Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here.... picked up two used machines and am 0 for 2 on being good runners. Already have a thread going on the Murray/Brute Snowking, which seems to have carb issues, along with friction disk issues..... thinking this one might need a carb clean as well....

So, it starts pretty quick with the choke wide open, when cold, and messing with the controls, you can get him running full tilt.... but, when you back off the choke, it dies very quickly. At first, it will throw snow with the best of 'em for about 25 feet or so, choke full closed. As it gets hotter, and you'd expect it to be able to open the choke up, you can't... it will die. Then, it will predicable start to bog down under load, and eventually die.

So.... is this a carb issue as well? Is a cleaning the first thing to do?

And... if so, where can I get a good tutorial on it, and buy any parts that are needed? Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
"only runs with choke wide open" (your description) sounds about normal to me.
You CLOSE the choke to help starting with a cold engine. once running you gradually open the choke as the warming-up engine will take it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
YEP - clean her up and then see what you have. The choke makes it rich - so if you can't open it up - than means it's already getting enough air/fuel mix at the point it's "adjusted" to. So you have either excess air getting in, bad mixture screw adjustment, or crappy fuel/dirty jets/passages

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I'd like to try cleaning the carb before replacing it, but I'm having trouble finding and buying the exact parts I should replace when I take the carb apart.

Looking at the videos from Donyboy at youtube, it looks like I should have a gasket where the carb connects to the engine, a gasket (or "O" ring) between the bowl and carb, and two tiny "O" rings on the tube that goes up thru the center and into the throat of the carb. (the high speed idle adjustment?).

I'd like to replace all the rubber/gasket parts. Is there anything else I should change? And most importantly.... where do you guys buy these parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"only runs with choke wide open" (your description) sounds about normal to me.
You CLOSE the choke to help starting with a cold engine. once running you gradually open the choke as the warming-up engine will take it.
Sorry.. was probably a little vague... it never gets to a point where you can OPEN the choke back up. It will start with it closed, and you can even start to throw snow with it still closed, but it never lets you open it back up, and once it gets good and warm it looses power, bogs down and dies. When cooled back off a bit, it'll start again and repeat.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
As stated, running lean. So,

Go for the carb cleaning stuff in the fuel at a pretty high concentration.

Also, if you have a needle valve adjustment under the carb bowl, you could try backing that out a bit to make the mixture more rich.

·
Registered
90 Posts
try seafoam sprayed into the carb either when running or do it as a "soaking" overnight - if you do it when running, outside and stay upwind - lot of smoke. I had an old echo blower that wouldn't run and the seafoam did the trick to clean it and now it runs - good luck

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
main jet is most likely plugged......drop the bowl, take a torch cleaning wire and ream the main jet, reassamble and go move some snow....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts