Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one would be better.... I'm contemplating buying new and just wondering what people in here think.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Both brands enjoy very good reputations.
Either one will certainty serve you well.

What is more important than the specific brand name are the exact features you want, or dont need, the size of the machine as it relates to your snowblower needs, and price..

One other thing to consider:
All *new* 2-stage snowblowers, by all manufacturers, now have engines made in China. Ariens snowblower bodies are still made in the USA. (Amercian made snowblower, Chinese engine.) Toro 2-stage snowblowers are now made in Mexico. (Mexican made snowblower, Chinese engine.)

Scot

·
Registered
38 Posts
"One other thing to consider:
All *new* 2-stage snowblowers, by all manufacturers, now have engines made in China. Ariens snowblower bodies are still made in the USA. (Amercian made snowblower, Chinese engine.) Toro 2-stage snowblowers are now made in Mexico. (Mexican made snowblower, Chinese engine.)"

Maybe I should just polish my st824 and keep it for another winter...
I re-committed to my 20 year old Toro 7/24 after learning that.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i love my toro 824 38080. it performs great with the impeller kit installed, and is built like a tank. i put a 6.5 hp honda clone and honestly it fells more powerful then the original hm80 which had so many issues, and ive got a feeling will last a long time. im expecting to be able to keep the frame for a lifetime with maybe a gearbox rebuild once in its lifetime. i love my toro, and would never get rid of it or sell it for anything. It may be 30 years old, but it is a beast and it has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was my first restoration project 2 years ago when i was 15, and i dont know what i would do without it. I know its only a snowblower, but i love it like a child. My suggestion? Go on craigslist and find yourself a used ariens with a cast iron gearbox or an older toro. they are cheap and plentiful and the frames last forever

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm affraid to say that I might have blown the motor last night :( It still runs but when under load it feels and sounds like it's going to dye (bogging down)

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I don't think that sounds blown. More like it sucked some dirt into the carb or the governor is sticking and it's not getting enough fuel or throttle.

But if the darn thing is going to treat you that way ,, no wax for it !! Time for a new machine !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts