Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up a Toro 724 today for free and possibly need some advise. not sure exactly what to do with it. i just finished swapping motors and getting my Ariens snow blower running and working for the year. too cold out to really wrench on it. was thinking about at least trying to get it running. i forget whether my brother in law said it ran or not. i figure if i keep it i may end up picking up a newer more reliable Honda clone motor. i think i was also told i the impeller shaft bearing is bad. any recommendation on the best place to look to get one or possibly a part number? also anyone know what shade of red they are from the factory. been thinking that if i keep it i will want to make it look pretty and stock. don't really care much for the way it is currently painted.
the only shot i currently have of the thing. it is heavy

·
Banned
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i might try pricing out the bushing at the local stores first. seems most of those have like a $20 shipping charge to Canada.

i am not sure what motor i might put on it. i may end up just putting whatever engine i catch on sale at the time on it. i currently got a princess auto powerfist engine on my Ariens that i picked up on sale for $135 after taxes. couple months back the local store had a kohler engine on sale for $115 after taxes. considered picking one up but decided not to because i didn't really need it. wasn't expecting to pick up a 3rd snow blower.
here is a pic of my Ariens snow blower. it was pretty clean. i did a few touch ups but nothing major

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
using the modle and serial number go on toro's website and download the owners manual

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
by the way that engines not original, thats an hm80, the original would have been an hh70 i think, the old tecumseh probably threw its rod like they all do

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
i forgot about the paint question so here goes. toro red came on two shades of red and you can still get them through ebay or a toro dealer but i've only seen them in a rattle can

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. i am pretty sure my BIL said the engine had been replaced since it says 8hp and should be 7hp. i think i was also told the electric start don't work because it is the wrong starter for the engine.

i might see about trying to find the model number and serial so that i know how to tear the thing apart. i am not even sure if i will paint it an exact toro red. i might end up settling for close enough as long as it is a nice red paint.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the blue isn't bad other than the fact rust is coming through all over the place. i personally preffer having the snow blower a brighter color. i don't know if i will do the candy apple red. i was possibly thinking of using engine enamel paint which kind of limits my selection but the ford red look pretty good. i like the engine enamel. the stuff always seem to go on pretty good and is oil and gas resistant.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
thanks. i am pretty sure my BIL said the engine had been replaced since it says 8hp and should be 7hp. i think i was also told the electric start don't work because it is the wrong starter for the engine.

i might see about trying to find the model number and serial so that i know how to tear the thing apart. i am not even sure if i will paint it an exact toro red. i might end up settling for close enough as long as it is a nice red paint.
Here is a link to the Toro two stage service manual that Shryp was so kind to post. A lot of good info for the tear down.

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/2stagdrv.pdf

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks. don't think that would be the issue with this one. the blower looks like it is pretty old. nothing too bad. just old and worn out plus if there was any issues like that on any of my snow blowers i would just weld them up but i am cheap. i was sitting on the fence about fixing up the Ariens after i realized i would have to replace the motor. still not sure whether it was a good idea or not but since it is so clean i am pretty sure i could always get my money back out of it if i decided it don't work that good.

Here is a link to the Toro two stage service manual that Shryp was so kind to post. A lot of good info for the tear down.

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/2stagdrv.pdf
thanks. i still haven't had a chance to pull the exact model number. the weather around here has been pretty bad the roads are all ice.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't think it is eating belts. i never said it was. i was just told by my BIL that the impeller shaft needs a new bearing. at this point in time i am just having to take his word for it until i have a chance to look into it myself. its not like i really need the snow blower but i am not going to just let the old beast be sent off to scrap because it needs a little TLC.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Well, I guess I'm a living example that crack doesn't smoke itself. I must have goofed when I cut and pasted as you didn't mention anything about it eating belts. I see why you're confused, now I am and I'm wondering what I posted to the thread that was about the guy with the machine eating belts :eek:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Ah, I'd getting running, and then worry about the paint. It's looks pretty solid from the pics you've posted.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it does seem pretty solid. it was pretty heavy and a bit difficult to load into the back of my ramcharger but i guess having ramps would have helped but i was really not planning on picking up a snow blower originally when i was visiting.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i was wondering if it is possible to tell if the impeller shaft bushing is good or bad by just lifting up and down on the impeller shaft in the bucket? the only reason i ask is because i was and it seemed fairly solid. the only thing that got my looking at it was there as some drips under the auger gear box on the card board in my vehicle and a bit of what looks like gear oil on the bottom of the gearbox. my brother in law said it was making noise and thought it was the impeller bushing but now i am starting to think otherwise. the only thing that is really stopping me from tearing this thing apart is lack of a work area. my main work area is outside and the weather has not been very nice lately.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts