Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my machine but I’m using it while I wait for a carb. This little toro works great but cold won’t start unless with the electric starter. It’s about a 2000 year model My Ariens has the same everything and fires on one or 2 pulls. What would be the cause of this ? I put a carb on it last summer but the owner says it was that way long before the first carb plugged up. What do I look at first, clean the pick up, check flywheel key??

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I would check the magneto gap, clean the magnet; do a compression test, lap the valves. If the valves are not sharp, on the money, starting becomes harder.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Is the primer line intact, so that it's functioning properly? On older engines, the primer line can degrade and break, but it's not as obvious as a gas line leaking

Agreed that a compression test would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
871 Posts
primer problem or choke plate not closing. does it do it when its warm and/or cold temp

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I’ll definitely give that pick up a cleaning and check the distance with a dollar bill. I sort of doubt it’s the choke as it’s fixed straight to the dial and flips freely and see how it could be hanging up .

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
sounds like primer to me...on my blowers that didn't have a primer, I drill a small hole in the shield that lines up with the mouth of the carburetor, and take the little tube that comes with the can of carb cleaner and squirt a little cleaner or ether into the mouth of the carb before pulling. Saves a lot of swearing.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
check the distance with a dollar bill.

A dollar bill will be to thin. Use a business card which is around .018-.020 thousandths thick.

Reactions: micah68kj

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
A dollar bill will be to thin. Use a business card which is around .018-.020 thousandths thick.
Same thing I use although I have used a matchbook cover as well.

Reactions: Grunt

·
Registered
686 Posts
sounds like primer to me...on my blowers that didn't have a primer, I drill a small hole in the shield that lines up with the mouth of the carburetor, and take the little tube that comes with the can of carb cleaner and squirt a little cleaner or ether into the mouth of the carb before pulling. Saves a lot of swearing.

I never new Tec carbs had this vent hole:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the primer it’s fine but for one thing. The fuels not spraying inside. Primer bulb pressurize but there’s tube is solid? It Makes me wonder if it has a knock out inside that i never thoughtbto punch when I stuck that carb on last year🤪

·
Registered
765 Posts
The primer should be forcing fuel from the bowl into the throat. With the heat box removed you should be able to see gas in the throat when priming. Something is clogged or your primer line is broken and you are not getting the pressure needed in the bowl.

Did you try using starter fluid and pull starting?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope primer line is free and will hold pressure when primer bulb depressed if I block the line. It’s something in the carb completely blocking the inlet. That’s why I wondered if it could have a knockout for fitting other earlier machines, you know aftermarket how they can be. And of course there’s no instructions whatsoever with the Carb. Or very likely a mud dubbed got in there and plugged it up. I was just curious about that other possibility before I go in there and start jamming around with a picK.
In answer to the starting fluid question of course it touches right off with a dose of fluid first pull.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The machine is old enough to have a replacement carb. I wonder if it is a carb with no primer system?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
There is typically a welch plug in the carb body at the top of the float bowl, and the primer line blows into that space. Pull the plug and look . . . if this is an offshore knockoff, they might just not have cared enough to fully drill the passage. In any case, no magic and no metering in the passage, so you should be able to complete it with a small drill if needed (or clean it with same . . . )

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ha, I was right. They sent the carb with a barb that was as plugged internally Way down at the bottom where you could never see it. I pulled it up clamp and some vice grips and drill it out now it starts fine.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Too much chinesium plugging it up . . . I *hate* it when that happens! :) :)

(And it's this kind of crap that has me always try a rebuild first . . .)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
ha, I was right. They sent the carb with a barb that was as plugged internally Way down at the bottom where you could never see it. I pulled it up clamp and some vice grips and drill it out now it starts fine.
Great find! Nice that it was an easy fix, once you identified the possible problems.

Though, did this show up as a new problem? The carb arrived this way. So if the situation changed at some point, maybe there's something else going on as well?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts