Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman Snowblower with 15 x 5.0 - 6 tubeless tires. It's getting old and has bead leak. Probably due to rust. Flat fixed didn't last. i read that you shouldn't put tubes in tubeless tires. I can't see why not. Not like it will cause tire to overheat at those high speeds. I know I'll probably never separate rim from axle, so I'll do it on the machine. Any thoughts. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I never heard that one.

I will tell you, on older tires on small rims, the rubber is not as pliable as most new ones, it can certainly be a challenge, and a bit of a learning curve. Many people pinch the tube and render it useless.

Are these tires in good shape and worth it, with good snow tread still?

I have a mini tire changer, with all the proper setup, and do tires somewhat often, so not much of an issue for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am planing to do the same thing (tube in tubeless tire) on my Murray machine. The tire is not in great shape, but with a tube it should last for quite a few years. Hopefully by then, I will have picked up a few machines to use for parts.

I will post an update on how I did it, when I figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I put a tube in a tubeless tire all the time.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have a Craftsman Snowblower with 15 x 5.0 - 6 tubeless tires. It's getting old and has bead leak. Probably due to rust. Flat fixed didn't last. i read that you shouldn't put tubes in tubeless tires. I can't see why not. Not like it will cause tire to overheat at those high speeds. I know I'll probably never separate rim from axle, so I'll do it on the machine. Any thoughts. Thanks for any help.
============================================================================================

If you have not done it all ready order tubes with the 90 degree metal valve stems and then ask if you could have some of the graphite tire lubricant to coat the tube and the rim the more lube you wipe on the tube the better as it will let the tube slide in the tire more easily and expand with no friction to its final diameter.
After you slip the lubricated tube in the tire slide the valve stem into the valve stem hole and pull it up and use a small vice grip to hold it with light pressure. then remove the valve core so you can air up the tube to seat the rim under low pressure and then run the pressure up to 12 PSIG or what ever the maximum rating is and then remove the inflator from the stem making sure the vice grips are still locked on the valve stem.

After the tire is seated on the bead you will see some of the graphite tire lube on the edge of the rim and that is just fine so no worries about that. With the tube deflated reinstall the valve core being careful to use a light touch threading it in the metal stem until it is seated.
Re-inflate the tire and make sure you leave the snow blower tires off the ground with lumber under the belly plate so they do not flat spot on you.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The elimination of the tube is so the mfg can save a little money..tube er up.
If you can't find the correct tube then get one a little smaller..they will stretch alot..its no big deal.
Small tires are harder to work with than larger tires..Some shops will put in a tube for you if you buy the tube from them..I tube mower tires that have problems with them leaking around the bead or busting the seal on the bead due to ruts in the ground.
Tubes been running be less than ten bucks here for small front tires on mowers..may be a little higher for a larger tire..say 15 bucks..still a bargain ..beats having to wrestle with getting the tire to bead...especially in the winter when tires are stiff as what you have to deal with.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never heard that one.

I will tell you, on older tires on small rims, the rubber is not as pliable as most new ones, it can certainly be a challenge, and a bit of a learning curve. Many people pinch the tube and render it useless.

Are these tires in good shape and worth it, with good snow tread still?

I have a mini tire changer, with all the proper setup, and do tires somewhat often, so not much of an issue for me.
Tires are good. problem is bead leaks due to rusty rims.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
@Amigaman,

I meant I never heard of someone saying to never put a tube in a tubeless tire ..... where on earth did you read that ... evidently not from a reliable source.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
============================================================================================

If you have not done it all ready order tubes with the 90 degree metal valve stems and then ask if you could have some of the graphite tire lubricant to coat the tube and the rim the more lube you wipe on the tube the better as it will let the tube slide in the tire more easily and expand with no friction to its final diameter.
After you slip the lubricated tube in the tire slide the valve stem into the valve stem hole and pull it up and use a small vice grip to hold it with light pressure. then remove the valve core so you can air up the tube to seat the rim under low pressure and then run the pressure up to 12 PSIG or what ever the maximum rating is and then remove the inflator from the stem making sure the vice grips are still locked on the valve stem.

After the tire is seated on the bead you will see some of the graphite tire lube on the edge of the rim and that is just fine so no worries about that. With the tube deflated reinstall the valve core being careful to use a light touch threading it in the metal stem until it is seated.
Re-inflate the tire and make sure you leave the snow blower tires off the ground with lumber under the belly plate so they do not flat spot on you.
Thanks for the tips. Appreciate the info.
The elimination of the tube is so the mfg can save a little money..tube er up.
If you can't find the correct tube then get one a little smaller..they will stretch alot..its no big deal.
Small tires are harder to work with than larger tires..Some shops will put in a tube for you if you buy the tube from them..I tube mower tires that have problems with them leaking around the bead or busting the seal on the bead due to ruts in the ground.
Tubes been running be less than ten bucks here for small front tires on mowers..may be a little higher for a larger tire..say 15 bucks..still a bargain ..beats having to wrestle with getting the tire to bead...especially in the winter when tires are stiff as what you have to deal with.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I meant I never heard of someone saying to never put a tube in a tubeless tire ..... where on earth did you read that ... evidently not from a reliable source.
It may be from the old wife's tale of never using tubes in radial tires which we heard for years. Then as if by magic, radial tubes became available. Now most tubes are labeled as suitable for radial and bias.

·
Registered
684 Posts
@Amigaman,

I know you aren't supposed to run a tube with a radial tire on a motorcycle...most of the heat is centralized at the steel belt..rather than uniformly within the whole tire...a tube also generates heat...the theory is its to hard on the tube with the steel belts and the tube itself generating heat.

On mowers and snow blowers our ground speed is so low it would be non issue anyway..these snowblower tires aren't radials so it wouldn't apply anyway.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
"Tubes for snowblower tires?"

We are in a snowblower forum .... we are not talking about the Indy 500 here .... :) ... or any other car for that matter.

BTW, If you have rusty rims that are so bad that they don't seal, please take the tires off the rims, clean and paint the rims properly , and re-mount. You have to break them apart if your going to put a tube in anyways, might as well do it right .... just sayin .... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you aren't supposed to run a tube with a radial tire on a motorcycle...most of the heat is centralized at the steel belt..rather than uniformly within the whole tire...a tube also generates heat...the theory is its to hard on the tube with the steel belts and the tube itself generating heat.

On mowers and snow blowers our ground speed is so low it would be non issue anyway..these snowblower tires aren't radials so it wouldn't apply anyway.

Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts