Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many late model Gilson snowblowers from the 1980's utilized dual shaft L-Head engines. The camshaft provided an opposite rotation / half speed power source for traction drive.

Those engines are coming of age and I was wondering if there are any similar current engines?

The engines to replace are:
B&S 5 HP Model 130292
B&S 8 HP Model 190492

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
from what I have read is the twin shaft cover on the engine can be put on the single shaft engines, I have a old but dead twin shaft 5HP and a much newer 5HP that needs a new governor so need to pull that cover off anyway. These are spare engines so if I kill them no big loss but if I turn the strong running single shaft into a twin shaft then I have a older craftsman 5/23 to put it on. So when I finally get around to doing it I will make a thread on what I did with lots of pics. I guess if you have a dead 2 shaft, on't toss it, Find a parts machine with a decent engine and turn it into the twin shaft.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, crank cover, camshaft and new lifters to reset the valves should convert a healthy single shaft unit. That has been the guidance I have offered to date. Some are looking for a more turnkey solution. Used ones do show up on Ebay and sellers seem to realize the uniqueness. $$$

from what I have read is the twin shaft cover on the engine can be put on the single shaft engines, I have a old but dead twin shaft 5HP and a much newer 5HP that needs a new governor so need to pull that cover off anyway. These are spare engines so if I kill them no big loss but if I turn the strong running single shaft into a twin shaft then I have a older craftsman 5/23 to put it on. So when I finally get around to doing it I will make a thread on what I did with lots of pics. I guess if you have a dead 2 shaft, on't toss it, Find a parts machine with a decent engine and turn it into the twin shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts