Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search, but I couldn't find anything. Are the new Toro Snowblowers made in the US by Toro, or did they source the production out.

Thanks, still researching my recent purchase. :icon_whistling::eek:k:

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
THE frames are put together in mexico now. the steel for those frames comes from who knows where. and the motors are made to TORO specs over there in china somewhere. that's my story but I am not sticking to it.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I did search, but I couldn't find anything. Are the new Toro Snowblowers made in the US by Toro, or did they source the production out.

Thanks, still researching my recent purchase. :icon_whistling::eek:k:
Production was moved to Mexico several years ago. The engines are manufactured by Loncin engines of China, they have a good reputation building motorcycle engines there. The oil drains on the side of the engine right next to the tire.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I know some love the predator motors and some don't. But for what it's worth, predator motors are Loncin motors. Written right on the side of every predator motor.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mexico and China are correct. I, for one, had a disdain for China engines..... Till I got my new Toro. The Loncin engine on it is quieter and smoother then my Honda

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that Toro outsourced some of there lower end mowers to MTD. Did they do the same with the Snowblowers?

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
All of the above is correct, but I am completely impressed with my chinese Loncin engine. At least it has a gear-driven METAL camshaft that's bathed in oil instead of a honda OHC wet timing belt system driving a resin (plastic) camshaft. I am also pleased I have an iron cylinder liner on it instead of Honda's nikasil like coating for an air-cooled engine.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
the clones definitely run smoother and quieter then the honda gc consumer engines. between a gx engine a gx engine is just slightly quieter but not enough to make a big difference. both run just as smooth as each other and just pur

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the good info. So far my LCT engine runs good, and starts very easily. As I posted on another thread. I grew up mowing a very large yard, & my churches cemetery. The old Briggs motors, had bushings on the crank shafts, and the cylinders did not have Cast Iron sleeves either. Even with that, they still lasted for years. Kohler used to be one of the only ones that had Cast Iron blocks. I dating myself now.
I also read the Honda now makes their snowblower engines in Thailand. Not sure if that is correct though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It seems like all the manufactures start of with a good design engine till the bean counters weigh in and want more profit. Then the engineers are forced to redesign an over engineered product to make it cheaper, not last as long and easier to build. The Chinese engines are still at the initial well designed and well built stage.. Soon they will demand more profit and cheapen out too

·
Registered
100 Posts
Regardless of assembled in Mexico or USA Toro does most of the major frame stamping in the States. Assembly, quality control, and overall quality hasn't really changed at all since they introduced the PowerMax series around 2000. Still a nice machine. I also have to agree that Loncin makes a fairly decent motor. Other than the initial teething issues, which effected mostly single stages, they seem to be well built and without many of the quality problems currently plaguing the LCT counterparts found on Ariens. If Toro beefed the frame stiffness back up to 90s era levels they'd have a **** fine machine that could compete with any top tier manufacturer. Its the only minor downside that would stop me from recommending someone drop $1500+ without a second thought. Reliability wise they almost never have major problems.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
ive had a few newer Taiwanese hondas and theres honestly no sacrifice in terms of build quality/fit and finish. the one honda series thats been cheapened A LOT are the gc and gcv series engines. they were designed with one thought in mind-to compete with briggs and stratton on the consumer level because they realized they were losing a lot of sales to briggs because people were not shelling out 800-1500 for commercial grade mowers and equipment anymore. that being said, from a reliability and performance standpoint they are a million times better then a briggs but dont expect to get the hours out of them that you will get from a honda gx or even a clone

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Regardless of assembled in Mexico or USA Toro does most of the major frame stamping in the States. Assembly, quality control, and overall quality hasn't really changed at all since they introduced the PowerMax series around 2000. Still a nice machine. I also have to agree that Loncin makes a fairly decent motor. Other than the initial teething issues, which effected mostly single stages, they seem to be well built and without many of the quality problems currently plaguing the LCT counterparts found on Ariens. If Toro beefed the frame stiffness back up to 90s era levels they'd have a **** fine machine that could compete with any top tier manufacturer. Its the only minor downside that would stop me from recommending someone drop $1500+ without a second thought. Reliability wise they almost never have major problems.
Back in the year of 1993. Brand new My DAD dropped 1700.00 on that POWERSHIFT I have now. the powermax line was born unto us. in the year 2005.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts