Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out the blower and went to start it and the starter bombed on me. I pulled the pull rope and it jammed. I started tearing it down and found behind the flywheel the stator broke off of the engine block! there appears to be another mount (not sure why it is there)on the bottom. Is it possible to just remount it there?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Welcome jaywhy!

yes, you can mount the stator there (assuming the stator isn't also damaged)...just be careful how you route the wire...flywheel will make short work of it.

The damage done to the oil seal is a little troubling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome jaywhy!

yes, you can mount the stator there (assuming the stator isn't also damaged)...just be careful how you route the wire...flywheel will make short work of it.

The damage done to the oil seal is a little troubling.

Great news, i thought i was SOL. Do you have a recommendation on which way to run the wire?
Do you know if this is a common occurrence by the way?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Great news, i thought i was SOL. Do you have a recommendation on which way to run the wire?
Do you know if this is a common occurrence by the way?
When I 1st saw it, I assumed it was from jamming something back there to pry the flywheel off. If this is what happened, that's probably pretty common since the L-head service manual advises against using a puller.

I guess another way is for the starter to somehow grab the stator output wires...is that what happened?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I 1st saw it, I assumed it was from jamming something back there to pry the flywheel off. If this is what happened, that's probably pretty common since the L-head service manual advises against using a puller.

I guess another way is for the starter to somehow grab the stator output wires...is that what happened?

I used a puller, I have no idea what happened it just locked on me when i tried to pull start. Looking at the stator now I think I need a new one!
I was hoping to have it running for this east coast storm this weekend

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to order one off ebay before i put it all back together. Is there anything special I should look out for putting it back together?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Im going to order one off ebay before i put it all back together. Is there anything special I should look out for putting it back together?
They're pretty straightforward.

- route that wire so it's tight against the block.
- inspect the inside of the flywheel to make sure none of the alternator magnets were ripped-off & out of place.
- use loctite on the fastener ( I wonder if it came loose allowing the stator to rotate & the flywheel grabbed it when you tried to start it)

also, keep an eye on the rear of the engine for oil-loss...make sure that oil seal wasn't compromised.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The stator is just used for lights. There should be a separate coil on the outside of the flywheel for the spark plug. You should be able to put it back together without the stator and use it that way. You won't have a headlight anymore, but you will at least be able to use the machine and wait for warmer weather to fix it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If you really want it going befroe you get the parts you can just go without lights/heaters/etc and forget the stator for now. Hopefully that oil seal doesn't leak..... good luck to ya. Sounds like you are going to need it no matter what!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys!!!! Luckily for me i didnt have a heater/lights or anything using the stator anyways. I didnt know it would run without it. I got it all back together, even threw a fresh plug on it. Started first pull!!
Rock on and thank you all again!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thank you guys!!!! Luckily for me i didnt have a heater/lights or anything using the stator anyways. I didnt know it would run without it. I got it all back together, even threw a fresh plug on it. Started first pull!!
Rock on and thank you all again!
Works way better when you get that stator core out out of the way :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys one more problem, when i turn the knob control off choke it revvs up pretty darn high, any idea what I effed up?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
ok guys one more problem, when i turn the knob control off choke it revvs up pretty darn high, any idea what I effed up?
Did you disconnect the governor linkage, when you disassembled it go get at the fly wheel. If so, maybe you got the control rods in the wrong holes reassembling it. or it jammed up between some bits of the cowling. It sounds like the governor is unable to close the throttle plate to maintain 3600 RPM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you have the carb off ??
No I didn't take off the carb, i did take the knob off to take off the side covering the carb but i did not move the upside down L piece that the knob turns (if that makes sense) It sounds great at idle but as soon as i turn the knob left it revvs like crazy. It doesnt continuously keep revving higher, it peaks and stays up high

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It sounds like the governor is unable to close the throttle plate to maintain 3600 RPM. Are you able to manually close the throttle at the carb once its running? If not, you definitely have some part of the throttle linkage stuck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you disconnect the governor linkage, when you disassembled it go get at the fly wheel. If so, maybe you got the control rods in the wrong holes reassembling it. or it jammed up between some bits of the cowling. It sounds like the governor is unable to close the throttle plate to maintain 3600 RPM
I did remove it, but i am sure it is all placed back correctly. May I have tightened the governor linkage too far one way or the other when i removed it?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I did remove it, but i am sure it is all placed back correctly. May I have tightened the governor linkage too far one way or the other when i removed it?
Did you remove the governor arm? Thats the part that attaches to the shaft that comes out of the engine. There is a specifc adjustment for that part that has to be done with the engine off. The adjustment method depends on the engine model.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts