Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With fall here and winter now just around the corner. I took the time to finally upgrade the rims and tires on my 1971 Ariens 10,000 series 32 wide. I remember seeing someone else on this forum made the same upgrade, but I believe their machine was an early 924,000 series unit. The rims and tires came from an old beat up Snapper 10/30 that happen to use rims with the same bolt hole pattern as the Ariens. The tires are Carlisle Snohogs size 16x6.50-8. They are much taller and wider than the original old lawn tread tires. All I did was paint the rims white to match the machine. They are chained. This should make a huge difference in handling and traction of the machine with far more stability for the 32 wide bucket. These new tires did raise up the back end of the unit a bit, as well ad raise the handles up a bit, which is a feeling I will have to adjust to and put the unit at a bit of a tilt vs. perfectly level, although I do not see it being a big enough change to cause any issues. I know some of the later 924,000 series used rims and tires this size as well as John Deere blowers that were made by Ariens, however I believe those units were made to accommodate the larger rims and tires. If anyone else has made this Upgrade or upgraded their rims or tires on their 10,000 series, let me know how you liked it and how much of a difference it made. Photos attached as well as some before photos. Prior to the upgrade I was using V bar tire chains on the original setup, the traction they gave was great, however it did make the machine bumpy and I was snapping roll pins that hold the differential lock hub on to the hub very frequently. Now I wont have to worry about that or any unnecessary wear as a result of using v bar chains. If I don't like the way the machine reacts now, I will ultimately get a pair of snohogs that are for the size of the original rims with a set of regular chains for those tires. But I believe this upgrade will be a huge game changer.

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
I did the same Snapper wheels / Snow Hog tire upgrade to my 71 10000 series last fall but that blower did not see much use last season so no long term input on the conversion. I have the same size tire chain / combo on my Craftsman 10/32 and haven't ever noticed the bumpy problem you mention but I have no hard paved surfaces. Don't worry about the slight nose down attitude. From what limited use I did have I saw no difference.

Now the only thing about what you mentioned about your machine that I wonder about is the roll pin issue. As anyone that has put larger tires on their truck knows, they do put more load on the driveline, not less. So your issue may not go away. One thing that might work is switching to a solid pin instead of the hollow.

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860E, 78 Ariens 922022
248 Posts
With fall here and winter now just around the corner. I took the time to finally upgrade the rims and tires on my 1971 Ariens 10,000 series 32 wide. I remember seeing someone else on this forum made the same upgrade, but I believe their machine was an early 924,000 series unit. The rims and tires came from an old beat up Snapper 10/30 that happen to use rims with the same bolt hole pattern as the Ariens. The tires are Carlisle Snohogs size 16x6.50-8. They are much taller and wider than the original old lawn tread tires. All I did was paint the rims white to match the machine. They are chained. This should make a huge difference in handling and traction of the machine with far more stability for the 32 wide bucket. These new tires did raise up the back end of the unit a bit, as well ad raise the handles up a bit, which is a feeling I will have to adjust to and put the unit at a bit of a tilt vs. perfectly level, although I do not see it being a big enough change to cause any issues. I know some of the later 924,000 series used rims and tires this size as well as John Deere blowers that were made by Ariens, however I believe those units were made to accommodate the larger rims and tires. If anyone else has made this Upgrade or upgraded their rims or tires on their 10,000 series, let me know how you liked it and how much of a difference it made. Photos attached as well as some before photos. Prior to the upgrade I was using V bar tire chains on the original setup, the traction they gave was great, however it did make the machine bumpy and I was snapping roll pins that hold the differential lock hub on to the hub very frequently. Now I wont have to worry about that or any unnecessary wear as a result of using v bar chains. If I don't like the way the machine reacts now, I will ultimately get a pair of snohogs that are for the size of the original rims with a set of regular chains for those tires. But I believe this upgrade will be a huge game changer.
Excellent. Will you need chains with those new tires? And maybe the raised angle of attack will be a plus.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent. Will you need chains with those new tires? And maybe the raised angle of attack will be a plus.
Yea, I have chains on with them. I have found the best combo is snohogs with chains IMO. The Xtracs are nice, but no chains are necessary with those and I like the chains, they give an extra bite of traction, that rubber itself does not provide.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I now have XTrac on all my units, including my two Ariens 10000 series, and never ever got stuck or slip .... I kept the original size, which is XTrac 13 x 4.00 - 6 ... And the larger size on the JD 826 is built for the larger tires ... I believe in running what came with the unit for designed travel and function.

