Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am a believer in dino fuel, but when Ford announced the Lightning, I reserved one. Was one of the few that got to covert the reservation to order the stripped down Pro model.
I figure if I can get a full size 4wd truck that can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds, for under $40k, it is worth a try. Supposed to be built on the 27th of July.
I will still keep my dino truck

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I am a believer in dino fuel, but when Ford announced the Lightning, I reserved one. Was one of the few that got to covert the reservation to order the stripped down Pro model.
I figure if I can get a full size 4wd truck that can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds, for under $40k, it is worth a try. Supposed to be built on the 27th of July.
I will still keep my dino truck
I have enough issues trying to keep my butt planted in my '20 3.5L turbo ecoboost. How you gonna manage with that one?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have enough issues trying to keep my butt planted in my '20 3.5L turbo ecoboost. How you gonna manage with that one?
Soft pedal. I drove my dealer's demo for a weekend. One half pedal launch gets the need for speed out of my system.

I have a 19 with the same engine you have. Great engine and plenty of power.

Reactions: LenD

·
Registered
400 Posts
So, once again I mention a headline about some aspect of electric vehicles (since the technology is likely to be the basis of future cordless OPE), and all the technophobes and EV naysayers pile on. Just gonna [fill in some clever thought here]... Definitely need that old HeadBang emoji we used to have...
Well just maybe that’s not tech phobia or Luddite thinking but some element of the TRUTH, the “green” revolution will inadvertently lead us back to an outcome:
I’ll give you a hint
It starts with N, and ends with R, and sticks around for a LONG TIME!

the evidence of the un reliability of renewables is already there in California & Texas for those who care to seek the truth. And in Cali now you can’t even have a gas generator when the energy wizards fail you. Nice. Hope they are happy In the dark & cold with their food rotting….
14 days out with Hurricane sandy I will never depend on the grid 100% ever again. Had a 5k gas gen set so wasn’t SOL. No thanks to the local power authority!
THIS, is why there is skepticism!

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
In related news-- GM has just brought out an all electric full size Hummer pickup! It goes like a bat on acceleration but takes way longer to stop, with brake fade on the third stop in a row. (not surprising because it weighs 9640 lbs. 3000 of which is battery) Advertising says 360 miles on a charge but the test showed actual miles at 270 average.
To me this doesn't sound like too bad a truck until you start thinking about tire wear, suspension wear, etc. And with very much payload you would be over 10,000 lbs. In our state that would legally require you to stop at all weigh scales. Or pulling a trailer you might need a commercial drivers license in some states.
Full report can be read in the Rock Auto July newsletter. (on line auto parts dealer, for those not familiar with them)
Forgot to add the purported cost started at $101,000 !!! What a bargain.

·
Registered
635 Posts
In related news-- GM has just brought out an all electric full size Hummer pickup! It goes like a bat on acceleration but takes way longer to stop, with brake fade on the third stop in a row. (not surprising because it weighs 9640 lbs. 3000 of which is battery) Advertising says 360 miles on a charge but the test showed actual miles at 270 average.
To me this doesn't sound like too bad a truck until you start thinking about tire wear, suspension wear, etc. And with very much payload you would be over 10,000 lbs. In our state that would legally require you to stop at all weigh scales. Or pulling a trailer you might need a commercial drivers license in some states.
Full report can be read in the Rock Auto July newsletter. (on line auto parts dealer, for those not familiar with them)
I don't understand why this hummer exists. There is nothing "green" about a 10,000 pound vehicle. It's a toy for the rich, that's all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It’s because they want to crow about “helping”
“Fight” “climate change” and let’s not be too cynical MAKE HUGE PROFITS.
So let’s find out how much is the climate harmed by the manufacture & disposal of that 3,000 lb battery. Let’s have the TRUTH FOR ONCE, climate zealots!
You think you’re dragging this 1.5 ton monster of a battery off to the town recycling center like a gp 24 lead acid battery?
It will become a HUGE environmental headache….just watch….

·
Registered
727 Posts
No hate, only facts.

I am all for progress and the potential for EVs. But when politicians make edicts without real infrastructure to back up the feel-good "green" philosophy then, as a logical and rational person, I get frustrated because it does not pencil- out!

I am designing and renovating houses and structures and I need to tell my clients (who want gas appliances) that they cannot have them because politicians have determined that natural gas is "bad" for the environment. They look at me in disbelief! I tell them that we are required to install rough-ins for charging stations in their garages even if they do not want or have EVs.

The dictates are over reaching and quite ridiculous. And it is even more profound if these politicos are in bed with the so- called "green" companies. The edicts are purely self- serving for either money or the self righteous "warm fuzzies." Well, Mr. Politician, take those damn warm fuzzies and heat yer constituents houses with it.

Off the soap box, will not reply again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our EV just turned 4 and we love it. We don’t do long car trips but did do one last year. We had no problem stopping every 3 hours for 20 minutes to charge (I usually had to pee anyway). The trick is finding the fastest chargers (Tesla Gen 3 charge very fast). After driving 8 hours with driving assist I would never do a long trip without it. Believe me, it’s nowhere near perfect but is awesome on Interstate highways.
We also produce 5kWh more power a year than we use with our solar panels so it’s truly a “green” car that is not supported by fossil fuels. Other than those 1-2 road trips we always charge at home.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Like others have said, new technology takes time to mature (sometimes decades). There will be growing pains, but we can't delay change because it will cause inconveniences. Mistakes will be made and we learn from them. In the long term we will be better off (if humans are still around). A lot of people just don't like change. They are set in their ways. The important thing is we all need to work together to make a change for the better.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Prices ARE going up, enough so complaints are starting

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If I understand that to read, the device goes where the meter is and thus first. The device can cover all the contingencies. If done right and adaptable, this could ease things a lot.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts