Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I originally posted asking about a Toro I saw on Craigslist, but they were asking too much and not willing to come down. I'm brand new to New England (Outside of Boston), though I've been in the snow before, this is the year I'm going to get away from shoveling.

My driveway is asphalt, roughly 30'x70' with no incline on it.

Here's a few I'm looking at. I think I'd prefer electric start just so it's one less thing to deal with, and my budget is about $300.

Any idea on what to look for in that range? Here's a few that have piqued my interest:

Ariens Snowblower 5/24 (5hp,24" Ariens)
6/24 ariens snowblower (6hp, 24" Ariens)
@@MTD SNOWBLOWER, 5HP, ELECT START, 6SPD, FREE DELIV @@ (5hp, 24" MTD)

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Both Ariens look fine..I would avoid the MTD..
(I would avoid *any* MTD)

The two Ariens are 10,000 series.

This one: 6/24 ariens snowblower
Is late 60's.

This one:
Ariens Snowblower 5/24
Is early 70's..

Of the two, I would prefer the early 70's one..slightly more modern engine, and looks in slightly better shape,
although its hard to tell just from photos..realistically they are essentially the same, no major differences..
both look fine! assuming everything works properly..and prices on both are decent.

Scot

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Scotsman I agree to avoid the MTD but if it was built in early 90s they were of good quality, I had one a 13HP 36" and it performed very nicely in fact it is still working for the guy I sold it to. The Tecumseh starts on first pull everytime.

Take care all

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here in the Boston area you should be able to get a good reliable 1970-1980 Ariens for between $200-$350. There are lots of good ones on the Boston CL right now. I would check out sscotsman's site to familiarize yourself with the differences in model years. He's got the link in his signature line. We have at least 2 months before we see any real snow, so you have plenty of time to be particular and find the right one for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it seems there are a bunch of either shops or guys that fix these up and sell em around Medfield and Holliston.

It seems like they are giving fair prices based on what was shown earlier in the thread, so I guess I'll just grab one of those?

Not sure what I'll gain (or need to gain by spending $250 on one or $350 on one though).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Right now, with snow getting closer, it's probably a "sellers market". So you will have to expect pre-season prices to be mor firm. My opinion anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The MTD is obviously the newest machine.

Looks nearly identical to a Troy Bilt with an MTD engine. Many here have praise for Troy Bilt snow throwers.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
The MTD is obviously the newest machine.
True, but its also the worst choice.
newer is often not better.

Looks nearly identical to a Troy Bilt with an MTD engine. Many here have praise for Troy Bilt snow throwers.
Actually no..I have never once heard praise for Troy Bilt snowblowers.
The vast majority of people here would say to avoid new MTD's..including Troy Bilt. very low-end and low quality. Not worth it when much better options exist. The only people who buy a new Troy Bilt snowblower are those who are remembering the once quality brand-name, and arent aware that the current line has no relation to the quality of old..basically the brand name is only being used to sell new products that have nothing to do with the old company.

Cub Cadet is in the same boat..coasting along only on the legacy of its once highly respected name..but the quality of the 60's and 70's is long gone, and the current products are pure MTD, and have zero relation to the Cub Cadet or Troy Bilt companys and products that earned those brand names their good reputation in years past.

Scot

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you maintain anything well, it should last.

There is the guy with the 2008 Troy Bilt who does a small bit of residential snow throwing. He put armor skids on his and he says it is holding up great.

So....don't always believe that. If you're planning on just doing your own driveway, don't shy away from certain brands.

Everything is made in China these days anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you maintain anything well, it should last.

There is the guy with the 2008 Troy Bilt who does a small bit of residential snow throwing. He put armor skids on his and he says it is holding up great.

So....don't always believe that. If you're planning on just doing your own driveway, don't shy away from certain brands.

Everything is made in China these days anyway.
SIGH:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I settled on a 7/24 model #910008 from 72-73 I think today. I had no idea how big it was, but we were able to get it in my ford explorer without too much hassle. We had truck ramps to load it at the guy's place...didn't have those at my house. Had to improvise a bit with some old wood I had laying around, but got it off safely. Ended up paying $330 and it came with chains. I'm pretty happy but this thing is taking up quite a bit of garage space!

My wife's already asking if I can put a tarp on it and put it outside. Sure, that works just fine until a foot of snow falls on it overnight and I have to shovel over to where it is to dig it out!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not everyone has problems with the more inexpensive stuff.

Most of the problems experienced is due to lack of maintenance by people who aren't mechanically inclined and do not take care of their equipment.

That's all I am saying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not everyone has problems with the more inexpensive stuff.

Most of the problems experienced is due to lack of maintenance by people who aren't mechanically inclined and do not take care of their equipment.

That's all I am saying.
I agree not all people maintain there equipment the same BUT take a good look at how Ariens,Toro and Honda snowblowers are made verses MTD blowers.There is a difference;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
If the wife really gives you a hard time you can store it outside under a tarp (don't leave it on dirt)until snow is predicted then move it into the garage. I move mine from the back of the shed in the fall to near the doors and put the lawn care stuff in the back. When a storm is predicted i move it from the shed to the garage. Once the first snow fall hits it stays in the garage for the reminder of the winter. My garage is pretty big and only has two cars in it. All the OPE is in the shed. Carl.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree, the inexpensive snow blowers have much thinner metal compared to the expensive models. But not everyone has $1,000-$2,000 to spend on a snow blower for their personal property.

The only other alternative is to buy a used heavy duty snow blower for cheap, but if you are not mechanically inclined and are the type of person that takes their snow blower to the shop when all that was needed was a carb cleaning, buying used probably isn't for you.

$500-$700 for an inexpensive 2-stage snow blower versus $1500 for a well built model - most people live paycheck to paycheck and the more expensive units are just not possible.

Besides, think about the things that most people would prefer to go into debt for - snow blowers are not a high priority.

My point is, do not simply write off the more inexpensive models, if all you need to clear is the snow from your personal property. If you do not need to rely on the machine for the livelihood of your commercial business, you will be OK.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Let me ad that when storing your machine in tight quarters you will want to back it in. Nothing worse than a bunch of snow on the ground and then realizing you have to shovel half of your driveway just to have the room to pull the snowblower out and turn it around.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
As I mentioned previously the Ariens Sno-Tek models would fill his needs properly as they are very well quoted from those who use them.
The price is attractive also for new ones with warranty and so forth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, the inexpensive snow blowers have much thinner metal compared to the expensive models. But not everyone has $1,000-$2,000 to spend on a snow blower for their personal property.

The only other alternative is to buy a used heavy duty snow blower for cheap, but if you are not mechanically inclined and are the type of person that takes their snow blower to the shop when all that was needed was a carb cleaning, buying used probably isn't for you.

$500-$700 for an inexpensive 2-stage snow blower versus $1500 for a well built model - most people live paycheck to paycheck and the more expensive units are just not possible.

Besides, think about the things that most people would prefer to go into debt for - snow blowers are not a high priority.

My point is, do not simply write off the more inexpensive models, if all you need to clear is the snow from your personal property. If you do not need to rely on the machine for the livelihood of your commercial business, you will be OK.
Here is my craigs list find back in july for $550.The guy I bought it from used it 4 or 5 times,he was moving from Michigan to Nashville Tenn.If one can be patient and have cash in hand there are some great deals on craigs list.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts