Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a brand new Toro Power Max Heavy Duty 1028 OHXE, and have used it for about four hours thus far (not even enough to replace the factory oil).

This morning, during snowplowing, the wheels stopped turning when the handle is held down. I found the link drive (rod?) sheared off near the base of the unit:

173446


The unit is still under warranty, so I'm not expecting an issue getting it serviced... but I admit to be flummoxed why such a part would break so easily. Given how much movement this gets, it feels like a very thin piece of metal.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it possible to replace it with a cable instead of a rod to avoid this kind of breakage in the future?
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
10,769 Posts
Welcome to SBF lieut_data
173453


I tried to look up the part using 38802 & 38841 as model numbers and couldn't find that rod. What is the model and first three of the serial number on the ID plate ?
I would imagine that rod might have been damaged during production or installation as I haven't come across any other mention of this as an issue.


.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
838 Posts
Did you buy it from a dealer or big box store?

Chances are the rod was defective, but could be incorrectly assembled or incorrectly set up?
 

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Joined
·
93 Posts
Welcome to SBF lieut_data View attachment 173453

I tried to look up the part using 38802 & 38841 as model numbers and couldn't find that rod. What is the model and first three of the serial number on the ID plate ?
I would imagine that rod might have been damaged during production or installation as I haven't come across any other mention of this as an issue.


.
It's not well identified, but is found in the parts page for the Auger Drive Assembly, #39 in the attached.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for such quick responses and a warm welcome! I ended up finding the same document as PIOM linked above, and agree that the part in question is likely the Link Drive (#39) as suggested. (For completeness, the Model No. is indeed 38841, and first three digits of the serial number are 406.)

I avoided the big box store and bought it from an authorized Toro dealer -- happy to name the dealer (as I'm otherwise quite satisfied!), but don't want to run afoul of any forum rules.

Chances are the rod was defective, but could be incorrectly assembled or incorrectly set up?
I'm the proverbial newbie when it comes to snowblowers -- this the first I've ever owned and operated -- but one thing that struck me odd was how much pressure my left hand required to keep the blower moving. I chalked it up to being new or my being unexperienced, by my hand would ache from fighting against the spring in the handle. I wonder if this is related?

I'll be aiming to take the unit into the dealer Monday morning (or have them pick it up -- not sure I can Odyssey it there ;P), and will provide further details for posterity.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
welcome to the SBF

looks like that rod was fatigued when it was bent as it broke right at the bend. yes it should be warranty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
838 Posts
I'm the proverbial newbie when it comes to snowblowers -- this the first I've ever owned and operated -- but one thing that struck me odd was how much pressure my left hand required to keep the blower moving. I chalked it up to being new or my being unexperienced, by my hand would ache from fighting against the spring in the handle. I wonder if this is related?

I'll be aiming to take the unit into the dealer Monday morning (or have them pick it up -- not sure I can Odyssey it there ;P), and will provide further details for posterity.
I have not operated that machine, but there should not be enough tension to cause your hand to ache from fighting against the lever.
Both the right and left hand levers should have about the same amount of tension.
 

·
Registered
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Joined
·
93 Posts
one thing that struck me odd was how much pressure my left hand required to keep the blower moving.
Might be related to the broken link rod, which moves with the left side traction control lever. Perhaps there was a problem in the linkage to begin with and the extra pressure required to maintain movement was a factor in the rod breaking. Hopefully the dealer will not only just replace the rod but correct the underlying issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer did replace the rod, but just this morning the new rod broke in exactly the same place:

176353


The metal itself seems not to be high-quality, but the kind that's used in cheap or low-stress scenarios:

176354


I'm having them take it back in again, but will push harder for a permanent resolution here. Only half my driveway got cleared, but fortunately I have a neighbourhood farmer on speed dial :p
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top