• Other- had, or buying

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious some of the folks here have, and what you do or don't like about it. Looking for info such as:

Brand, capacity (liters), features, such as heated, types of controls (ie: digital vs simple mechanical timer), etc.

What did you pay? Best and worst aspects of this unit? If you had the opportunity it to do over again, would you buy that, or if not, what would you buy if you got a 'mulligan''?

Any tips on how you use it would be good.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I went with the cheapest that I could order through wally world. Pros, it was cheap for a limited use tool. Cons, it's small, and doesn't have a separate heat option. It does heat up, but due to use, and due to it's size, limited to small gas engine carburetors.

If I remember correctly it was in the $30 range.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Harbor Freight 2 liter unit for about $69 with shipping. I use it after I've saked a carb in chem dip. It's heated, works well, digital timer in 180 second amounts.

No complaints.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i have the bottom of the line harbor freight unit. worthless piece of ****
Link
Cleaned at least a dozen carburetors so far. Mostly smaller mower carbs. Only complaint so far is the short amount of time from one cycle. Have to keep monitoring it so you can press the 3 minute start button several times.
I start with hot tap water and heat it some more in the microwave. Some pine-sol and and it looks great. Will get a better one when this does die. Completely sold on the concept. My next one will be more along the lines of this.
link2

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harbor Freight unit vs. Amazon

Was looking at reviews of the smaller Harbor Freight cleaner, and they did not sound especially well built. The bigger Harbor Freight one is not really a bargain. I am also not sure about what kind of capacity I would need (let's say to clean a small engine carb.

Right now the one that is looking good is Amazon.com - INDUSTRAL GRADE 160 WATTS 5.29PINTS DIGITAL HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER + FREE CLEANING CONCENTRATE POWDER & JEWELER'S SUPERMARKET POLISHING CLOTH - Jewelry Cleaning And Care Products

Heated, 2.5 liter, $71 shipped from amazon..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"But honey, you can use it, too"

..that might also qualify as a birthday present for the Mrs.!!!!
That line might have actually worked if she didn't know I would be cleaning a carb with it before she would get to use it..

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have 2 that I bought on Ebay. One 1 litre and the other is a 3 litre. Both are heated units, also. Their the best thing for cleaning cabs and other small parts. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Size matters?

I have 2 that I bought on Ebay. One 1 litre and the other is a 3 litre. Both are heated units, also. Their the best thing for cleaning cabs and other small parts. Well worth the investment.
Is the 1 liter big enough to be useful? Is the 3L a good size, or bigger than you really need? I would hate to buy something small and then spend the next few years wishing I didn't go too small to save a few bucks..

Also, is the heated solution really useful, or more gimmicky?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Heat, no matter how you derive it, will always make any degreasing solution that you use more effective. I use dawn-like dishwashing liquid.

The size of the machine depends on what you intend to use it on, and can afford.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quality vs price

The size of the machine depends on what you intend to use it on, and can afford.
I am surprised that so many here have them. I am guessing that my needs are similar to you guys- lots of small engine devices (3 to 7hp) that can use carb cleanings, plus lots of misc stuff I happen to be taking apart in my various little tinkering projects.

I am OK spending $100 (give or take), but I would be annoyed if I spent that much for something that was stereotypical Chinese Crap and failed after 1 to 2 dozen uses. Harbor Freight is ok for some things. Frankly, their quality makes me nervous when it comes to something like an ultrasonic cleaner. I see that as an investment that should yield years of service. I have found many electrical tools from HF to be a third of the price,
but a tenth of the lifespan.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I am surprised that so many here have them. I am guessing that my needs are similar to you guys- lots of small engine devices (3 to 7hp) that can use carb cleanings, plus lots of misc stuff I happen to be taking apart in my various little tinkering projects.

I am OK spending $100 (give or take), but I would be annoyed if I spent that much for something that was stereotypical Chinese Crap and failed after 1 to 2 dozen uses. Harbor Freight is ok for some things. Frankly, their quality makes me nervous when it comes to something like an ultrasonic cleaner. I see that as an investment that should yield years of service. I have found many electrical tools from HF to be a third of the price,
but a tenth of the lifespan.
I agree, but I do not know if you could find one, not made in china.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Varying quality of Chinese goods

I agree , but I do not know if you could find one, not made in china.
Seems to me that some Chinese goods are ok, some fair, while other things can be poor to terrible. Guessing it comes down to how cheaply they are trying to make something.

I have bought some off-brand stuff that was useless. OTOH, some name brand American companies may hold them to a higher standard (and pay a little more) when they source things from China. (Of course, that is not always the case. In the end, manufacturing cost is probably the biggest thing). If they spec it out and have it made, they may have more control than if they just buy something off the shelf and re-brand it.

With Amazon and some other sellers, I like to look at feedback. Specifically, I look at the most negative of the reviews. Not just the ratio of negatives, but also the description of what they did not like. The occasional crank reviewer is not a concern, but if many people point out a similar failure, that may be a common weakness built into the item.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
haha CC
Look honey. Got you something to make your jewelry sparkle. Perhaps if your not using it I can borrow it...
I bought sweet Bonny a really nice Tika T3 light in .270 with a Nikon Monarch scope last summer for a "just because I love you" present. Talk about being ungrateful... She told me to keep it.;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coulda gone worse... she could have said "Let's go hunting.. you get to be the decoy"
(Old 'Married With Children' line)

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Is the 1 liter big enough to be useful? Is the 3L a good size, or bigger than you really need? I would hate to buy something small and then spend the next few years wishing I didn't go too small to save a few bucks..

Also, is the heated solution really useful, or more gimmicky?
I had to check the sizes i have a 2.5l & 6l. I use the 2.5l the most. Its the perfect size for small engine carbs. The bigger will fir a 4 barrel automotive carb. The heat feature definitely helps and make sure the unit comes with a basket. My bigger one has no basket and its a pain. They say not to let things sit on the bottom, as its suppose to not be good. Also, I use Simple Green , diluted in my machine, the most.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts