Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I considered buying one but the thought only lasted a few minutes, I feel more comfortable with the tried and true gasoline powered vehicles, things could change in future but where I live it gets extremely cold in winter and that's the main reason for me to stay away from EVs.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,496 Posts
I gave up gasoline cars about 10 years ago, but didn't go electrotarded, I went diesel!

50 MPG in a decent size car with 800 mile range, and minutes to refill (and yes, I DO use that "feature" . . . cross country trip last week - 780 miles one day with one 10 minute stop (to pee and give the dog water) and 580 the next, again with a single stop (one refuel between the days - arrived at destination with about 1/3 of a tank left). The car is more comfortable than anywhere I can stop, so why waste the time?

That, and on this route, a charger much beyond a wall plug is scarce . . . electric just fails for me in so many ways!

·
Registered
728 Posts
This whole thing of going all electric gives wet dreams to the greenie- weenies when the technology is not yet making it realistically feasible.

I read a news article on line in the last couple of days where a couple bought their daughter a used Ford EV (I think it might have been the Focus model, but not sure on that.) Well, it gave out and would not run. The dealer said it needed a whole new battery and the cost of it alone was more than they pad for it... only something like 60K miles on it but about 10 years old.

To add insult to injury, the article indicated since this model is no longer being made that the possibility of even getting a battery is slim at best. These folks are facing the real possibility of paying for a car that may no longer be usable.

Add to the pipe dreams of feeding the power to recharge these things. The grid and power sources are not there yet.

Just read now on the news that it appears a generator at the Hoover dam may have blown up! Wonder if it trying to keep up with the demand? That is only speculation on my part.

Reactions: Orangeman05

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when the technology is not yet making it realistically feasible.
The key to making it feasible is to keep pushing the envelope.

The first personal calculators were not very portable...

Nor was the first mobile phone...

And the first automobile was certainly no prize, at least by today's standards...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Agree. Progress does not happen unless one tries, just ask Bell, Tesla or Edison. But pushing the limits and realistic expectations are two different things.

The GW's are pushing to electrify this and that with no realistic way of feeding the grid. We need more fossil fuel power plants or nuclear generators to back up the stance of where they are wanting to go.

I think we should head in this direction EVENTUALLY. But to push it in one big gulp (apologies to 7/11) is not feasible at the rate is it being proposed.

I am working with some jurisdictions where local building code are attempting to supersede the IECC and dictate that no natural gas can be piped into new buildings! This extreme positions are ridiculous.

And the whole thing that electrical vehicles are good for the environment is total bunk when product materials (from mining to end of life) as well as fossil fuel generated electricity elsewhere does nothing whatsoever for the almighty altar- of- environment

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
I still dont have a smart phone....

I'm the only one (seems like it ) that has a real ol fashioned bicycle. everyone has E Bikes.

Have 2 Subaru's. One has 297K miles on it and the other has 281K miles . Tacoma has over 200k miles on it. As long as they keep passing smog will keep em going.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, once again I mention a headline about some aspect of electric vehicles (since the technology is likely to be the basis of future cordless OPE), and all the technophobes and EV naysayers pile on. Just gonna [fill in some clever thought here]... Definitely need that old HeadBang emoji we used to have...

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
So, once again I mention a headline about some aspect of electric vehicles (since the technology is likely to be the basis of future cordless OPE), and all the technophobes and EV naysayers pile on. Just gonna [fill in some clever thought here]... Definitely need that old HeadBang emoji we used to have...
Sylvester must have bought an EV

·
Registered
37 Posts
The manufacturers and government are going about this electrification thing all wrong. It would make much more sense to make a hybrid vehicle that has like 50-100 miles of range on electric alone, which would cover many, not all, citizens. Then when you take the monthly long trip to grandmas or vacation, the gasoline engine kicks in. No range anxiety, no need for chargers all over the place. But a good portion of the emissions are removed. And it needs to be able to be charged overnight on 110 volts. Why pay for and lug around 300+ miles worth of batteries when most never go that far more than say a couple times a month?

·
Registered
807 Posts
No doubt this problem is going on elsewhere too and not unique to Toronto. I just hope an equivalent tax for road maintenance is applied at the charging stations so EV owners don’t feel left out of there fair share of taxes. Also what would be an appropriate battery recycling fee for EVs? They are certainly much larger than your average laptop.

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
No doubt this problem is going on elsewhere too and not unique to Toronto. I just hope an equivalent tax for road maintenance is applied at the charging stations so EV owners don’t feel left out of there fair share of taxes. Also what would be an appropriate battery recycling fee for EVs? They are certainly much larger than your average laptop.
Good point. I also think people don't realize what a rip off it is to pay road tax on gas powered off-road use OPE. Unless you are running a diesel and red fuel you are being unfairly taxed on fuel for off-road use.

·
Registered
807 Posts
No they don't but fuel taxes are still collected at the pump that supposedly go towards it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts