Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I have a 1984 Toro 3521 with the original Tecumseh that speeds up when it warms up. When I first start it, it runs fin, and will run at a normal RPM for about 5 minutes. Then, when it is not under a load, it starts to speed up really fast. I don't think it is Wide Open Throttle, but it certainly is faster than I believe it should be. When I hit a load, it really hunkers down, and the rpms decrease, as I would expect it to. But as soon as it has no load, it speeds up. Any thoughts as to what is causing this?
Thanks in advance!
Riley

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Dorked governor is about the only thing. Perhaps binding as things warm and metal expands. Check for dirt, binding, and gently clean and lube as needed . . .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks! Where do I need to clean and inspect? I do not know how to pull the engine to check the governor.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
The gov arm is connected to the throttle plate on the carb via a linkage, and typically a shaft coming out of the engine block. Check those for free motion. No need to remove the engine, just likely the cover over the carb.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lawn toro can you post a picture of your engine. The side to where the carb is located.

If you have a heater box over your carb it is underneath that....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lawn toro can you post a picture of your engine. The side to where the carb is located.

If you have a heater box over your carb it is underneath that....

I will see what I can do for a picture. I do know where that arm is. I tried adjusting it, but maybe I did it wrong.

Riley

·
Registered
772 Posts
I will see what I can do for a picture. I do know where that arm is. I tried adjusting it, but maybe I did it wrong.

Riley

the arm goes behind the engine front cover. as far as i know you cant adjust the old toros Governor.

all they are is a spring attached to the linkage an the other side is controlled by the air from the spinning engine flywheel.

this sounds to me like you are getting an air leak once the engine warms up you are getting air into the engine after the carburetor causing it to run lean and rpms to increase . could be seals could be the gasket after the carburetor, Head bolts might need tightened ect

1 - 7 of 7 Posts