Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Toro 724 38050. I'm replacing the drive shaft bearing and would like to know if a little bit of wobble/movement, at the edge maybe 1/16 in, is normal on the reverse disc? Or, should it be completely tight ?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks ! I've got the whole traction assembly apart, in order to replace that shot bearing, and wanted to make sure before I put it all back together again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Btw, I seem to have an extra washer. According to the Toro parts diagram, one goes between the top of the reverse disc shaft and the bearing. The second between the bearing and the spacer. I've got a third, maybe between the spacer and the roll pin or as the second between the bearing and spacer. There's certainly enough room and may "tighten" things up a bit.??

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Btw, I seem to have an extra washer. According to the Toro parts diagram, one goes between the top of the reverse disc shaft and the bearing. The second between the bearing and the spacer. I've got a third, maybe between the spacer and the roll pin or as the second between the bearing and spacer. There's certainly enough room and may "tighten" things up a bit.??
THE correct term is thrust washer. and yes that would help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oooh, I love it when there's "dirty" talk in the forum :)

Thanks, I'll add it as the second thrust washer between the bearing and the spacer. One odd ball spacer. It's totally flat on one side and concave on the other...very bizarre.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DID you getter done???????????;););););););););););););)
Ha, you beat me to it.:)

Yes, all back together and tight as a drum, even the slight wobble is gone . Thanks again for your input.

The one thing that the service manual omits is how tight the nut on the eye bolt should be (on the hex shaft with drive wheel). I have to take the bottom cover off again anyway because the machine is going faster in 2nd gear than it is in 3rd. My feeling is that the eye bolt nut tightness is affecting this, or the traction disc is slipping??

I don't have it particularly tight because of the 2 spring washers. Plus, the original setting wasn't accurate because someone had previously disassembled it.

Lastly, the engine runs rough at slow speeds and no matter of fiddling with
the mixture screw smooths it out. I am going to change the spark plug and get some fresh gas and give it another go_Other than that, seems all is in good shape.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi rapscallion,
I have a 38050 as well. The cure for the rough low idle is a carb clean and rebuild. Most likely your idle circuit is fouled a bit behind the jet screw. Also the bowl nut behind the high speed jet has very small holes between its threads that can become clogged. A good cleaning and replacement of your bowl gasket, float needle and seat should make her purr. MH

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Ha, you beat me to it.:)

Yes, all back together and tight as a drum, even the slight wobble is gone . Thanks again for your input.

The one thing that the service manual omits is how tight the nut on the eye bolt should be (on the hex shaft with drive wheel). I have to take the bottom cover off again anyway because the machine is going faster in 2nd gear than it is in 3rd. My feeling is that the eye bolt nut tightness is affecting this, or the traction disc is slipping??

I don't have it particularly tight because of the 2 spring washers. Plus, the original setting wasn't accurate because someone had previously disassembled it.

Lastly, the engine runs rough at slow speeds and no matter of fiddling with
the mixture screw smooths it out. I am going to change the spark plug and get some fresh gas and give it another go_Other than that, seems all is in good shape.
you will have to play with the eye bolt for that issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi rapscallion,
I have a 38050 as well. The cure for the rough low idle is a carb clean and rebuild. Most likely your idle circuit is fouled a bit behind the jet screw. Also the bowl nut behind the high speed jet has very small holes between its threads that can become clogged. A good cleaning and replacement of your bowl gasket, float needle and seat should make her purr. MH
Thanks motorhead. Is there a particular rebuild kit that you can recommend?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Here is one currently listed on the Bay...my number reference is 631029 for Tecumseh. Make sure your carb was not "updated" to one with "fixed" jets, as this one has the original adjustable jet screws for both high speed and idle. MH

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. Mine is a 1981 that I bought used in '85, so I'm sure it was never updated. Mine definitely has the adjustable screws for both low and high speed.

I can't even get to idle at the "Slow" indicator on the shift panel. It misses almost like it's ready to backfire.

I've seen posts that people state they changed the points and capacitor on this model, yet nothing in the service manual to indicate that it has either one.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The Toro 38050's prior to 1986 all had points/condenser magnetos. 1986 model year they switched to c-d solid state ignitions. MH

1 - 20 of 34 Posts