Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the blower out of storage, filled it with gas, fired right up. I noticed that when I put it in gear it wants to go, without pressing the handle. It's enough that I can't hold it back in the low gears.

It worked fine when I parked it at the end of last season. What can I bash with the BFH to loosen things up?

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
welcome to the SBF and your first post .

having been a powershift owner i would take off the belt cover and inspect the pulleys for rust and possible rodent nests check the cables to see if they move freely, and are not holding the clutch assembly on under the cover

nothing inside a big hammer will help to free up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Where Did You Park It. The Belts Need Adjusting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welcome to the SBF and your first post .

having been a powershift owner i would take off the belt cover and inspect the pulleys for rust and possible rodent nests check the cables to see if they move freely, and are not holding the clutch assembly on under the cover

nothing inside a big hammer will help to free up.
I'll dig in there. I do know that the cable is working somewhat, I can hold the machine back if it's in a higher gear but will move if I push the handle. Just doesn't seem to be releasing all the way. Like you said, might be something in there making things stick together, because I know it was free when I parked it.

Where Did You Park It. The Belts Need Adjusting.
I keep it outside, but in an old horse stall, so it's got a roof, and closed on three sides. When the seasons change, I swap the mower and the blowers from shed to stable and vice versa.

I have the Operating Manual and the Service Manual, it looks like adjustments are made at the handle side of the cable. Should be easy enough.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I'm with Captchas, open everything up and check for nests.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
i had 2 powershifts a 1988 624 and a 97 824, one i had problems with corrosion inside a cable with a new cable fixing the issue
multiple times my problem was rodent nests inside over the linkages
they are solid machines keep it running

1 - 6 of 6 Posts