Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new Deluxe 24...model 921045 that I feel is be under performing in it's ability to throw snow. Purchased from Ariens dealer.

This is the 3rd snowfall of our season that has warranted use of machine...most recent was this past weekend.

Machine starts everytime at the push of the button and comes off choke nicely. When I engage the auger (prior to starting attack on snow) drop in RPM is noticeable. Once in the snow, it falls way short of the 45' - 50' distance that's advertised. I take no more than 1/2 it's cutting width at times even less trying to isolate the p'm guessing Arien's bases their throwing distance on fluffy, powder.

Even though our snow to date has been more on the heavy side than powder I'd still expect to be able to throw further than 10' to 15' that I'm seeing.

End of the drive / plow crap is even worse.

Open to your thoughts before I let dealer start pulling wrenches on what should have been good out of the box new machine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They always tell a bigger number. It is nothing new.
Sure, it can throw 50' under the right condition, but how often do you see it? Why count on the wind to get that 50 feet?

There are so many videos of them throwing snow. They didn't look 50 feet to me. More like 15-20 feet. Just a little bit farther than most snowblowers. The Honda ones are usually throw very far. So, I would believe it if it was a Honda.

I did still pick Ariens, but 50' is laughable to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
if the engine is bogging down just engaging the auger I think you should have your machine looked at by the dealer

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have a deluxe 24 same model as yours and throws the wet heavy pretty far, Maybe the belts are not tight enough when engaged and slip a bit when put under a load.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You know the shape of the impeller blades and rotation speed is what give throwing distance (nice pattern too). Honda snowblowers have that.
The blades are wide and large portion at the tip.

Ariens went with the cup shape impeller blades now. They throw snow at a larger volume, but shorter distance and spread out more.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
the engine rpm dropping a bit when you first engage the augers is normal. the governor will do its job and bring it back to where it needs to be. i could see a machine only throwing 10-15 feet with the snow and weather we have been getting lately. if the machine wasn't under warranty i would suggest doing the impeller mod. it does help a machine throw farther and help prevent clogging on the really wet/sloppy snow. did the mod on a junky machine and it went from throwing snow about 5'-8' to about 16'.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
How deep is the snow you're dealing with? Heavy and 3" is one thing, heavy and 18" is another. A video of it blowing would be interesting, if available.

If the engine is slowing down (and staying slowed) with just engaging the augers, that would sound odd to me. When you start blowing, does the engine slow down? If throwing distance drops off, but the engine speed does not, it's possible that the auger belt is slipping.

I take all distance claims with a grain of salt. I've never tried to measure how far my Ariens throws, especially since I don't have distance complaints. But it should be more than 10-15 feet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a deluxe 28 but the SHO with a larger engine. For what it’s worth, when I engage the auger, I can’t hear any change at all. It’s no louder with the auger running than without, and the engine doesn’t change its tune in the slightest.

I would say if it bogs with only the auger something isn’t quite right. Could belt tension actually be too tight to cause this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Something seems off. I also have a Deluxe 24 and it chucks wet heavy snow pretty far. It definitely doesn't bog down when engaging the auger. When I first push the lever down, I hear a very slight dip in rpm and then it bounces right back. I live in Vermont and I've been very happy with my machine. It definitely sounds like yours is not performing properly and if you just got it, you should definitely have it looked at.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a brand new Deluxe 24...model 921045 that I feel is be under performing in it's ability to throw snow. Purchased from Ariens dealer.

This is the 3rd snowfall of our season that has warranted use of machine...most recent was this past weekend.

Machine starts everytime at the push of the button and comes off choke nicely. When I engage the auger (prior to starting attack on snow) drop in RPM is noticeable. Once in the snow, it falls way short of the 45' - 50' distance that's advertised. I take no more than 1/2 it's cutting width at times even less trying to isolate the p'm guessing Arien's bases their throwing distance on fluffy, powder.

Even though our snow to date has been more on the heavy side than powder I'd still expect to be able to throw further than 10' to 15' that I'm seeing.

End of the drive / plow crap is even worse.

Open to your thoughts before I let dealer start pulling wrenches on what should have been good out of the box new machine.
same issue, same engine.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/ariens-snowblowers/129962-28-ariens-seems-underpowered.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was one of the commentators on the thread referenced above in post #11. I too thought my Deluxe 28, with the same engine as your D-24, was under powered on some of the first five or ten uses. I wondered, "Just what did I bring home?..." My engine was a pooch until it had been run five hours or so, and then it found more fire. Today, it runs pretty good now and I'd say the engine's power meets my expectations.

A few suggestions-
1. Make sure you're turning the throttle wide open- that the throttle knob is rotated fully clockwise. The throttle control on these engines is kind of awkward to use, especially with thick gloves.
2. Make sure the choke is fully off. Same thing- awkward with thick gloves.
3. Give the engine a bit more run time for break in.
4. Be mindful that your snowblower has some very good capacity and it can sometimes bite off more than it can easily chew.

If none of these ideas help, then take it to the service department.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts