Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 68 Toro Snow Pup with a Tecumseh 2 stroke with that said it has a three piece crank seal set up and I can't get the seal retainer clips out. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on removing these clips? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me why my Snow Pup says to use S.A.E. #30 Motor Oil ??? Also says Do Not Use Multiviscosity Oil . I have never see this before. I have always and only used a 2cycle oil for fuel , Should I do as the instructions say or am I okay with the regular 2cycle oil ??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Follow mfg and you will be safe.

Clearly they had their reasons, so it follows into two aspects
1. Use 30 weight

2. Have fun and experiment (you may or may not be happy with the results.)
Anecdotally I crossed the Rubicon on oil for a VW diesel. I know diesels forward and backwards and did not believe the you had to use VW oil

It turns out you don't, but you d-well better have an oil that has an EP spec, as it had to have that for the added unit injector cam lobe that they narrowed the valve cam lobes and cam surfaces down to make room for a third thin (high pressure surface) unit injector cam profile and lobe.

Some experimented and said it was fine. Uhhh no, you will only know ok at 25,000 to 100,000 or so and look at your cam lobes and see if they have been chewed down or not.

Me? I went with VW spec oil as it was easy and the internet cowboys had never pulled the valve cover to inspect the cams and lobes to see how their experiment was going.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Can anyone tell me why my Snow Pup says to use S.A.E. #30 Motor Oil ??? Also says Do Not Use Multiviscosity Oil . I have never see this before. I have always and only used a 2cycle oil for fuel , Should I do as the instructions say or am I okay with the regular 2cycle oil ??
back in the old days we only had 30w to use in 2 stroke motors, we used it never had any issue, today your fine with the new low ash 2 stroke oils, just if your spec is 32 to 1 stay there, 40 or 50 stay with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts