Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to be concerned that over the life of the machine, replacement tracks might become unavailable? They are already quite expensive compared to replacement tires for a wheel driven unit. It seems that there would always be some tire and rim combination that could be made to work if a stock replacement tire/rim became unavailable. With tracks I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

Leaf

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would not be concerned. Both tracks and tires are likely to outlast the rest of the machine. In any event, each manufacturer is going to use the same track part# over the course of many years. They have no reason to reinvent the wheel (sorry, pun intended). Track drive is more and more common the farther north you go. Rare here in Chicago, but not so much in Duluth.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
There was a thread on another forum about MTD tracks having problems. Guy said the plastic wheels cracked and he could not find replacements. When 1 broke he only replaced one, but then the next year the other side broke and they were no longer available. We ended up finding a place online that makes custom steel replacements, but those are some money. If you end up in the same position you are going to have to hope you can get a used set from somewhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My tracked machine is new to me. Last night I discovered a foot pedal on the back that locks the tracks from rotating on the axle. Do all tracked machines have this?

I was using it with the tracks unlocked. When I got into anything tough, I was pushing up on the handles so it wouldn't lift up over. I bet locking the axle would have helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts