Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Forum and finding my way around. I first used my brand new Cub Cadet 2x28" this past Feb of '20 in 4" snow fall. It was a wet, heavy snow in the No Ca. Sierra foothills. The machine came with 16x6.5 Xtrac lug, deep tread tires. I thought it would be a piece of cake to clear my 300' of inclined concrete driveway. It was not to be. The machine fired up on the 1st pull; ok we're off and running. By this time the snow had made more slush and hard pack crust. The machine traveled 2' through the slush and reached snow. One machine length through the snow and the tire treads were full of slush/snow and spinning. No traction. I ran this story past the sales rep & he suggested chains. Seemed simple enough until you try to research what chains are appropriate for the Xtrac lug, deep tread tire.I contacted the mfg Carlisle - they responded that their tires do not need chains. Moving on, regular horizontal cross chains will only fall between the deep treads (the Xtrac lugs run horizontally and are not staggered as the nobs on the Carlisle Snow Hog are). The parts list from Cub Cadet provide a Tire Chain for my size tire. When you research the design of the chain it looks like a Z pattern (2 horizontal chains with a diagonal chain connecting them). Once again horizontal cross chain will fall between the lugs. Photos from Cub Cadet show this chain only modeled on a Snow Hog tire with staggered nobs for the cross chains to sit on top of and grip with. I've read some posts elsewhere on the Snowblower Forum that mention Snow Hog & Xtrac tires but without discussion of efficiency with or without chains or type of chains . I did find information on the Ken Jones Specialty Tire web site regarding Xtrac snow tire chains and will include a pix of a modeled Xtrac tire chained up. I will also include the Cub Cadet modeled Snow Hog tire chained up with their recommended chain.I realize that tires and chains pertain to all model snow machines but I focused on the Cub Cadet Forum since they apparently are fitting out their machines with the Xtrac tires and suggesting chains for a completely different design of tire. I welcome your feedback and promise to be briefer in the future.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts