Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn. Looking at the Toro Power MAX 1030 OHAE vs Ariens Deluxe 30. I have never owned any brand but looking to make the purchase this weekend. Any recommendations?
Thanks
CDT

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm torn. Looking at the Toro Power MAX 1030 OHAE vs Ariens Deluxe 30. I have never owned any brand but looking to make the purchase this weekend. Any recommendations?
Thanks
CDT
Welcome to the forum.

First if you are going to compare apples to apples. .

Toro Power Max HD 1030 would compare with the Ariens Deluxe 30 SHO series.

Here is a good website that I found useful to read and compare actual tested snowblowers.
- - -LINK: - The Best Snowblowers For You! Fall 2020 - MovingSnow.com

Also. . try Youtube snowblower videos by Paul Sikkema . .

And. . listing the 2020 Toro and Ariens recommendations. .. .

·
2,394 Posts
welcome to the SBF

both machines are great brands both have good motors, are made to do big jobs, as to which brand, real world it's up to you as to make the pick, which one has the features that you like, toro has the easy to use joy stick, ariens has the bend over crank, to control the deflector

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Do like captchas says and go kick some tires, get behind the handlebars.
If you decided you like the Ariens, consider the Deluxe 28" SHO. It gives you the same engine, is less expensive and with the savings you can add handwarmers if you want.

Reactions: CDT

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do like captchas says and go kick some tires, get behind the handlebars.
If you decided you like the Ariens, consider the Deluxe 28" SHO. It gives you the same engine, is less expensive and with the savings you can add handwarmers if you want.
That's what i did .. . went to 3 shops and 3 stores to compare, test controls, look at build quality plus used the movingsnow website and youtube videos.

The Toro Power Max HD1030 comes with hand warmers so no need to buy and install like on the Ariens 30" . Then the price is the same. Plus. .. when I shopped, the Toro dealer offered the 1030 to me for $1,299 US, so deals at dealers can be found.
Also, no center gear box support bracket on the Toro auger gear box to obstruct snow coming into the blower bucket.

Reactions: Town and Zavie

·
Registered
125 Posts
On the Toro I like how easy the controls are to use, and I think the bucket and chute are better designed. Well overall I just think it's a better design. The 928 seems to do a lot better than you'd expect for its engine size, I'd expect the 1030 to do the same.

On the Ariens I like that the controls are metal, I feel that has a better chance of holding up over 20 years. I also like that the LCT engine, while still made in China, is from an American company, rather than Toro's Chinese Loncin. I don't mind the auger chute control, it gives you more precise rotation and you can also modify it to go further than the stock 200 degrees.

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned much is that Toro apparently had rust issues a few years ago. I don't know if they've resolved that or not. I don't see any mentions of it on 928 reviews, so hopefully they figured it out.

Really, these are mostly subjective opinions. Both are objectively good machines and it will come down to personal preferences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your speedy responses. Looks like I have some more research to do!! Seems like both are good machines. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Being a 42 year Toro owner of snow pups that have never let me down I will tell you from my personal experience you should invest in the Toro. The issues with paint are due to salt and the use of other deicing chemicals IN EXCESS.
There a many things you can do to extend your snow blowers lifespan and we have discussed and used what works for many years.
I would have purchased my 5th Toro if home despot had not screwed me over when I walked in their big box with check in hand and they lied about the offered purchase price on the model that was on the floor.
The only reason I do not have 4 Toro snow pups now is because the first two suffered side frame failures and I did not have them repaired, If I had I would have 4 of them hanging on the wall in the garage.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I like the double belts system on the Ariens. I think they are necessary for heavy snow and the longevity of the belts. Not sure why Toro and Honda don't have that on all of their high end snow blowers.

I like the 14" impeller housing on the Ariens. It allows more snow intake. I know some new Toro have that, too.

The control on the Ariens is all metal so, it feels more heavy duty. The control on the Toro on the other hand is better design and work smoother. I think it is a preference for some people. For me, I like simple and reliable more.

Ariens seem to have more problems with their auto turn, and Toro seems to have more problems with rust.

I still think shear pins are necessary (no matter what they claimed). Toro no longer have shear pins, so it is something I would be concerning about.

Both have Chinese engines. Toro use Loncin engines, which are also on MTD, Craftsman, Troybilt, ... Can't say that I like Ariens LCT engines better either. Just put in more powerful engines if they are going that route.

·
2,394 Posts
[QUOTE (I still think shear pins are necessary (no matter what they claimed). Toro no longer have shear pins, so it is something I would be concerning about.) [QUOTE

QUOTE( Both have Chinese engines. Toro use Loncin engines, which are also on MTD, Craftsman, Troybilt, ... Can't say that I like Ariens LCT engines better either. Just put in more powerful engines if they are going that route.
toro has never had shear pins, on the 2 stage machines they use a normal every day grade 5 bolt it's nothing to be concerned about or dislike

toro uses the loncin made motor, all the MTD brands use power more thier own brand ariens uses the LCT as dose Husqvarna

toros 12 inch works as well as if not better due to the way toro reduces the amount of snow the auger feeds into the impeller .they used to reduce the auger witha drum now they use the highly effective ACR sysytem

·
Registered
511 Posts
toro has never had shear pins, on the 2 stage machines they use a normal every day grade 5 bolt it's nothing to be concerned about or dislike

toro uses the loncin made motor, all the MTD brands use power more thier own brand ariens uses the LCT as dose Husqvarna

toros 12 inch works as well as if not better due to the way toro reduces the amount of snow the auger feeds into the impeller .they used to reduce the auger witha drum now they use the highly effective ACR sysytem
I have a Powermore engine and it looks almost identical to a Loncin engine. For some reason, I thought they were made by the same company. Maybe I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It looks exactly like the belts for my pups being a multigroove serpentine belt like the ones on automobiles and pick up trucks.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Reactions: 140278

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the double belts system on the Ariens. I think they are necessary for heavy snow and the longevity of the belts. Not sure why Toro and Honda don't have that on all of their high end snow blowers.

I like the 14" impeller housing on the Ariens. It allows more snow intake. I know some new Toro have that, too.

The control on the Ariens is all metal so, it feels more heavy duty. The control on the Toro on the other hand is better design and work smoother. I think it is a preference for some people. For me, I like simple and reliable more.

Ariens seem to have more problems with their auto turn, and Toro seems to have more problems with rust.

I still think shear pins are necessary (no matter what they claimed). Toro no longer have shear pins, so it is something I would be concerning about.

Both have Chinese engines. Toro use Loncin engines, which are also on MTD, Craftsman, Troybilt, ... Can't say that I like Ariens LCT engines better either. Just put in more powerful engines if they are going that route.
Agree completely. I have owned both. The Ariens is made better, very heavy duty, will literally last decades. The Toro is made well, more medium duty, but it when it comes down to snow blowing the Toro works better all around. If you are the type of person that cleans and maintains your equipment then get the Toro because it works great if well kept, or else get the Ariens if you just want a machine that will last forever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They are both good machines, I currently have 2019 Toro power max 826oae, I was surprised how well it handled the real deep snow we had with the nor’easter last year. I was also surprised how well it handled the wet slushy stuff as well with the ACS. I like the quick stick controls, the auto steer and no sheer pin design and anti clog system really works well. I wipe my machine down after each use and wax it every year and spray fluid film in the bucket before each season so machine looks new. From what I read on here Ariens. Is a quality machine also but I can only tell you about what I use and have. Good luck what ever you choose…..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts