Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I live in the NE. Have a 3 car garage circular driveway with 10' wide exit to the street (approx 20' long). We get snow in waves. I had 18" of powder last weekend. Wondering which (or whether) of these machines makes sense (if either). I am looking to spend $800ish.

Troy-bilt 2860 or Husq 254cc 27"? Or any other suggestions you guys have! Thanks for any insights!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Both the same to me, i like the metal shute and the controls\cables that come with it on the Husqvarna. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, i wouldnt buy new, i like used with Tecumseh engines.

-efisher-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think I could do with a 24" Ariens or Husq or do I need the 27" size? Seems like we get dumped on lately on the south shore!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I would also take a look at the Toro 826.
+1 on the Toro. Good machines. But, if you're looking at those two I'd probably go with the Husqvarna.
Others may have different thoughts.

·
Registered
639 Posts
In this state, i wouldnt have anything smaller then 8hp...approx 270cc. Only because of the crap at he end of driveway thats heavy, wet, and full of salt. My 2 machines are a noma 10/29, and a cubcadet 24in that i repowerd from a chinese 5hp to a 8hp tecumseh.

-efisher-

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF duxdweller

The Troy would be down the list and I have one. Works just fine and gets the job done but I'd sure grab a Toro if I could afford it. I like the Toro Powermax 724 jtclays suggested.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i like those toro powermaxs, they throw the snow incredibly well but the quick stick is almost too smooth and is a pain to aim, but then again i only used my uncles once

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reviews on Home Depot site are pretty mixed on the Toro. Seem to have issues with heavy snow. I live on a busy street and the end of the driveway is a mess of plowed in sludge on snow days. Should I be focusing on HP rather than width?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think that you need to get behind each machine and see? ... feel how they feel? ....

Go see if they are the right machine for you. A machine can be great on paper ... pixels ... um ... and have 6 out of 5 star rating, but these are meaningless unless the machine has the right "fit."

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
GMorning Dux, I'm with the Legacy Guys..... For $800 +/-, you can get an older Ariens, Snapper or Toro that's bullet-proof and you can leave it in your will to your kids. Put an impeller kit on it and it will throw further and be unstoppable. GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a troybilt in the past and it got the job done but started needing parts. It got to the point that there was an order from Jacks every other snow storm. If I remember correctly it was a storm 9528. My dad bought it new and moved to an ariens a year or two later. I got 3 years from it and at the end of the 30 inch snow pa had last year it toasted both belts and a cable. I fixed it up and sold it thinking Honda but ended up with an ariens. If I was in your shoes it would be a used Honda or a newer ariens with an AX engine. I however am not a tecumseh fan. The engine on the troybilt never gave me any issues but it was loud and i was not impressed with its power. Seems silly to buy a flat head engine in 2017.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reviews on Home Depot site are pretty mixed on the Toro. Seem to have issues with heavy snow. I live on a busy street and the end of the driveway is a mess of plowed in sludge on snow days. Should I be focusing on HP rather than width?
I live just south of Ottawa Ontario and even though the east coast can get much bigger storms than we do, we still get our fair share of large snowstorms. I have a 2013 826 OE with the 1150 B&S engine and I have had no issues with lack of power, even when the snow is higher than the blower itself. End of drive is no problem either, however, on real hard ice the blower has a propensity to ride up on top. Now, truth be told, I have only ever owned or used this snowblower, you can take that with a large grain of salt.

Whatever you buy, always get bigger than what you need.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts