge on us by making something like that to fail on purpose.
Agreed...you don't need a college education to figure this one out...surprised there isn't more a complaint. I may start one!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The older model 621\721 used a bare stainless steel cable and was routed as the above machine shows. The exhaust routing on the new exposed engine models do need a redesign.
Seems strange to go to a plastic covered cable that is subject to the melting from exhaust in the newer models. Hopefully the OP will contact the dealer and or Toro and let them know. All the reviews are excellent on the entire 721 lineup.
As far as the recall on the 826 OHAE it is just some of the serial numbers which suggests that either a faulty part was used in production or not adjusted correctly in production. My 826 OHAE was not in the recall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got off the phone with Toro. They said, "yes, unfortunately this new model has the exhaust in this location and causes melting. It has been sent "up" for further review...". In my view, they need to provide an after market attachment to deflect the exhaust but even when they do, it'll likely still be heated near the cable and handle. They are sending me another cable to address any issues that may come over time from too much exhaust/heat. It sounds like the earlier versions were not designed this way. I'll post some updates making buyers aware!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
could be a fire hazard recall coming...... just shortly after the risk of amputation recall on another toro. im a toro fan...sure hope they dont go down the tubes.

Reactions: ST1100A

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I asked about a recall on this item/situation and he said it was too soon to tell. Clearly, their Quality Control and "testing" was non-existent on this as it's one of the first things you see after initially running it. It likely didn't come up in reviews as it may be too new of a design, not sure. Either way, I'm going to post something on the Home Depot and Toro sites to warn other buyers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts