Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor brought his lawnmower over to me that was leaking gas from the air cleaner. He said that is usually happens when the weather is very warm. I removed the air cleaner cover and there was some gas there. I removed the carb and did a thorough cleaning. The float and needle appeared to be ok. I put it back together and it started right up. He took it home cut the grass and it is leaking again. Suggestions?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Usually the air cleaner is higher than the carb float bowl. If the needle is not sealing, you might have gas in the oil - give it a sniff. Maybe a carb parts kit to replace the needle and seat? Check the float height also. I assume you checked the float to see if there was gas inside.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The float was fine but all I did was clean the needle and seat maybe they should be replaced. He said it only does it when it is warm outside and today was in the 90s. It almost sounds like it is overheating.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried running it without the air filter and cover to see if you can see?

Is the float needle the type with a rubber tip?
I have run it without the air cleaner and no gas leak. The leak starts after the lawnmower is used for about an hour in hot weather.

The needle does have a rubber tip

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
If the cap wasn't venting wouldn't gas flow be restricted instead of flowing through the air filter?
actually if it is not venting it pressurizes the system on hot days and would put the system under vacuum on cold days. you have likely seen Jerry cans do this in hot or cold weather. the only difference is some carbs handle it better than others. the thermoquad on my elcamino seems to handle pressure well where the holley that use to be on my dodge did not. in my dodges case someone purposefully plugged the vent line. i think i got a similar issue on the elcamino. as of right now i just leave the cap loose so the system doesn't pressurize

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked the gas cap and no issue there. I ran the mower for half an hour in 92 degree heat with the air cleaner removed and no gas leak. Puzzling!!

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I am leaning towards the float and needle
i think you mean needle and seat. i would hope you have already ruled the float out as the issue since it is usually very easy to test. could always install a fuel shutoff if you can't figure out the issue. been using the one on my honda powered mower for a few years. the needle or seat on it is bad and i have been too lazy to replace the carb but as long as you shut the fuel off it is fine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes you are correct I meant needle and seat. I checked the float and it was good. I ran it again today but today it didn't leak even though it is warm out. It has me stumped.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I changed the needle and fired that baby up. He cut his grass and my grass (suckered him into it) and no gas flowing into the air cleaner. It was only in the upper 70's today go figure. Not sure I have found the problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts