Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
You are right about the air filters icing up but they have the heat shroud around the carb also so I really don't know if it matters with one on or off, but I do like that extra protection of having a filter.
Shyrp is right that there really is no dirt or garabage to get ingested into the engine during the winter.

Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
The repowered snow blower!

Close up of the pulleys.

And this is what happens when you forget to replace the oil fill plug after checking the oil level, which is on the opposite side, and then start up the engine.

And the old engine.

Another view of the old engine.

Looks good. Are you able to use the other side of the idler for the drive or get a shorter belt so you don't need to modify the cover? Did the low oil sensor save the engine or did you turn it off in time? That reminds me of the outline of the people that happens in the horror movies when someone goes splat :)

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Originally I installed the idler on the other side and the belt cover fit fine. But with the rotation of the belt the idler pulley loosened and the belt came off (3 times during the Noreaster!). The pulley's movement eventually tore through the belt cover so I knew I had to come up with a quick fix... I wasn't gonna go back to a shovel, my pride was on the line (especially with the wife looking on). So I mounted the idler pulley in it's current location as seen in the pics. With the belt moving clockwise it will keep that pulley where it is even under full load. I was so proud of the fix, I even cleared my neighbor's sidewalks!

Oh, the low engine oil works perfectly! It shut down right away. At first I thought I might have destroyed the engine. After refilling the lost oil AND replacing the cap, it started up on one pull!

I wasn't meaning on the other side of the engine. I mean put the belt on the other side like the impeller belt is routed.

Yours looks bolted tight. They usually are bolted loose with a spring pulling it towards the engine to tighten it.

The idler for the drive should be moved to the other side of the engine and a spring should be pulling it towards the center causing the belt to be wrapped under the engine on the slack side. you do not want the belt on the outside of the idler pulley as you are losing contact area on the drive pulley that way.

If you look at the original manual for this snowblower it show show the correct location for the idler and the belt path. This engine should be configured the same as the original.

carl

The idler for the drive should be moved to the other side of the engine and a spring should be pulling it towards the center causing the belt to be wrapped under the engine on the slack side. you do not want the belt on the outside of the idler pulley as you are losing contact area on the drive pulley that way.

If you look at the original manual for this snowblower it show show the correct location for the idler and the belt path. This engine should be configured the same as the original.

carl
I believe it is on the correct side of the engine, just the wrong side of the belt. (See how the auger belt is routed?)

I believe it is on the correct side of the engine, just the wrong side of the belt. (See how the auger belt is routed?)
Shryp,

You are 100% correct, I just got done fixing my neighbors MTD which had a twin shaft engine and the idler is on the other side (it must have been stuck in my head) because the second shaft rotates the opposite way.

All he needs to do is route the belt to the other side of the idler and attach a spring to the idler pulley bracket and the frame on the other side to keep tension pulling to the center. He should still have the correct spring from the original setup.

carl

The pic source may be long deleted, 6 yr old thread but from the reviews of the HF Predator it's almost a drop in replacement for the Tecumseh 4-6hp engines. As long as they are the single shaft engines. Only thing's will be longer studs to mount to the frame and possibly a adapter for the pulley.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.