Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I recently got a non-working 1997 Toro Powershift 38540 snowblower from a friend and I am trying to fix it but it won’t start. I’ve siphoned out the old nasty gas, replaced the spark plug and it still won’t start. I poured 19mL of gasoline in the spark plug hole and it started, but only for a couple of seconds. Does anyone have any idea what’s the problem? Could it be a faulty carburetor? Also, did I damage the engine by pouring gas down the spark plug hole? Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile2:
Best regards, Alex

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds like the carburetor needs cleaning.
Go on youtube and watch a couple videos,that’ll give you an idea how to do it.
Search Tecumseh 8hp carb rebuild.
Donyboy73 is one guy on youtube that can help.
I’m pretty sure you did no damage to the engine putting gas directly in the sparkplug hole (combustion chamber)

·
Registered
871 Posts
no damage. easier way is spraying carb /brake cleaner down into carb from choke end.
clean the carb, many a utube vids on techumseh carb cleaning
check fuel lines, shutoff valve, fuel filter.
if first time cleaning it might take a few times to get it right.
buy a clone carb, its cheap and eliminate the carb as the culprit if it does the same thing as the original.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. I took off the carburetor heater box off today, and examined the carburetor. The carburetor bowl looks clean, but the snowblower was kept outside for a couple of years now. I’ll order a new carburetor off amazon and go from there. I’ll attach some pictures of the machine later tonight.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hello and welcome to SBF Powershift. Are you sure the model number is not 38540? If it is, here is a link to the service manual, if you don't already have it.

https://www.toro.com/getpub/6935

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
eBay is cheaper for a carb. However the original is a better carb. Many Chinese carbs have steel fuel bowls but you can swap out the old one.

Rebuilding a carb is time consuming and unless you have every thing right, it's not going to work right. Removal of the Welch plug and a carb solution dunk tank helps tremendously though many times not necessary, sometimes an ultrasonic cleaner is necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll watched a couple of videos on carburetor rebuilds, so I decided it would be better to just buy a new carb. Would this be a good choice? It’s for the Tecumseh HMSK80 engine. My 38540 isn’t listed in the add, but the carb is for the same engine. 640052 Carburetor For Tecumseh HMSK80 HMSK90 8hp 9hp 10hp LH318SA LH358SA for Snow Blower Generator Chipper Shredder 640054 640349 640058 640058A OREGON 50-659 STENS 520-926 Carb (640054)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I finally found the correct carburetor for my snowblower. Is this carburetor adjustable?
632334A Carburetor for Tecumseh 632370A 632110 632111 632334 632370 632536 640105 - Tecumseh 632334a Carburetor

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yes, that is an adjustable carb which will work on your machine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the new carburetor finally arrived. I put it on, adjusted the floater and the machine roared to life! Although, there are still some problems. When the throttle is all the way up, the muffler makes a clanking noise. When I move the throttle down, Sparks start flying out of the muffler. Any ideas of what the problem is? I’ve replaced the oil and the clanking sounds are not that loud but there still there. Does the carburetor need more adjustment, or should I get a new muffler? Attached is a link to my video of my snowblower running on full throttle.

·
Registered
871 Posts
sparks are usually indicative of running lean, adjust mix screw to be richer.
make sure muffler bolts are snug and leave well enough alone. the metal bent tangs for the muffler bolts are done that way so bolts dont unthread themselves, aka locking tabs

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
The metal bent tangs for the muffler bolts are done that way so bolts dont unthread themselves, aka locking tabs
Or flatten those tangs and see if you can remove the bolts to get the muffler off and shake it. If it's rattling you need a muffler but can go ahead and use it for now but at least know it's only the rusted out muffler and not something else.

Remember to bend up those tangs if you do remove it. Muffler bolts like to come loose due the heating and cooling cycles they go through. :wink2:

·
Registered
871 Posts
just be careful taking out those bolts, theyre known to break, else leave well enough alone, snow is a great sound deadening source

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for my ignorance, but where is the mixture screw? Is it the one on the bottom that adjusts the floater, or is it the one on the side in between the bracket to hold the heater box in place?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but where is the mixture screw? Is it the one on the bottom that adjusts the floater, or is it the one on the side in between the bracket to hold the heater box in place?
Take a few pics of yours and i'll point it out to u

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Here is a how-to video from OUR favorite small engine mechanic, donyboy73.

Reactions: Powershift97
1 - 20 of 39 Posts