Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new PowerMax 826 OHAE, and when I got it home, I had three reverse speeds and five forward speeds instead of two and six. I adjusted the shift rod so that I had the correct number of gears, but after using it for the first time yesterday, 1st gear is a bit too fast for me. If I try and adjust the shift rod any slower (even one turn), the friction disk seems to be right on the center of the plate, because it will not go forward and sometimes will slip into reverse.

Are there any finer adjustments I can make to the transmission? My driveway is currently on a hill, and I would rather the snowblower not almost pull me down the driveway in 1st and instead have a bit better control of it.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Sounds like you might be happier with how it was adjusted initially. You will have to try different lengths of the speed rod to see which you like best. If may be a trial and error process.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How in the world is there more gears than on other machines??? Post pics of the dash so we can have a look see at this. ALOHA!!!!
I don't think I have more gears than others? My Toro is no different than others that I have seen and used in the past...6 forward gears and 2 reverse grears with a friction disk transmission. I will post pictures later today, though.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
I think how you were adjusting is correct. Any change to forward speeds has the opposite affect on reverse speeds. But you should be able to get 1st speed to a crawl. Then all forward speeds will be a bit slower, and all reverse speeds faster.

Reactions: RIT333

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the delay - life got in the way a bit.

Here's the pictures of my transmission from the dash, the transmission rod, and what it looks like going into the machine.

If I adjust the rod to be any longer (which for my machine slows the speed) even one full turn, the snowblower will not move forward and usually slip into reverse in first gear.

I'm not sure if I can very minimally adjust the bracket that guides the wheel onto the transmission in the last picture?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Automotive tire Bicycle part Carbon Bicycle tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Wheel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts