Snowblower Forum banner

Toro Power Shift 824 Reverse gear issue

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  flacoramos 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

I'm restoring a 1989 Power Shift 824 and now have it moving after tearing down and cleaning the transmission. Now my question is how reverse gear works. It will go in reverse, moving somewhat faster than I expected, and when I release the traction handle it comes to an abrupt and hard stop as the wheels lock up. I can then put it in any gear and the transmission works fine. Is this normal? I don't want to damage the transmission after getting it to funcion. Thanks.

#3 ·
The control box for the transmission has what is called a "shift lockout" that holds the shifter in the reverse gear until the traction lever is released. When this lockout is broken or sticking, then the transmission can snap directly from reverse to forward speed without releasing the traction lever. This is hard on both the blower and the operator.
You need to find a copy of the powershift control adjustment manual to help guide you through locating the lockout.
Perhaps others here can help you find a current online source.

#7 ·
The control box for the transmission has what is called a "shift lockout" that holds the shifter in the reverse gear until the traction lever is released. When this lockout is broken or sticking, then the transmission can snap directly from reverse to forward speed without releasing the traction lever. This is hard on both the blower and the operator.
You need to find a copy of the powershift control adjustment manual to help guide you through locating the lockout.
Perhaps others here can help you find a current online source.
I spoke with a Toro master dealer yesterday and he said what I'm experiencing is normal. The lockout works and when you release the traction lever it is supposed to stop the wheels as I'm experiencing. It's a quirk with the design of the transmission. I'm accustomed to an Ariens with the friction plate which obviously works differently.

Also the manual calls for an RJ17LM plug. It had an RJ19LM in it running fine and when I put in the colder Rj17LM it was hard to start, ran rough and backfired. Switched plugs back and it's fine. Not sure why the manual called for the RJ17LM.....then again it's 31 years old and a little worn by now.

Thank you

#8 ·
If the lockout is actually working properly then you're probably dealing with an issue of timing between the lockout release and the clutch release.
Ideally the lockout allows the transmission to slip from reverse to 2nd gear forward after the clutch has fully disengaged the motor from the tranny pully. If the clutch is not disengaged at all you go instantly to forward speeds and if it's only partially disengaged then when the lockout releases you can get a jerk as the tranny pulley goes from spinning to stopped.

#10 ·
If the lockout is actually working properly then you're probably dealing with an issue of timing between the lockout release and the clutch release.
Ideally the lockout allows the transmission to slip from reverse to 2nd gear forward after the clutch has fully disengaged the motor from the tranny pully. If the clutch is not disengaged at all you go instantly to forward speeds and if it's only partially disengaged then when the lockout releases you can get a jerk as the tranny pulley goes from spinning to stopped.
I think I have this issue as well. Care to elaborate what to look for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.