Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By no means am I a small engine guy, so bare with me. Christmas Eve my Toro CCR 3650 worked fine. Went to fire it up Christmas Day, ran for a couple seconds and die, won’t restart.

I rebuilt the carb last year and only use ethanol free in it. The pull start can’t really be pulled without a ton of force and electric start won’t work (I don’t think it ever did).

I pulled the spark plug and got some liquid to pour out. The piston moves inside the cylinder freely with the plug out. When I put the plug back in the pull start has a ton of tension and I can’t really pull it.

Can someone please help?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wonder if the float is sticking open and flooding the cyl with fuel, actually hydrolocking it with gas. I’d take the carb off turn it upside down and see if you can blow thru the carb fuel inlet pipe, if so the float is not sealing. To check for spark fab up a grounding wire; get 2 large alligator clips attach each to a wire and with the spark plug out of the engine and hooked up to the plug wire connect one clip to the metal body of the plug the other clip to the engine to ground it then pull the recoil starter. If the magneto coil is good you should see a spark jump the gap.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
yep, if liquid poured out, then you have gas in the cylinder, and the engine is hydro-locking. That would be caused from a bad carburetor needle/seat or bad carburetor float. Have you confirmed if it is gas getting into the cylinder?

tx

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Do you have electric start? I would remove the spark plug and and crank the engine over in short cycles so you don't over heat the starter to remove excess gas in the crank case. Make sure the ignition is off so you don't accidentally start an engine fire. If no electric start, you'll have to pull the recoil numerous times.

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of the cylinder, not really sure if gas is getting in to it (also not too sure how I would know). When I pulled the plug and pulled the start, the liquid that came out was black/gray if that helps.

What exactly would be the explanation of the pull start pulling smoothly with the plug out, but friction with the plug in? Hydro locking? Should I rebuild the carb again (or replace it) and put a new spark plug in and see if that helps?

EDIT: also thanks for any help and dealing with my ignorance. I’m realizing I find small engines fascinating so maybe I’ll stick around.

Second edit: I DO have spark.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does that liquid smell like gas? The smell should be obvious. Like I said invert the carb and see if you can blow through the fuel inlet. If so something is keeping the float from closing. There is no other way for liquid to get into the cyl of a 2 stroke air cooled engine unless it was flooded with water.

·
Registered
289 Posts
PS years ago a relative of mine hydrolocked a 4 stroke riding lawnmower. What happened was that he turned in on its side to change the blade. Then flips it back over and can’t pull start it. He thinks the engine is seized. Then calls me and I come over and ask him what he did before this happened, then he tells me he flipped it to change the blade. So now I’m thinking oil hydrolocked and pull the spark plug. He pulls the recoil starter and oil shoots out of the spark plug hole. We put the spark plug back in and it eventually starts with a flame out the exhaust!
A 4 stroke can get hydrolocked with fuel (bad carb float) or oil if it’s flipped the wrong way. A 2 stroke only fuel can cause a hydrolocked condition unless flooded with water.

The same thing can happen to small 4 stroke outboards if you lay them down on the wrong side; the oil seeps past the piston rings and can hydrolock it. They are marked “this side up” for that reason.

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I replaced the carb with the metal one and a new NGK plug for good measure. No more hydro lock issue but now it won’t start...anyone??

·
Registered
342 Posts
Double check you put spark plug wire back on all the way

Have checked for spark?

Is spark plug still wet? A wet plug will not spark

2 cycle engines that have wet plugs have been flooded are hard to clear as excess fuel is down in crank case causing plug to get wet

Like was said before
remove plug
ign off
Choke off

and pull a bunch to clear out fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, replaced the plug as stated above. And yes I do have spark.
Maybe it’s time to give up on this thing, I just don’t wanna have to buy a new one. This one worked perfectly when it was previously working.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Frustrating. You need someone else with a different prospective. Ask for on site help, a visit, from another SBFer. Post where you are from.

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m in Buffalo. I’d definitely prefer someone who really knows what they’re doing from here to come help me as opposed to some random person you know?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
You are new here. There's a lot of smart caring people on here, real hands on problem solving mechanics. The attitude of them is a family unlike other forums. If someone is in your area and has the time, both, you'll be contacted though now may not be the time.

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Done. Thanks everyone. Sorry for the slight incompetence! I guess I’ll keep do some digging. And shoveling 🤬😂

·
Registered
Toro CCR 3650
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
SOLVED: Pardon the frequent updates. However, I just put some fuel right in to the carb and it fired right up but dies when it uses it up.
What would cause something like this? Can confirm it has fuel and a new fuel filter as well.

EDIT: I GOT IT RUNNING! Replaced the line from carb to primer bulb with new line and it fired up first try.
The issue I’m having now is the idle going up and down pretty consistently. What causes this? Could it be bad gas? Or is it likely something more serious?

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
It's called surging, some call it hunting. The carb is dirty, probably in the low jet area. New carb, or clean carb, remove Welch plug if there is one, use a welding tip cleaner to clean all holes, or put Seafoam in the gas, run 2-3 minutes every day for 3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts