Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm getting ready to prepare my Power Max® 824 OE (37798) snowblower for the off season. The procedure I'd like to use to to drain most of the gasoline but retain enough in the tank to run the machine for about five minutes to heat the oil before draining it. Then, at the end of about five minutes, ideally, the last of the fuel would be burned, which appears to be the recommended approach, to avoid residual fuel during storage.

Can anyone tell me approximately how much fuel the Toro Premium 252cc four-cycle engine burns per minute when idling? That information would help me keep the correct amount of gas in the tank for my final burn. Not exact, of course, but at least an approximation.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
you could make things really simple by installing a fuel shut off valve,

warm the engine for 5 mins (or whatever) shut the fuel off and let it die

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, installing a fuel shut-off valve would be an option. Not sure how complicated that process is. On the other hand, if I can come up with the desired amount of fuel to have in the tank, once the calculations are done that would be a simple solution moving forward. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Installing a fuel shutoff is easy, assuming the fuel line from the tank to the carb is exposed.

It has other benefits too, like ensuring that fuel cannot leak past the carb's needle valve when not in use.

But if you want to try it this way, I'd go with jerryvvv, and add 2-3 ounces. If it shuts off, no problem, see how long it ran, and decide how much additional to add. That's probably the simplest and most accurate approach. Run it dry, add a known amount of ounces, see how long it runs, and the math is straightforward.

This assumes that everything you actually add can make it to the fuel outlet from the tank, though, which is not a given for a tiny amount of fuel. Make sure the outlet tube is at the low point, re-orient the machine on your surface, if needed, if the surface isn't quite level.

My 318cc OHV will run for around a minute at idle, after I close the fuel shutoff, basically just using what's in the carb bowl.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Concerning the idea of installing a fuel shutoff valve, I'm still learning about this machine and just realized that it comes with such a valve. 😁

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red, your comments are well reasoned and helpful, as are the other suggestions that have been made. I spent yesterday learning more than I thought I'd ever want to know about how to estimate fuel consumption based on an engine's cc rating. The short answer is that it's not a straightforward computation; there are a lot of variables to consider. But I did find some consensus that something in the neighborhood of six ounces would run the machine for five minutes. So, I'll start with something between three and six ounces and see how it goes.

Thanks all,
Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Conclusion: Based on the actual run-time before the engine stopped, it appears that if one ounce of fuel is added to the tank after the gas has been siphoned from the tank, the desired run-time of about five minutes will be achieved. That one ounce of fuel would be in addition to gas that remains in the tank, carburetor, etc. after siphoning. Next spring when I repeat the process, I'll see what one ounce of added fuel accomplishes.

Thanks everyone,
Bill

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was going to say add about four ounces to begin with.. it will hunt and carry on before it dies.. if it isn't going to run as long as you are wanting just put a tad more in the tank ... Even if it dies it's no big deal.. just add a tad more... Wait a minute or so and one pull of the rope should have it running.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you say makes sense.

"...one pull of the rope..." Or in my case, one push of the button.

I assume that once I've determined the correct amount to add, I can use that amount every time. Off by plus or minus a minute or so shouldn't be a big deal.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts