Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that I have procrastinated purchasing a new snowblower over the last two years. It is even hard to stuff info through the info filter to make a selection. For example, Consumer Reports highly recommends a three stage blower while I read from others......AVOID THREE STAGE. My main reason for putting off a new purchase was that my old and I do mean old (new in 1986) Boland 32" with a differential just continued to labor on. Well make that.... it labored on and I labored to help it. Now.. gees, I know I can fix it again but do I want to?

I have given thought to Ariens which at one time during my search offered a 32" machine for about $3K which I considered. Now I prefer keeping my cost under $2K. So that brings me to the Troy 30" model 31AH55P5766 which is claimed to offer "power steering" whatever that means. One thing I don't believe I want is a machine with tracks. Who knows, one with tracks may be the greatest thing since the bread slicer was invented.

So back to the forum. Somebody must have one of these things that can share a viewpoint based on actual performance. So-------ANYBODY, PLEASE?

Thanks,

Foggysail

·
Registered
117 Posts
OK so for some reason I don't seem to have anything better to do lately than watch snowblower videos. And I'm telling you I was all ready to call BS. But...I have seen several videos of Cub 3 stage machines going through deep snow at what seems like an extremely quick pace. Am I nuts?!

I realize the build quality may be a notch down compared to some other brands but depending on your needs...?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
That is exactly right, just depends on your needs. There are tons of the different MTD made machines out there getting the job done. I have an older 2 stage Troy that's presently my "daily driver" and it's held up well over the last couple years doing 300' of gravel driveway and a parking area. I tend to turn up my nose at the lesser machines until I remember how hard this one works and it's Chinese engine always starts.

I don't have any experience with a newer three stage. I've read the ads, seen the vids and the actual reviews seem to be mixed. Some love them and there is even a thread asking if you can remove that third stage.
I would go more on price than how many stages. Wide enough to get the job done and if new, warranty and availability of a dealer in the area if you need them. It's been very light in snow here and machines are already discounted to try and move them. Not sure how it's going in your area as you guys got hit hard. Are they mostly gone or ??. This might be a good time to try and find a dealer with some stock he doesn't want to get stuck storing over the summer.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I believe you have a Bolens.

An 80s vintage Bolens is a serious piece of machinery and I'd hold onto it something terminal happens, the frame rusting out or the gearbox going, etc etc.

Quite a few of us here are Bolens owners and honestly, we should get our own subforum lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
He was just offering options to the Troy in your price range.
You might need to go into the Troy section and search out reviews and or PM members who have 3 stage machines.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you have a Bolens.

An 80s vintage Bolens is a serious piece of machinery and I'd hold onto it something terminal happens, the frame rusting out or the gearbox going, etc etc.

Quite a few of us here are Bolens owners and honestly, we should get our own subforum lol.
Yes indeed, that is quite a machine. I have however ripped that thing apart from one end to the other. But the biggest problem started with the differential which I repaired, greased (also add a zerk fitting). Later the inner shaft for the right hand wheel sheared off from the left side. That shaft was pinned to the left side. So I replaced it with 1/2" SS rod and drilled the left side shaft using my lathe to accommodate the new SS shaft. BUT I DIDN'T PIN IT. BIG MISTAKE. So that shaft was able to work its way out and the cluster of spider gears could be a mess.

Incidentally, the biggest problem IMHO pertaining to the differential is that it was neither sealed nor had provisions to add grease. I might just repair it again.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
give Jackmels on the forum a shout...he seems to get quite a few newer Ariens blowers that look clean, and you know they are in good shape if he went through them. For way less then a thousand, you can get a blower that will do you for decades.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What do these machines have to do with Troy 31AH55P5766???
You said you looked at and was thinking about a 3k ariens 32

I gave you the 2 best machines for the money in your price range new and used

By allllll means buy the troy with the 12 impeller and the 12 inch rakes its and unstopable killer blower

Have a nice day

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cub cadet dash is made of plastic. The gear selector notches are plastic and could wear down eventually.
The three stages blower have four shear pins and the back one can be a pain to change. Some customer feed back I've heard about the three stage is they can go through a few more sheer pins.

The front gear case on the Cub is a top load while the Troy built has a clam shell which in not quite as good it's still pretty sturdy though.

Cub is the top of the line MTD and the Troy built would be one notch Bellow.

What real drives me up the wall with the Cub and Troy is there is a piece of plastic between the blower housing to the snow discharge chute.

This part is going to break or wear down if you have a gravel driveway. Although it looks inexpensive and easy to change if you needed to.

Also the Troy Built has a plastic chute which you will probably go through atleast one during the life of the blower.

My vote is Ariens

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You said you looked at and was thinking about a 3k ariens 32

I gave you the 2 best machines for the money in your price range new and used

By allllll means buy the troy with the 12 impeller and the 12 inch rakes its and unstopable killer blower

Have a nice day
Yes I was originally looking at Ariens but was curious about some of the other machines. So I do want to thank you for trying to help. My plan now is to see if I can get the Bolens back to operational. But I am reaching my limits doing repairs so something new might be in my future although not this season

Thanks all—

Foggy

·
Registered
18 Posts
.... So that brings me to the Troy 30" model 31AH55P5766 which is claimed to offer "power steering" whatever that means. One thing I don't believe I want is a machine with tracks. Who knows, one with tracks may be the greatest thing since the bread slicer was invented.

So back to the forum. Somebody must have one of these things that can share a viewpoint based on actual performance. So-------ANYBODY, PLEASE?

Thanks,

Foggysail
Well you said "ANYBODY, PLEASE" so here I am. I have a 30" Troy with a 357cc engine. I like mine a lot. Power steering is, a finger trigger disengages the drive on the triggered side to allow the other side to drive the machine towards that direction. Electric start is only when plugged into 120 VAC, otherwise it's pull start but it starts easy. Mine has a joystick controlled chute that is lightning fast but I am not sure if the specific model you are looking at has that. My avatar is a picture of me using it.

Regards

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you said "ANYBODY, PLEASE" so here I am. I have a 30" Troy with a 357cc engine. I like mine a lot. Power steering is, a finger trigger disengages the drive on the triggered side to allow the other side to drive the machine towards that direction. Electric start is only when plugged into 120 VAC, otherwise it's pull start but it starts easy. Mine has a joystick controlled chute that is lightning fast but I am not sure if the specific model you are looking at has that. My avatar is a picture of me using it.

Regards
Thank you for your response describing your Troy 30. I have several Troy products, a 36" lawnmower and a garden tiller. Both have served me well and that prompted my earlier post for their snowblower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts