Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello--the owner manual says its 37oz of oil but I put that in it and its over the (H) mark--would anyone happen to know the exact amount of oil for the Troybilt Artic Storm 34?--Thank you

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If the manufacturer tells you 37oz, then I would go with that. If you have doubts or questions concerning what they tell you, I would call them, maybe they had a batch of bad dipsticks?

Wow ... 2000.00 for a snowblower .... I am so thankful for my older Ariens machines, as well as my Yardman and a Craftsman.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
IMPORTANT: Some engines are shipped with oil already in the engine, others without oil already in the engine, others partially filled. It is very important to check the oil level before operating the engine and to add oil if necessary. Running the engine with insufficient or excessive oil can cause serious engine damage and void the engine warranty.

Read page 5 of your engine (not owners) manual: "NOTE: Do not overfill. Overfilling with oil may cause smoking, hard starting, or spark plug fouling."

Drain it until the dipstick shows full. I recently took my BMW in for an oil change and they put in 8.5 quarts of oil, not the correct 6.2 "because their computer told them to" (for a diesel, not a gas engine). It was 1/2" high on the dip stick, and the cats both got fouled. It took 6 months to burn them clean again.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
@tab,

You experienced some bad technician human error.

I am sure that the oil capacity for that vehicle has proper recommendations from the manufacturer, BMW.

footnote ... I also heard of a vehicle that left a place after an oil change ... blown engine down the road, the technician drained, but it never got refilled.

While humans rule this earth, nothing is absolutely, 100% foolproof.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I am sure that the oil capacity for that vehicle has proper recommendations from the manufacturer, BMW.
Yes, as I mentioned, they apparently put in the amount for the 325d M57 diesel, not my 325xi M54 gas engine, and then they didn't check the dip stick.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
:welcome: That Artic Storm should be one kick a$$ machine. Post some pics when you can and hopefully you can do a review on that bad boy. As far as the oil level, rarely do I have to put in the amount it says in ounces I always use the dip stick measurements as typos are possible in manuals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello--the owner manual says its 37oz of oil but I put that in it and its over the (H) mark--would anyone happen to know the exact amount of oil for the Troybilt Artic Storm 34?--Thank you
I own it's cousin in black & yellow (Craft Pro). Mine came with oil already in it, which I used for a few hours before changing. Yes the manual states 37.2 oz of 5w-30.

When I changed, I warmed it up, drove it into the back end of my van so I could easily tip it back and drain, however what I noticed is when it seemed to be completely drained, I let it down to sit for about a minute and tilted back again and about another oz or 2 came out of it. This could be why yours is registering over, because I did measure out and put 37 oz's in and it was fine. I think if the machine is leaned back to far some of the oil gets trapped and doesn't drain out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts