Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost power at the summer house overnight, so I went there this morning to check things out. About 8" of snow, which looked to have started out as heavy wet snow, then drier snow on top.

The Snow plow guy didn't come :[email protected]:

So, I decided to get this instead of calling him . . .
IMG_9521.jpg

It is a . . .

Husqvarna 208cc 24-in Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower with Heated Handles and Headlights.

I was going to get the Troy-Bilt 2410, but this was only $100 more as they (Lowes) had a sale going. It has the metal chute (instead of plastic) and a few other bells and whistles. I took a look at the impeller, and it seemed to be better that the one on my Troy-Bilt. So, I said "done deal" and they loaded in the back of my SUV

I used it to clear the driveway. It throws the dry stuff very well, the wet stuff not so much, not as good as my Toro or Troy-Bilt. The thing is heavy though . . . reminds me of an Ariens that I used a while back.

It looks like we will be getting more snow in MA, so hopefully I'll get a chance to use it some more. Eventually, I'll post a review.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good luck.

I think you have the right mentality for that machine. Husqvarna is starting to get a decent reputation from what I can tell, but with only a 208cc engine you have probably already seen it's limits. The heavy wet stuff will not fly (so to speak), but anything that is light and powdery will travel without any problems. As long as it's a back-up, you are golden.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a 'back-up' machine, but it is the only one at the summer house. My other 2 machines are at our primary residence. I might do the impeller modification on the Husqvarna, as it has about a 3/8" gap, from what I can see.

As far as power, the web site states 6.3 HP out of the 208cc engine, so that is pretty good.

My little Toro 521 tops out the field with a 6.5 HP 212cc engine. The Troy-Bilt has only 5.5 HP from its 179cc engine, but the impeller mod makes it king of the throwing distance.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I can tell you my experience with the Craftsman version of the Husqvarna 27 inch machine. Its basically an ST227 painted red.

Impeller kit made a huge difference in the wet sloppy heavy stuff. The thing will pump water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can tell you my experience with the Craftsman version of the Husqvarna 27 inch machine. Its basically an ST227 painted red.
My father has a Poulan Pro, same design chassis as the Husq. The black paint on the bucket and chute started to wear off and sure enough it's orange underneath. The Husq has the best looking control and dash design plus lights of that style, IMO.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Yes, a 'back-up' machine, but it is the only one at the summer house. My other 2 machines are at our primary residence. I might do the impeller modification on the Husqvarna, as it has about a 3/8" gap, from what I can see.

As far as power, the web site states 6.3 HP out of the 208cc engine, so that is pretty good.

My little Toro 521 tops out the field with a 6.5 HP 212cc engine. The Troy-Bilt has only 5.5 HP from its 179cc engine, but the impeller mod makes it king of the throwing distance.
I agree the impeller mod is good. Not sure if I would want to void my warranty this early In the game.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's hard to beat the features of the Husq ST 224P at that price, it's a nice looking machine as well.

Definitely do the impeller mod and attach a piece on the chute deflector like found on the 300 series as the holes are already predrilled.

The 'piece' on the chute deflector . . . that looks like an extension ? ? ? Does that just help guide the path of the projecting snow a bit further?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 'piece' on the chute deflector . . . that looks like an extension ? ? ? Does that just help guide the path of the projecting snow a bit further?
The extension on the chute gets the snow farther away from the machine, keeps the snow from blowing back at you.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
do an impeller mod on the toro and take it to the summer home and bring the husky to the primary residence until the warranty expires and you can put an impeller kit on it

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The extension on the chute gets the snow farther away from the machine, keeps the snow from blowing back at you.
Yup, the 'blowback' . . . I hate it when that happens.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do an impeller mod on the toro and take it to the summer home and bring the husky to the primary residence until the warranty expires and you can put an impeller kit on it
The thing about the Toro is that it does not have much of a gap between the impeller blades and the housing . . . maybe 1/8" tops. I could add more surface area to the blades, if that will make a difference, but not really much in extending the blades to close the gaps. I suppose a bigger blade will also have improvement on the throwing distance.

It seems like newer machines have a bigger gap between the impeller blade and the housing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It seems like newer machines have a bigger gap between the impeller blade and the housing.[/QUOTE]

It almost seems like the manufacturers have decided the 2 stage machines are to be used when the snow is deep, light and fluffy. The larger gapped impellers and the ribbon style augers all seem to be designed to mix more air into the snow and blow it out the chute with less build up and clogging albeit when it's windy the need for chute extensions becomes obvious. Consequently they don't work well when the snow is wet and heavy like a single stage machine. My 22 year old single stage handles wet, heavy snow so well you'd think it was a water pump!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts