Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced a worn belt for the auger on my Toro 622. When cleaning snow, I notice the left auger is struggling to spin. When freely engaged both augers work fine. What could the problem be?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Funny you mention this :) ...i had the same issue this morning and actually both of my shear pins broke off (maybe during our last Dec storm???). Luckily had spare parts and replaced both shear pins. Waiting for our Nor'easter to calm down before heading back out again....without the shear pin, I think the auger can spin freely just with the friction but once you apply some kind of load (e.g., snow), the shaft / axle may just spin without the auger. check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Drum augers (right). Check for missing bolt on the side that does not move, as sometimes the nut comes loose and the bolt fall out. The bolt holes will be on the outside of the drum axle near the bucket sidewall. Putting a new bolt back in is a real trick, so no help there. I'm not sure what the best type of bolt to use is, because it is technically not a shear pin. In a pinch any low grade bolt should do. I would avoid a really strong bolt Grade 8 or stainless because they may be too strong for the purpose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@captchas Thanks for the input. So as long as we get a grade 5 bolt (with the right size, of course), we can use that bolt as a shear bolt, and NOT buy OEM? I was wondering about buying something from Home Depot as the current OEM shear bolt / pin has a narrow "neck" - not sure this makes any differences. Again, thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You were all correct. One pin broke. With the lack of options during this storm, I just made one out of an Allen key just to hold me over. Worked like a charm. Will find the correct hardware later this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.