Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - just joined so hope can get some help. don't know year of my snowblower (son gave it to me in summer, but just now working on it). m/n 38050 s/n 8006021 with tec eng m/n h70-130176d s/n 72790. decals are most missing so control handles are a guessing game. trying to find out info on starting procedure (control positions) so can see if engine will fire (son not around to ask how it ran two years ago). put fresh gas in empty tank, put on new gas shutoff valve, cleaned sparkplug. thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello tex, welcome to SBF!! would that be a toro 724 snowblower? you can download manuals from toro's website for free if it is. 524 ( 38040 ), 724 ( 38050 ), and 824 ( 38080 ) share lost of parts if you are searching for some that are missing

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
hello tex, welcome to SBF!! would that be a toro 724 snowblower? you can download manuals from toro's website for free if it is. 524 ( 38040 ), 724 ( 38050 ), and 824 ( 38080 ) share lost of parts if you are searching for some that are missing
I see you brought your A GAME here today. BROTHER DETROIT.;););););););););)

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Howdy Tex! Welcome from the Keystonenstate.
Let's see some pics. That'd be a big help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry fellows - unable to take pics and post right now. thanks for link to manual, will check out and see if it gives me answer. will let ya'll know if any successs getting it started.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Sorry fellows - unable to take pics and post right now. thanks for link to manual, will check out and see if it gives me answer. will let ya'll know if any successs getting it started.
you can add 724 in your sig with 38050 now that we know what it is

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hello - just joined so hope can get some help. don't know year of my snowblower (son gave it to me in summer, but just now working on it). m/n 38050 s/n 8006021 with tec eng m/n h70-130176d s/n 72790. decals are most missing so control handles are a guessing game. trying to find out info on starting procedure (control positions) so can see if engine will fire (son not around to ask how it ran two years ago). put fresh gas in empty tank, put on new gas shutoff valve, cleaned sparkplug. thanks for any help.
Welcome Tex!!!!

You've got a 1978 Toro 724 according to the Toro website. The Tecumseh may be a '77??

Starting procedure is pretty straightforward for Tecumseh engines.

1. turn keyswitch on (if there is one and it's connected)
  2. Turn throttle control to full (look at carb; throttle butterfly should be fully open)
  3. Open fuel shutoff (you should add a fuel filter if you haven't done so already)
  4. make sure plug wire is connected and check that the auger & traction are not engaged
  5. slowly push primer 3-5 times
  6. give the pull cord a good tug! If it doesn't start, then we'll have to do some troubleshooting (check spark, fuel, carb condition, etc.)
Fingers Crossed!!!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum Tex. For some reason, the operator manual is NOT available for download from the Toro web site???
Your Toro is a 1978 724 model and the engine was built in 1977 as classiccat has already said. Here are links to the Toro two stage service manual (compliments of Shryp) and the Tecumseh engine service manual to help with repairs or service.

Snow Blower-
http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/2stagdrv.pdf

Tecumseh Engine-
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

Toro Parts-
http://www.toro.com/en-us/parts/Pages/PartsDetails.aspx?mybeid=2820&serialNumber=8000001&modelNumber=38050&searchTerm=9lzIRv+p5zeHPtC3PwIHFPDI++cB6QMV8i0TXnr2S7MnxMltEL2Hppc9bh/F8/ax

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Welcome, and dang gone, you guys even amaze me, and I hang out here!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
basic operations of the 524, 724, and 824 are the same so one of the other owners manuals can be of some help, I would get the manual for the 824 ( 38080) but there might be some differences between the 7hp and 8 hp motors other than one hp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for parts link and I have added 724 to signature as suggested by another member. I will attempt to see if I can figure out the lever operations, so that I have them in the correct position for starting, and I will try to trace wiring for starting circuit. I cleaned spark plug, placed on top of engine (with spark plug wire connected, and did not see any spark at plug when pulling starter rope. I am thinking a bad spark plug or igniton circuit is grounded cause I may not have handles in correct position (safety switches grounding out spark, correct?)

·
Registered
158 Posts
My (new to me) 1977 vintage Toro 826 is pretty simple: after pouring in a tank full of premium no-ethanol gas, put the throttle lever in "start", open the fuel valve, set choke to full and pull on the starter cable. Once it starts, set choke to open and throttle lever to "run".

Also, before attempting to start the engine, make sure the auger engage lever is set to OFF (disengage), or it will indeed ground the system and refuse to start.

;)

P.S. What are you doing messing around with a snowblower in Texas anyway for? I can see your location says Pennsylvania, but I thought it was against State law to be named "Tex" outside of Texas... or at least it should be! (kidding)

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Home is texas city, tx but been working and living in northwest pa last 20 yrs. reason looking for manual info is so that I can see if handles are in correct position since parts of decals missing. all wires still look connected to microswitches under panel by handles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ok... The throttle lever on mine has a red round plastic ball on it. It sticks out from the control panel on the left hand side. The positions are as follows: stop is towards the operator; start is in the middle; run is pushed away from the operator, towards the chute. So, to start, put it in the middle.

The auger control lever an L shaped lever in the back of the control panel and is actually mounted underneath it (more or less in the center). Up is auger engage, down is disengage. It needs to be down if you're attempting to start the engine. A good way to tell is to check the auger drivebelt: it needs to be slack in disengage mode.

In any case, those are the settings for my Toro 826. It always fires on the first pull. Good luck!

:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts