Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate to pick-up a very well maintained oldie but goodie and so far I've re-built the carb which really didn't need it but after replacing the tank to carb fuel line and spark plug and opening the fuel shut off valve I got nothing when pulling the cord. This thing has one of those manual push-plate primers which to me are useless but I was reading how you could spray carb/choke cleaner in the choke. So as soon as I did I pulled the cord and she came to life! But it was just for a few seconds and she died. But it was a real soft mutter. Any suggestions as to what I do or check next

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Check to make sure you're getting fuel to the carb, pull the line off at the carb and if you have it there, make sure the needle isn't stuck or the float set too low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check to make sure you're getting fuel to the carb, pull the line off at the carb and if you have it there, make sure the needle isn't stuck or the float set too low.

I did push the drain button at the bottom of the bowl and it's full of fuel. The float didn't have any liquid in it when I rebuilt the carb and when re-installed it was level so I'm assuming the float is not stuck. One thing I did do was the main bowl screw at the bottom of the bowl has an adjusting screw (air/fuel mixture) and when reinstalled I screwed it all the way tight and then just gave it maybe 2 full turns to loosen it. The previous one was 12 half turns but I forgot to adjust it to that same adjustment when installing.

·
Banned
474 Posts
So as soon as I did I pulled the cord and she came to life! But it was just for a few seconds and she died. But it was a real soft mutter. Any suggestions as to what I do or check next

A "soft mutter" sound would lead me to believe it has a low compression condition which in turn would produce low vacuum in the intake stream not being able to pull a good mixture into the engine assuming the carb is OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts