Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

I bought a replacement impeller as my original broke up contact with a stray log hidden in the snow.

I've managed to take apart everything except now I am stuck at the Impeller Pulley Hub (#4 in the picture).

Does anyone have advice on how to remove this? Once this is gone I can detached the Impeller shaft and make the replacement.

Thank you!

·
Registered
931 Posts
yep, removal of that pulley is often difficult. I use an air chisel/hammer slowly and carefully on the impeller shaft, while providing some tension up on the pulley. For tension on the pully I use blocks of wood and wood shims, as close as possible to the pulley hub.

tx

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I run into a hub, pulley or even a bearing I find the shaft will not slide through, step one I apply a small amount of solder "paste" around the shaft at the end of the "stuck item".
Step 2, gently heat the area, melting the paste and letting the paste be drawn in between the shaft and the part.
Step 3, (most important) I put down all my tools, check for hot spots and go for a beer.
It takes a while for the paste to work, you cannot rush it, however it is amazing how well it works at loosening up the "build up of .......t" on the shaft.
I also have several bearing splitters and a "twin leg bearing gear puller" that work well.
Just some ideas for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great Idea ! Flux is a cleaner by nature . I like candle wax, heat part, rub with candle, wax follows the heat
Only force the hub, not the sheet metal pulley .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts