Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI, .... because the nice Arnold Poly Roller skids have recently doubled in price almost, I came across these plain poly skids for only 14.99 a pair w/free shipping.

I will post back when I get them and give an update. (never running steel again on any machine)

Amazon.com : Gadgetool 784-5580 Replacement Snowblower Plastic Reversible Skid Slide Shoes with Hardware for 2 MTD 2 Stage Yardman Cub Cadet Snowthrower : Garden & Outdoor

Note ... I have already used the ones below, which are now 17.53 a pair, on the longer based buckets, which work very well.

Amazon.com: Rotary 5649 Pack of 2 Polymer Skid Shoes for Snowblowers: Home & Kitchen

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Well what did you expect? You been promoting the Arnolds for so long they are selling like hotcakes. lol
You should get a commission. :D

You once said that you use nothing but the roller skids, didn't you?
I thought you said you put them on everything?
If so my question would be how long do the roller skids last?
They look like they should last a long time.

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
computers auto change price with sales or lack of sales.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have brand new Ariens standard skid shoes and planning to make roller skid shoes out of them. My snowblower is front heavy and no regular skid shoes will last on it. The sealed ball bearing ones, if you pack full grease in there, they are going to last for a while and no seize up. I'm planning to replace them every few years.

The Arnolds ones are all plastic. They look like they would work, but you also count on luck (have to use them with care). It is embarrassing going into a snow bank with one broken wheel you know?

Some elderly man claimed to have invented Arnolds roller skid shoes. Oneacer is old, so he could be that man. Who know.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Roller skids are on all my blowers, and work extremely well, (and I was only paying like 22.00 a pair) with the exception of the long base bottom Cub Cadet bucket and my Craftsman long base bucket, those I put on the 16.00 (now 17.53) long poly skids, which work very well.

The new Ariens 724 I just put the engine on had good metal skids, and when I saw the price now for roller skids almost doubled, I figured I would try these poly skids for 14.99 a pair, as I am always looking for good deals. I expect them to perform and glide just fine. If the Arnold Poly Roller Skids come back down in price, I will surely stock some in reserve, as I know they perform flawless on the pavement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Roller skids are on all my blowers, and work extremely well, (and I was only paying like 22.00 a pair) with the exception of the long base bottom Cub Cadet bucket and my Craftsman long base bucket, those I put on the 16.00 (now 17.53) long poly skids, which work very well.

The new Ariens 724 I just put the engine on had good metal skids, and when I saw the price now for roller skids almost doubled, I figured I would try these poly skids for 14.99 a pair, as I am always looking for good deals. I expect them to perform and glide just fine. If the Arnold Poly Roller Skids come back down in price, I will surely stock some in reserve, as I know they perform flawless on the pavement.
The following Craftman Roller Skids are identical to the Arnold ones (same part number, etc.).

I had purchased a set of Arnold Roller Skids in April but cringed last week when I saw the new prices. However the Craftman ones were less expensive and I ordered a set. After receiving them, I realized that these are the same thing ... but marketed under 2 names.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Some elderly man claimed to have invented Arnolds roller skid shoes.
Here's the story...
They were designed by engineer Bill Raftery. I've had email exchanges with him and he was kind enough to send me a set of the skids as well as the offset adapters for my Honda HSS1332. The important features are ease of motion/steering, non-marking of surfaces & non-wearing bearing surfaces that don't require height adjustment over time.

Here's what Bill said about the genesis of the Roller Skid. MTD Products (Arnold, Craftsman, etc.) licensed his ideas:

"To make a long story short, I turned 60 and bought a snow blower thinking it was going to be like mowing the lawn. Wow, was I in for a surprise! I was faced with going back into the house after only half an hour and confessing to my wife that I just got my butt kicked. I was exhausted! That's how it all started. I spent the entire Winter mocking up quite a number of solutions that resulted in the Roller-Skid...​
... to continue, I found that most of my exhaustion was caused because I was constantly fighting with the machine to keep it moving in a straight line. This was because the steel skids were scraping, grabbing and pulling me from side to side depending which skid was encountering the most resistance. This was because of areas on my driveway that had more or less snow covering the surface. Heaven help me if the right skid hit a bare concrete and the left skid was on ice.​
The original fix I came up with was simply attaching a wheel where the skid was bolted onto the side of the auger box. This was great until I hit just ice and snow... and then I missed the skid! It was at that time that it occurred to me: WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?!​
Fact is, I'm not only trying to make my life easier... but I'm also aware that by rolling over the surface, I'm not damaging the surfaces any more. I learned this by talking to some contacts I made at Ariens. (Great folks by the way!) They informed me that equally important, the roller-skid design I was working on would protect surfaces. This was becoming increasingly important with all the stamped, decorative concrete driveways and walkways out there."​

There was a V1 that didn't work out too well. What you can purchase now is the much-improved V2. Sadly, you can't get the offset adapters any more.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I am getting my large gravel driveway paved in the next few months, so thought I would give these a try after all the positive recommendations on this forum.

I just placed my online order with Lowes for a set for $34.99 with free shipping to my door, quite a reasonable price for Canada. ( thanks for the link quexpress)

I will install them on the Deluxe 28 SHO. I'm looking forward to trying them this winter and especially looking forward to the new paved driveway, no more handfuls of crushed stone being launched by the machines, before the ground freezes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The skinny steel wheels on vintage snow blowers would work well. I'm not sure why they discontinued that skid shoe style on modern snow blowers.

The problem with his design is that the wheels are too wide (they offer better surface protection, but they pick up snow easy and don't roll well in ice/snow). When you mix those two styles (skid and wheel) together, they collect snow even more (just like your car wheel fender). It won't take long for the wheel to deform and become useless.

The V2 is an improved, as its canoe nose protects the wheels from being pressed into packed snow. Still, it did not solve all problems.

With this roller skid shoe, you have to use it with care and need to have replacement wheels. I'm going to build my own. It is just going to be stronger at least.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The V2 is also looking thick. It needs to be on diet. I'm just saying. I don't want that much space dedicated to each side.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update ...

I received them today, and they look just fine and well made ... should work great in replacement of the steel ones. I will be putting them on the new Ariens 724.

As I mentioned, I normally go with the Arnold Poly Roller Skids, but was paying only 22.00 a pair. Then the price jumped to 35.00 - 40.00 a pair.

Being these are only 14.99 a pair with free shipping, and the fact that I always try to be price conscious, I figured I would try them out. I am sure they will glide well on surfaces, as it is a proven fact that poly type materials certainly slide/glide over a paved surface with greater ease and less tension than its steel counter part.

Just a quick note on the Poly Roller Skids. As with anything with moving parts, you want a slight lube or silicone on that location. Also when you park it after use, make sure they are clean, and not packed with snow, which when parked and stored in a non heated area, it would allow them to be froze in a block of ice or frozen snow. Thus if you operate them in that condition, you will run into issues. Common sense really.

I have been using my Arnold Poly Roller Skids for years now with no issues. I expect these 14.99 a pair regular poly shoes to perform well also, albeit not roll along as smooth as the roller style. Also note, anyone doing surfaces other than pavement as well, will want regular poly skids. Again, common sense here.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL ... Update.

So these poly skids are for a 2 3/4 center hole set up.

The Ariens have a 3 inch center hole skid set up.

No biggie, as the Arnold Poly Roller Skids go on either 2 /34 or 3 inch center holes. I just took the roller skids of my Yardman, put them on this new Ariens, and put the new regular poly skids on the Yardman, as that is 2 3/4 center.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts