Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, you're right. We'll see how they address it!

BTW - I posted a review on Home Depot's site last night with a "2" rating and they said my review was rejected as it didn't comply with their policies, etc. I used the word "beware" in the title but other than that I can't imagine why it was rejected. I'm going to reword it with 'less threating" words I guess but I'm surprised about that. I don't typically leave many reviews but when I do they are honest -- and 99% of the time positive. People need to be aware of this issue before they purchase the blower. Like I said, I really like the unit but this faulty design is a problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Too bad you couldn't just add something like this?
They also sell flex exhaust hoses for generators.
Just a thought.
What is your outlet dimension?

Reactions: ST1100A

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's approx. 1". Yes, it essentially needs a contoured tailpipe! Good thinking. I'll look into it in the offseason after I see where Toro goes with this. The NEED to get an aftermarket kit to be attached. Other than that, I hope they haven't changed anything else on the system as I'd like it to run for a number of years!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Seems strange to go to a plastic covered cable that is subject to the melting from exhaust in the newer models. Hopefully the OP will contact the dealer and or Toro and let them know. All the reviews are excellent on the entire 721 lineup.
As far as the recall on the 826 OHAE it is just some of the serial numbers which suggests that either a faulty part was used in production or not adjusted correctly in production. My 826 OHAE was not in the recall.
They use plastic covered cable because the cable goes 90 degrees around a nylon guide near the idler pulley. Without the plastic the cable would wear a groove into the guide and cable would get jammed into groove a auger would not stop when bail handle was released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, the plastic covering is logical and serves a necessary purpose. They simply needed to design the exhaust output differently!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My 2017 Toro 721R 38741 has an uncoated cable and takes a 90 degree bend to the idler pulley exactly like the new models so the cable does not have to have the plastic coating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Regardless of the plastic coating, there can be a flexible metal sheath or something similar (like lawn mower controls), to protect it perhaps. Either way, the exhaust should not be directly across from it or the lower handle bar attachment as the heat will destruct it over time, (IMO).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Toro's heated handlebar design. Interesting to see what kind of customer service they provide. I have and like Toro equipment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll report back with updates as things develop...could be a while, we'll see!

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, it has to be on this side as it connects inside the Arm Idler inside the Rotor Drive Assembly. But you're right, the exhaust should be diverted differently! I may need to wrap the cable with a metal cover. Again, poor design!
I would say buy some exhaust tape from a auto parts store and wrap the cable in that one spot

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OK. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion...I've never used it. Does it repel the heat or it just won't melt but still get hot. the other concern is the heat on the cable over time.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
They use plastic covered cable because the cable goes 90 degrees around a nylon guide near the idler pulley. Without the plastic the cable would wear a groove into the guide and cable would get jammed into groove a auger would not stop when bail handle was released.
Because of past problems with wear on the guide, Toro came out with an aluminum guide that works good with the uncoated stainless cable. Hopefully they will correct the exhaust heat problem.
Toro 140-3660 Clutch Cable Guide Replacement Kit Genuine OEM replaces 108-4919 | eBay

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is the angle of the handle adjustable? Because the handle/cable looks a good bit closer to the muffler outlet in some of your pics vs the others. It seems that when comparing it to the previous design, the more open engine design of the later models moved the muffler back and up, closer to the cable/handle. Hope they come up with a solution soon because I like the 721 and 821.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
no, unfortunately it's in a fixed position secured to the frame. As you likely know, the handle can fold over when not in use but the lower end which keeps the cable and bar close to the muffler exhaust is fixed. Toro will need to provide an aftermarket pipe to direct the exhaust away from the cable. Again, just a REALLY bad design!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Some way to redirect the exhaust hmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i think we should drive the product company (Toro) to adapt and change...heck, they are using us as a test bed -- it's a defect...fix it!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
i think we should drive the product company (Toro) to adapt and change...heck, they are using us as a test bed -- it's a defect...fix it!
It depends on the number of complaints that reach Toro and it's dealer network. Only Toro knows those numbers. Some customers will be happy with a new cable. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
It depends on the number of complaints that reach Toro and it's dealer network. Only Toro knows those numbers. Some customers will be happy with a new cable. Time will tell.
And the new cable will do the same thing?
Tell them you want a case of cables. :geek:

21 - 40 of 50 Posts