Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Ariens (9260) turned into a mouse nest this past spring, I ended up cleaning it out and when I opened it I up I saw that what I'm thinking is a solenoid with a wire to the spark plug had been chewed up. I just don't know what part name/number this is. Can someone take a look at the photo and let me know what you think?
 

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
That definitely looks like the spark plug wire. Unfortunately the proper fix for that is to replace the whole coil. You might be able to get by with wrapping it up real good in electrical tape. I have heard of guys attempting to splice new wires on with varying success.

If it were mine I would try the tape first and if you run into issues get a new coil.

As for your part number, we would need the model number and serial numbers off the engine. It can probably be figured out with the model number and serial number of the blower too, but the engine would be better. The Tecumseh parts should be pretty generic to many different engines so they shouldn't be too hard to get.

The engine is probably something like Tecumseh HM80-12345 SER 1234.

The blower is probably something like model number 924123 and serial number 123456.

I have no idea what 9260 is. (9HP, 26" maybe?)

Have a look here for some videos on coils.
http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73/search?query=tecumseh+coil

The coil is also sometimes called the ignition module. Not that some engines have the coil where yours is as some have it behind the flywheel. Yours is a newer electronic / solid state ignition and easier to work on. :)
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
I just did a quick google search while thinking about this and happened upon someone else who suggested taking a piece of hose and splitting the side and putting that over the wire before taping it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That definitely looks like the spark plug wire. Unfortunately the proper fix for that is to replace the whole coil. You might be able to get by with wrapping it up real good in electrical tape. I have heard of guys attempting to splice new wires on with varying success.

If it were mine I would try the tape first and if you run into issues get a new coil.

I will try taping it, they also chewed up and destroyed the shut off wires, so now the only way to shut it off is to pull the spark plug wire off the plug. If I can find a schematic then I should be able to fabricate a new connection
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
I just did a quick google search while thinking about this and happened upon someone else who suggested taking a piece of hose and splitting the side and putting that over the wire before taping it up.
I was going to make that same suggestion but with actual electric cord insulation. Probably both would have the same effect but possibly electric cord might be just a bit more flexible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
If you can get the spark plug boot off, you might think about taping with good quality electrical tape and then sliding a piece of heat shrink tubing over the repair. Likely to make it more moisture resistant over the long term.

If money, or simply the challenge aren't issues here, I'd just replace the coil if it were mine. Then I'm sure that it won't let me down when I need it most. I hate having to take things apart and try to make makeshift repairs while crouched in a snowbank at 30 below.
Shryp posted links to some excellent videos that show exactly what you're dealing with.
JMHO

Good luck either way.
Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
OR...You might consider this...
NGK Performance Products - Splicers
NGK makes a splice kit for snowmobile spark plug wires. You can cut out the bad section and splice in a new piece. I saw on a forum where a gent with a similar problem to yours found the kit on EBay for 8 bucks, as opposed to 50 beans for the whole coil assembly. For my money, I find this less sketchy than a tape job.
Again JMHO
Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OR...You might consider this...
NGK Performance Products - Splicers
NGK makes a splice kit for snowmobile spark plug wires. You can cut out the bad section and splice in a new piece. I saw on a forum where a gent with a similar problem to yours found the kit on EBay for 8 bucks, as opposed to 50 beans for the whole coil assembly. For my money, I find this less sketchy than a tape job.
Again JMHO
Larry
Thanks - Honestly - if I could figure out the part number, it may be worth it to just replace the whole thing.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top