Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used Tygon and I have the same problem with all of it, it gets hard and cracks and leaks.

My local chainsaw repair saw, completely honest!!!!, stopped using Tygon shortly after it came to the market, yes, that long ago. When Tygon came out, they bought a lot of it and every repair they did came back. You talk to them about Tygon, their voice starts rising, getting louder, then nasty. They are adamant! They only use the manufacturers original hose/tubing. Never ever any any after market hose. They are done with it. If the hose is molded, such as much of Stihl, they order Stihl. If flexible, they use either Echo or Poulan for everything and they prefer the black rubber fuel hose. They buy rolls of it of course.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Similarly, in the opposite direction, I've had bad luck with black rubber hose. Trying marine-grade Tygon on my blower. So far so good. Will keep you guys updated. Will be one year in service this coming July, or thereabouts.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I like Tygon for what I use it for, namely the teeny diameter lines on chainsaws etc., hangs on good/no leaks or air suck. Replace every couple years as part of regular maintenance anyhow, haven't seen it harden in that time. Caveat: we get real good gas over here, max allowable ethanol 3% but where I buy it's zero. IIRC Tygon's not recommended for 10% or greater.

Never tried the 'regular' sized line like you'd use on a blower or lawn tractor though.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I have a roll of Tygon to fit the primer lines. Been using it for a couple years and haven't seen any problems (yet). :icon_whistling:

For fuel line I use fuel line from auto store. The OD is usually a bit bigger so it's sometimes a bit more difficult to route but it holds up really well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've used Tygon for years on trimmers, leaf blowers,etc. and never had too many problems with it getting along with our 10% ethanol fuel.It stands up at least as well as the OEM fuel lines.

The problem I do have is with my Shindaiwa brushcutter/line trimmer .It's an early 90's model and uses an elaborate molded rubber fuel filter/pickup tube/check valve.I have to drain the gas tank after every use because if I don't, by the end of the summer one day I'll go to use it and it won't start.The reason it won't start is because the pickup tube has turned to jelly and can be poured out of the tank along with the gas.

I use good ole Good Year rubber fuel line on snowblowers.It is slightly larger OD than the original Tecumseh or Briggs but works well and lasts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tygon is just a brand name and there are at least 40 different specifications of tubing sold under the name. If you don't watch the designations, you could be getting hose designed for food, laboratory or medical service. So buying from an unknown source like Ebay or Amazon could cause you trouble. If you buy tubing made for use inside a soda dispenser, of course it will fail. There are also a bunch of imitators out there. Saint Gobain is the top notch brand in my opinion.

I have sold fuel grade Tygon in the auto parts store for many years and have not received any complaints regarding failures.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Like you say,you have to check the specs. to see what application it can be used on..

Tygon is just a brand name and there are at least 40 different specifications of tubing sold under the name. If you don't watch the designations, you could be getting hose designed for food, laboratory or medical service. So buying from an unknown source like Ebay or Amazon could cause you trouble. If you buy tubing made for use inside a soda dispenser, of course it will fail. There are also a bunch of imitators out there. Saint Gobain is the top notch brand in my opinion.

I have sold fuel grade Tygon in the auto parts store for many years and have not received any complaints regarding failures.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tygon is just a brand name and there are at least 40 different specifications of tubing sold under the name. If you don't watch the designations, you could be getting hose designed for food, laboratory or medical service........
Yes-I'm glad you mentioned this,I had intended to.I buy my Tygon line at the auto parts store.I pay dearly for it,but it lasts.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I use the PrimeLine catalog a lot for Lawn and Garden. Used to be able to use the part number or cross it over to something and get the product through Oreilly Auto Parts. But like 00 grease it seems Oreilly doesn't carry Tygon any longer. At lest the couple numbers I tried didn't pull up. That's where I ordered my roll of it. Still, if you want dimensions and part numbers for it here is the PrimeLine page for it. 2016 PrimeLine Catalog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts