Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,894 Posts
I've been using an Echo gas trimmer for over 10 years now, bought it new, never had a single issue with it, starts easily every time. One of the best OPE purchases I've made. I give it a "tune up kit", (new spark plug, gas filter and air filter) every 2nd or 3rd year, and always ethanol-free gas. I even leave the gas in it all winter, no issues.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I finally sold it cheap because I was stumped. Put a new carb on it, new spark plug. Best I could ever get was it wanted to start using helping fluid. Never got it to run. Then I started thinking maybe the fuel lines were crossed. Switched them. Then could never even get gas back into the bulb when pumping it.
Same thing happend to me on a sthil blower. I was useing it and it quite running. Tryid every thing, found out it did not have any compression. put rings in it and it ran fine. Then sold it. then bought a Roybi Blower. For me , it is great. just pull the trigger. When my Still trimmer goes, I will buy a eletric trimmer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I ended up with a stihl fs70. Not much bad on them at all. Supposedly just a little more power than the 56 which means I should be able to use a steel blade when I want to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Stihl KM110R. I've had it for well over a dozen years. After we moved from suburbia to more more rural environment ten years ago, I use a sawblade almost exclusively instead of the string. Also have a polesaw attachment with an extension, that also gets a workout. Except for a bad coil when it was new, it has worked well after the coil was replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two years ago I got an older Echo GT2000 (curved shaft) trimmer free on Craigslist. Owner couldn't get it to run. It turned out there was a shorted wire in the kill circuit. Ran fine, but I had trouble getting under some big bushes so I decided I wanted to try a straight shaft trimmer. I found an older Echo SRM 210 for only $15 that the owner said wouldn't start. I cleaned the carb a little and tried fresh gas first - ran okay, but it turned out the spark arrestor screen in the muffler was clogged (carbon). Once that was cleaned it ran like new. I bought an SRM 2100 for parts (also $15), but after some clean-up, a new plug, gas lines and filters it also ran like new. I sold the SRM 2100 after I bought a second SRM 210 (also $15) from a guy who had moved to a house with a smaller yard and had bought a battery powered trimmer. That SRM 210 only needed fresh gas and a primer bulb - it now runs flawlessly. I also have an Echo blower (new, Christmas gift) and an older Echo blower/vacuum that I recently got for $40. All start easily (usually on two or three pulls when cold - one pull when hot) and run flawlessly. In the past I settled for Homelite and Craftsman trimmers and blowers. I was never really satisfied with any of them and all were difficult to start even when hot. Needless to say perhaps, but, I'm happy with all my Echos.

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
292 Posts
I went to a DeWalt battery powered trimmer a few years back. Before that had a Ryboi 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. Got tired of the pool reliability after 3-4 years of each and wasting time trying to get them started. Always used stabilizer and gas/oil mix where applicable.

·
Registered
2022 Ariens Kraken
28 Posts
I know Im late to the party here but this is my 2 pennys. I had an Stihl FS55 (pre FS56 model) and I ran it hard for 10 years before I upgraded to a Stihl KM130 4 mix 4 stroke. The power of that 130 is incredible, i still have a small lightweight 2 stroke Maruyama for light trimming but if I could only have one I would keep that KM130 in a heartbeat, 2 strokes are lame to me after owning that 130 for several years now. I would also suggest going the KM (Kombi system) route over the FS so you can have the option to use Kombi attachments as well. I run a brush blade, hedge trimmer, pole saw, edger and bed redefiner with my KM130.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,462 Posts
I guess it depends which 2 cycle. First I ever bought was an inexpensive Homelite, and that this was always a PITA. A top brand (Echo, Stihl, etc) should work darn near forever. I lose touch on the exact date, but pretty sure my Echo trimmer is at leasr 20 years old, and has been untouched other than replacing a fuel line, primer bulb, and I think diaphragm (all quite easy) and has been "one pull on choke to prime/second pull starts it" it's entire life. Heck, my fuel lines laster far longer than any battery I have ever owned, and they can't obsolete fuel line! :)

·
Registered
2022 Ariens Kraken
28 Posts
I guess it depends which 2 cycle. First I ever bought was an inexpensive Homelite, and that this was always a PITA. A top brand (Echo, Stihl, etc) should work darn near forever. I lose touch on the exact date, but pretty sure my Echo trimmer is at leasr 20 years old, and has been untouched other than replacing a fuel line, primer bulb, and I think diaphragm (all quite easy) and has been "one pull on choke to prime/second pull starts it" it's entire life. Heck, my fuel lines laster far longer than any battery I have ever owned, and they can't obsolete fuel line! :)
I dont know if you're responding to me but I wasn't saying my 2 stroke stuff is unreliable, rather just week compared to the HP and low end torque of the 4 mix four stroke machines.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts