Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just finishing up a project on my 2410. Got all the maintenance done from the previous owner. Last thing I need to do that I can't, is get off these wheels so I can grease the shafts. If a tire goes flat I'm screwed! The wheels must be rusted on the shaft and I can't get them to budge. Tried heating the axle with a propane torch, maybe couldn't get it hot enough? Sprayed penetrating oil down there as well.

Any other recommendations on getting these fussy wheels off the axle?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Very doubtful propane will do it. At very minimum MAPP gas and better yet find someone with oxy-acetlyne torch. Once off, sand inside hub and the axle shaft. Apply generous coat of never Seize or lithium grease. While we're on this subject remember to grease auger shafts.
I hope this helps.
Be sure to confine the heat to just the wheel hub and not the axle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I better find someone with MAPP gas and/or an acetylene torch! I've read some other forums that suggest the use of a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone works pretty well as a penetrating oil. I need to flip this up on end and let that soak into the hub for a day or so...............but gonna wait till it warms up a bit. Too darn cold to be working in an unheated garage right now!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Did you youtube this? Maybe something on there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did You Tube, couldn't find anything specific to my particular wheel, but the principle is the same. I just think mine is so rusted on there I'm going to have a **** of a time trying to get it off.........

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
are you sure they are rusted? i know those ones are sometimes a pain to get off. sometimes you can wiggle them. if you have an air chisel they sometimes work to knock wheels loose. not like you really have to get them too far before they will start spinning freely.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I would not use a torch and I have one.

I made a wheel puller just for this. I will post pictures over the next few days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks JLawrence! I don't have any pullers, so I'm curious if that would work too. I was going to try MAPP gas as someone else suggested. I've been using the propane just doesn't seem to be getting it hot enough to break it off the axle. I'm pretty sure its rusted. There doesn't look like there is anything else holding it on. I already removed the bolt and washer, that seems to be it. See attached parts diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
sometimes the require some wiggling and pulling. if you got a rubber hammer you might be able to knock the rim loose or could try a block of wood and hammer. that rim doesn't look like it is rusted on there too bad if it is. those ones can just be a slight pain because of the design.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Make a mix of synthetic oil, automatic transmission fluid, and alcohol in a squirt bottle. Tilt the snowblower on it's side, not much, just slightly, you only need a 2x4 or preferably a 6x6, you can do a complete tilt, look for exiting gas or oil, squirt some mix down the axle, notice when it's coming out the other side, rotate the wheel, squirt some more; then flip the snowblower to the other side and do the same. This will be a precursor to removal. When the wheel is removed, wire brush, then sand the axle, coat with synthetic grease or Never-Seize. You'll never have to touch it again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jlawrence,

Are you suggesting I hit it with a 2x4 on the back side of the rim to knock it off the axle? Or are you suggesting I hit it from the front side?

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
It doesn't look to be rusted on, rather the end of the hub looks to be bent over due to hammering on it. I can give you another idea but it would requiring drilling a couple of holes through the hub and using a gear puller.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm..........ok I'm open to any suggestions. The other side looks exactly the same. I honestly don't think its bent over, but I think this is the shape of the axle at the end. Has sort of that square shape........

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Here's the short list. First you need something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/Bearing-Separator-and-Puller-Set-62593.html

This will only work if there is enough space behind the hub that the unit can be assembled behind the hub and not grab the axel.
You'll need a couple of pieces of threaded rod and nuts to go along with it in place of the supplied threaded connectors. They will work but you'll need to drill much bigger holes.
Figure the spread on the threaded fittings on the puller, based off the centerline of the unit once it's fit to the hub.
Next is the part most don't like to do: drill 2 holes through the rim portion of the wheel. The holes need to line up with the puller portion of the puller behind the hub. Thread the 2 pieces of threaded rod through the holes into the puller. Next comes the upper portion along with the center screw. Nuts on the threaded rod and screw down the center 'ram' screw on the center of the axel.

At this point you can use it just like a gear puller. Turn the ram screw down to tighten it up and put pressure against the hub vs the axel. You can soak it with something like PB Blaster, use heat or use a heavy hammer against the end of the ram screw to try and shock it loose.

I've done this with auger pulleys before but never a hub. It can work in many/most cases and by the use of the holes it's not likely you'll bend the rims trying to get them off.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could try to hammer in a wooden wedge between the wheel and side of the machine.

If you search Youtube you can find videos on wheel removal when using repairing flat on a snowblower like this one for example:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HCBPH,

Thanks for providing a good description of what I need to do.........but is there a video on You Tube anywhere of showing exactly how to do this? I was hoping to buy a puller for less than $50 to get this job done. Don't any of the Autoparts stores have pullers that I could either rent or buy that would do the job? The video in the previous post isn't helpful. I don't have a flat tire, so it doesn't go into any detail about getting seized wheels off.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Check this out for the basic idea:
Use the gear puller I noted, it does require getting one part of the gear puller between the pulley and auger housing. 2 holes through the rim, 2 pieces of threaded rod and the upper portion of the puller bolted down. Then it's a matter of penetrant, possible heat along with tightening it up and maybe a little hammering on it.

It might work to use nuts on the inside of the hub, then again I have not tried that so I don't know if it could bend the rims or not.

One more thing. Once it's off, clean it up well and use lots of anti-seize on the shaft to keep it free in the future.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Gibbywmu.....

Where u located ?? Local member possibly nearby can help you.

That style hub Cannot be rotated due to the machined "D" end of the axle, must be pulled straight off.

Heat and a puller is going to remove those rims, if that is an actual pix of your machine they don't look too badly rusted.

Drilling two holes and a puller as suggested by HCBPH is what I've done in the past along with heat.

That type of puller is a harmonic balancer puller, available from auto stores or harbor freight.

Please keep us posted on progress, good luck !!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I just had the same problem trying to get the wheels off a 2410 to replace the bearings. Since I had a spare axle, I wound up cutting the axle, and pressing them out. A New axle is around 35 bucks.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I've struggled with a number of stuck wheels too. All were frozen with rust but I also think the lynch pin can potentially peen the axle hole after repeated forward/reverse motions on older machines.

I start by draining the fuel tank and tipping the blower into the service position. I apply PB-Blaster or Kano Kroil into the lynch pin hole and both sides of the axle near the neck of the wheel. Tap the end of the axle with a hammer to potentially break it free and repeat this process several times. Be patient and try letting the penetrating oil soak overnight. There's hope if you can wiggle it free just a little bit. Continue by aggressively turning the wheel forward and backward while applying more PB-Blaster or Kroil.

Step two is to wedge a 1' to 2' block of wood behind the wheel and strike it with a 3 or 4 pound hammer. Take a couple of swings and then rotate the wheel so you're pounding on the opposite side. This has worked a couple of times but the success rate is not high.

If it still won't budge, I use my MAP torch to heat both sides of the axle and the neck of the wheel Naturally, be very cautious because you don't want to start a fire with any residual fuel or oils. Add more penetrating oil, whack the axle end and continue to aggressively turn the wheel back and forth. I've also had some luck using a 3 or 4 pound hammer to hit the opposite side of the axle (on the other side of the machine).

I've only had two wheels that I couldn't get off so I'm inclined to try the wheel puller method HCBPH described when this happens again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts