Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
That's great if there is only 1 car at the residence. We have 4 cars here plus guests that pop in. What are we suppose to do then. Play musical cars every nite to get them on the charger?

The horse and buggy was only replaced when the technology was in place and affordable. They didn't make hay illegal and force people to buy a gas powered vehicle.

Also who will be servicing these vehicles. Techs are leaving in droves because of EV's and there is nobody coming in to replace them.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Whatever you say.
Sure.
Agree.
But that is not why techs are fewer.
Cars did replace the buggy, but not cause there were gas stations everywhere.
No, correct, they did not outlaw horses. Oh wait. They did a whole lot more though.
But I an pretty sure you do not want to go back to that all around.
So what if all cars were banned. Not cause of desire, but for some other reason.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Whatever you say.
Sure.
Agree.
But that is not why techs are fewer.
Cars did replace the buggy, but not cause there were gas stations everywhere.
No, correct, they did not outlaw horses. Oh wait. They did a whole lot more though.
But I an pretty sure you do not want to go back to that all around.
So what if all cars were banned. Not cause of desire, but for some other reason.
Tell me why techs are leaving.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's great if there is only 1 car at the residence. We have 4 cars here plus guests that pop in. What are we suppose to do then. Play musical cars every nite to get them on the charger?

The horse and buggy was only replaced when the technology was in place and affordable. They didn't make hay illegal and force people to buy a gas powered vehicle.

Also who will be servicing these vehicles. Techs are leaving in droves because of EV's and there is nobody coming in to replace them.
Everyone didn't change over to gasoline powered vehicles over night. It was a gradual change. The infrastructure was built over time. Starting in more populous areas and spreading out. That is what is going on with EVs. It doesn't happen overnight. It will be expensive at first, but prices will fall with increase in production. No one is making gasoline/diesel powered vehicles illegal.

People will have to learn how to fix EVs just like people had to learn how to fix internal combustion engines. Electric is less complex. Fewer parts. Less maintenance. Dealing with the computers and their software will be the biggest hurdle, but we have been dealing with that with gas/diesel vehicles for the past 25+ years.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Not cause of electric cars. In fact that is bringing in a few young ones.
There are fewer people going into the trade. And the older and good ones are quite tired of the way the business is run. The stealerships are a very difficult place to be. Constant strikes here. It is tough on the body, and the older ones wear out...
A job most of us here would enjoy. For a while. But again the stealerships are no place to be. I have many friends with repair places. Swamped. Hard to find anyone to help out. I would love to but my back etc. Will not let me. So I do it a bit. Pay a heavy price too.
It seems that it would be simple, should be, need, demand, jobs. But the "old" trades are not in the windshield of a lot of people. Do not get started on other trade issues...

·
Registered
635 Posts
There are fewer people going into the trade. And the older and good ones are quite tired of the way the business is run. The stealerships are a very difficult place to be. Constant strikes here. It is tough on the body, and the older ones wear out...
A job most of us here would enjoy. For a while. But again the stealerships are no place to be. I have many friends with repair places. Swamped. Hard to find anyone to help out. I would love to but my back etc. Will not let me. So I do it a bit. Pay a heavy price too.
It seems that it would be simple, should be, need, demand, jobs. But the "old" trades are not in the windshield of a lot of people. Do not get started on other trade issues...
The techs I know, and chat with on other forums, are not planing to work on EV's. The reasons cited are, too dangerous, pay does not match the technology, and no desire to work on them for flat rate pay.
I did my time at a chevy store, and was stuck working on the Volt. Lost my pay check on every one. Now at GMC, have no plans to do training to work on the Hummer. The pay scale is not there. The 2 younger ones have been trained, but they have no experience in the field. You should see them when the boss brought in a snowblower for them to get running. Effin cluless! And these will be the guys working on the Hummer LOL!!!
It's too much too quickly, being forced upon the public.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I do believe electric vehicles are the future although we are not there yet with battery technology, but we're getting closer. We also need to look at infrastructure to handle the increase load on the grid. As for where this power will come from I hope it is not hydrogen based or we will end up like Mars, dry and desolate. I think thorium reactors might be a better choice.
The shortage of technicians is a result of people not wanting to work with their hands anymore. The abilities are there in the younger generations but the will to enter the trades is not. I think the trades have not been represented properly by the educational system.

·
Banned
106 Posts
This is not being controversial it is fact. Yes, gasoline powered cars have been declared illegal -- in Washington state. Our idiot politicians have declared that as of 2030 no gasoline powered vehicles will be allowed on Washington roads. So even if you have fuel and a zero emissions motor it will be illegal, period. Our governor was granted emergency powers during the covid crises and now basically refused to give it up (unfortunately no law says he has to) and so acting as a dictator has publicly stated he does not care how high the price of fuel goes and set the date to outlaw carbon fuels, natural gas (which has already been declared illegal in Seattle - no new homes can be built with it and if your gas furnace or fuel oil furnace breaks down you WILL be required to remodel to install on electric one.) And of course these fuels will be illegal in 2030 so you will will be forced to remodel/install an electric one at that point in time. Your costs will not be a factor, says the governor.
The fact that all the power companies in WA. say there is not sufficient electric power to do this has no bearing. He has hand picked a group of people that will decide where to put solar/wind farms (city, county and private land owners will have very little or no way to object).
There are currently only two very large solar farms planning to install in eastern WA. that claim ! they will be online by 2028 - 2030. So that should take care of about 1/8 to 1/4 of the Seattle cars out of the some 4 million people there.
The real question is where will all the solar panels, wind towers needed in the USA be coming from? There are currently only 5 manufacturers of solar panels in the US, will enough manufacturing plants be built and in production by then, I really doubt it. The US will be purchasing most of them from China. And we have almost no steel production in the US so the steel needed to install wind towers, on land and off shore, will again, be purchased from China.
It's the same old idiotic political idea of shutting down US oil production and buying oil from foreign countries --- there is no carbon pollution if some other country produces what you need.

End of story, will not post again.

·
Somebody
3,735 Posts
I think electric cars are going to rapidly become more desirable. The battery tech is improving constantly and imo will continue to.

And some of the designs... have you seen the new Delorean?

I dunno about y'all... but I do believe I could have some fun with that. 👍

·
Retired Moderator
3,896 Posts
This is not being controversial it is fact. Yes, gasoline powered cars have been declared illegal -- in Washington state. Our idiot politicians have declared that as of 2030 no gasoline powered vehicles will be allowed on Washington roads. So even if you have fuel and a zero emissions motor it will be illegal, period.
This is not being controversial
Yes it is, because the point of your post is to spread a lie.

it is fact
No it isnt.

Yes, gasoline powered cars have been declared illegal -- in Washington state.
wrong, the sale of new gas powered cars was declared illegal after 2030.

as of 2030 no gasoline powered vehicles will be allowed on Washington roads.
Wrong, existing gas powered cars will still be allowed. And the sale of used gas powered cars will still be allowed.

So even if you have fuel and a zero emissions motor it will be illegal, period
Wrong, existing gas powered cars will still be allowed. And the sale of used gas powered cars will still be allowed

End of story, will not post again.
Great! Glad to hear it.. (but somehow I doubt it. 🤔)

I'm totally against this Washington state law, I think it's ridiculous.. I think people should be free to buy any car they want, and if electric cars are truly better, then the change will happen naturally without any laws like this needed.. but if we are going to talk about it, at least get the facts right.

Scot

41 - 60 of 62 Posts