Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading my snowblower. I've got a Honda HS520 that isn't really cutting it. Just inherited a mid 90's snapper medium frame, but the engine on it has some major issues. So I found this. Don't know anything about it, owner wants $400. Any advice would be appreciated. I've been looking on these forums for good recommendations, and it seems ariens and toro are the sure bets. Let me know what you think of this one.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
For this time of year that is a fair price. the machine is very clean, does not like it was used to much. so yeah GO 4 IT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Hope to check it out this morning. I've been trying to decide between this and an Ariens 1032. This seems to be cleaner, and I think it has a briggs engine in it, which I prefer. Haven't been researching long, so I've been cramming a lot into my head the last few days. The large drum style auger had me wondering which way to go, but I don't think I'm to worried about it now. Hopefully there won't be any problems when I see it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks to be in very good condition. The drum auger is very strong and stops the machine from ingesting too much snow (when machine starts to wiggle back and forth you have to back off a little). That is a Briggs on there and it has an elec starter. I would check the auger gear box for leaks and also the impeller to see if there is any play in the bearing. If everything on the machine is working OK, I think it is an OK deal.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
That Toro has wheel clutches controlled by a push/pull rod on each side to help turn the machine around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. The 1032 available locally is asking for $550. It's probably worth it, but this looks like the better deal. And I'm not sure I need a full 32" cleaning path. There is also a very nice old John Deere 826 that I would think about, but he's asking $650, which seems way out of line.

I know I'll be seeing this one in the flesh so I'll answer this on my own later, but the bars on this thing look like they are really low and pointing down. I know that's how they're supposed to be, but I'm wondering how I'm going to fit with it. I'm 6'6". I've watched a few youtube videos, and looks like the operators are hunched over a bit holding onto things. I've been this tall for a long time, so I'll get used to anything. Just curious if anybody has any experience with this "problem":biggrin:

Definitely planning on offering $300 if all is well and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
toro 826
model 38150
briggs powered 190402
just sold mine a couple weeks ago

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Awesome machine especially with the Briggs...powerful, smooth-running engines. +3 in trying to get the seller down a little however 300-400 isn't unreasonable for a running, full-functioning commercial-grade machine IMHO.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have that same model Toro that I refurbished last year....just waiting for snow in New England to sell it. I wouldn't let mine go for less then $350, and even though I put a lot of time and effort into the redo ( valve job, new carb, new points and condenser,sanding and painting,new skids etc) I would say that the condition of that Toro makes it worth considerably more. The only thing I didn't like about the design of that Toro was the intricacy of the clutches to help turn it.....a lot of little parts to maybe fail....or freeze up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I came home with it. It looked very clean in person. I can tell that the carb needs rebuilt for sure. Also, the starter recoil only engages when it wants to. I thought those two things were trivial. Hoping I didn't just purchase a pile of problems. Auger and impeller seem tight and no horrible noises while in operation.

One question for starters. The two "levers" or "paddles" on the handlebars are disconnected. They appear to be safety devices intended to kill the engine if they are not held to the bar. Is that correct? If so, they are totally disconnected. So the key and the levers serve no function at the moment. I'm guessing this is somewhat common, and to be honest I'm happy with that particular modification.

There is one issue that I decided to overlook for the moment, but I'm hoping you don't tell me I made a big mistake... The transmission seems to work fine, but the reverse gear only stays engaged if I hold it in reverse. Is this normal, or is there something amiss here? I felt the drive system on these is so simple that if it's not normal, the problem should be easy to fix. Please advise me further.

Also, I just sat down and haven't scoured the forum yet, but I would like to do some preventative maintenance right now before I use it to hopefully avoid any future problems. I need to know what to look for. I plan to take the auger apart, and if it's not to much trouble, take a look inside the gear box. I can't imagine it's that big of a deal, but I'd like to see if everything is looking good, rather than just shoot some grease in and hope for the best. In other words, I would enjoy taking it apart just to see how it works, as well as check on it's overall health.

If there is a thread on here that addresses most if not all of these things, please let me know. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'll be doing my own research as well, but have 2 kids at the house on Christmas Break. So as much as I'd like to sit on the computer right now, I should probably spend some time with the family first.

I'll get some pictures posted up when I get an opportunity.

The plan is to get it in tip top shape for this winter season, then tear it down and make it look pretty this summer.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Do yourself a favor and download a manual for it. Sounds like you have to work through it a bit to get things going. The levers on the handle bars are to engage either the auger or the wheels. Also, when it's is a gear, it should hold/stay in that gear. Looks like you need to be sure that the drive disk is clean and adjusted properly as a first thing. you will have to unbolt the bottom of the trans pan and see what things look like. Good video's on youtube that Donnyboy has posted on lots of things and how to's.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Those older Toro blowers had a safety system that relied on a bunch of micro switches that would kill the ignition if you let go of one of the handles. Most people disconnect them when the give trouble, but I always spend way more time then it's worth with a multimeter figuring which switch is bad. If everything is good, the problem is usually with the interface module on the block. I had to replace two last year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll definitely get a manual for it. The two levers on the bars only have electrical wires going to them, so I'm pretty sure they are just safety devices. The tranny does stay in gear with the forward speeds, just not in reverse. So I'm sure your right, a slight adjustment is probably necessary.

Thank you all for the help. I'll keep this thread going as I go through the new toy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately the manual is not available online. If anybody has a source for one I'd love to hear about it. The parts list is available, so I'm confident that I can figure everything out from there, but a manual is never a bad thing to have either.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
rack, You'll likely be interested in this part of the machine eventually:icon_smile_wink: That metal spring steel "tab" and proper lubrication seem to be the focal points to keep the system working (3rd and 4th pics)
Wish you good luck with that fine looking old girl.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tip. I did check to make sure each wheel disconnect worked properly before buying. To be honest, this was a selling point to me. I think it's pretty smart. Even though it is a wear item, I don't see it wearing out to quickly. I like manually locking and unlocking the wheels, vs an automatic style. Less convenient, but I see it as easier to fix down the road. I was hoping to download a manual to see how to properly lubricate them (and the rest of the machine). I'm sure it's in here on the forum someplace.

I have a question though. What is the difference between my early 80's 826 and the older 70's models? I looked through the photo history sticky and it looks like they are more or less identical. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I think I have and owners manual for the 826 on my computer, pm me your email address and i'll get it to you

1 - 20 of 49 Posts