I never used chains , always had snow tires .... years ago, one of my 10000 series had the grass tires with chains .... bounced the machine and me to death ... immediately took them off and put on snow tires.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those are some nice machines you have their. Why does the John Deere and 924,000 Ariens chassis sit level with the taller 8 inch tires, is the axle higher in the gearbox on those models vs the 10,000 series?
I was running those stock tires with v bar chains for the last few years, they have far more aggressive teeth than a regular tire chain, so the bouncing was far harder than a regular set. A regular set would wear out on me in less than a season (commercial use), the v bars were heading into their 4th, they were finally almost thru on the one side of the v bars. But it was causing me to snap the axle roll pins on the hub, left and right. Often 3 times per storm, I started sliding lock in clevis pins on in its place, they were easier to replace when they snapped. I'm actually suprised those chains didn't start causing my axle bushing's to wear out, but they didn't their still good. The traction from them was almost absolute, but I was getting tired of dealing with it. The tires still had trouble gaining traction in certain areas like EOD's where they come down at an angle, one of the reasons I went with the taller tires and the width of those tires supports that 32" wide bucket far better. So many upgrades have been done to that machine already that, from an originality standpoint, that ship sailed, shes modified. Anything that will make the machine perform better, is what I want, at this point. Aside from the back end being raised a bit and the machine tilted slightly forward, I can't see any negative effects from those larger tires. Plus its what I already had, besides two tubes and paint, I didn't have to go buy those items. If I don't like the way the machine reacts in the snow with them, I have a set of 4.10-6 snohogs I can throw onto the old rims as well as a pair of regular chains for those tires. But it looks like I won't be needing to change again, so far I'm happy with the feel and more aggressive look the machine has with these larger tires, the true test will come in snow. I have a set of X-Tracs on my Snapper, I put on. Their good, I like them. They are good as the blower that doesn't use chains, but I found they still slip, no matter what, rubber slips in snow and ice no matter how aggressive the tread, where a chain wont, no getting around that. My old Snapper had a set of snohogs with chains I put on and those chains lasted me 10 years commercially and I got the best traction out of that combination. Little to no slip, still a good smooth ride a happy medium, most of the chains sit in between the tread and pertrude just enough to help with traction without really feeling the chain. Thats why I went ahead with that setup again on this Ariens and tha3ts what I would go with if I had to stick with the stock size rim, that and I already have those style tires laying around, I don't have to buy them. Two Ariens chained with snohogs, 1 Snapper with X tracs. Now I just gotta wait for snow to see how the current setup does and I will report my findings at that time.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
" Why does the John Deere and 924,000 Ariens chassis sit level with the taller 8 inch tires "

Because that is how they were designed and produced, with the gearing set up as well to handle the larger diameter.

My 10HP Yard Machines that I just sold gives you the choice of moving the axle to support either, which was the first time I have seen that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
" Why does the John Deere and 924,000 Ariens chassis sit level with the taller 8 inch tires "

Because that is how they were designed and produced, with the gearing set up as well to handle the larger diameter.

My 10HP Yard Machines that I just sold gives you the choice of moving the axle to support either, which was the first time I have seen that.
Sorry you didn't answer my question I had, so again, is the axle itself up higher inside the gearbox on those units, 924,000 vs the 10,000, which is why those machines are still sitting level with the larger tires? Because they made the 924,000 with both the smaller and larger tire. If not what is making those machines sit level with the larger tire. If its different size hubs that I can swap over to level it off, I will, if not and its just the axle itself up higher I'm rolling with it, or does the bucket sit lower? What is actually different on the 924 vs the 10 making those larger tires go on the unit and sit level? The placement of the axle up higher, correct? I just looked at my 924,050 side by side with my 10,000 and I still really cant tell, pretty hard to tell.
Didn't notice any difference in the gearing. The Predator already sped up the machine some, regardless. As long as the machine still moves slow enough in lower gears to fully process the snow it will be fine.
I personally prefer that setup over the xtrax, plus I won't have to pour any more money in, xtracs still slip no matter how aggressive and doesn't work with a chain, because the chains go down in between the treads so far, they dont make contact with the ground, so chains are pointless on xtracs. With snohogs, the chains go in between the tread a bit but pertrude out far enough to give bite, yet roll smooth, no bounce, a tire with a chain will always have better traction, than a tire by itself, as I said, my snapper has x-tracs, those tires still slip, my old snapper had snowhogs with chains, like this Ariens, those tires did not slip, I don't want my blowers tires slipping. The Snapper is the one unit, I went with them, its more the backup unit, I like to change things up, their nice, I like them, but they still slip, not as bad as other tires, but they slip still. Its nice, but it doesn't beat snowhogs with chains. Also the later 924,000 moved onto Snohogs, so those classic units did see those style tires before the line ended. That line never saw xtracs as stock equipment, so technically those machines were never designed with xtracs in mind.
Again, if I don't like it, or if it doesn't work out well, I will stick a pair of 4.10-6 Snow hogs with chains I already have laying around onto the old rims and put those on.
Hopefully I wont have too, that 32" wide bucket works far better with wider tires to help support it and I like that setup, that machine should have came stock with a fatter tire to support the wider bucket from the factory, but those were the early days. Unfortunately I have never seen the 6.50 wide tire in a size 6, they were only made in the taller size 8. Gotta go with what they made. I originally got the idea from Gialteen02, shout out to him for the idea. A few people said they have made the same upgrade as I did and saw no ill effects, thats comforting. Hopefully that holds true. The machine is so much better off with a wider taller tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I sold the two 924 series I had awhile back, but they both had the stock 6 inch rims ... I have never seen a 924 series with an 8 inch rim. As I mentioned , the Yard Machine had an extra axle position hole to allow running a 6 or 8 inch tire .... I don't recall any 924 I came across with that option.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I sold the two 924 series I had awhile back, but they both had the stock 6 inch rims ... I have never seen a 924 series with an 8 inch rim. As I mentioned , the Yard Machine had an extra axle position hole to allow running a 6 or 8 inch tire .... I don't recall any 924 I came across with that option.
My 1987 is a 924,000 series, Guilateen02's, is a 924,000 series, their are a few old 924,000 series on the Ariens info site that have the same size tire as the ones on mine now, except their the older turf tread tires. All of those machines are sitting level with those 8 inch tires. The 924,000 ran from 1974-2004. They used a wide variety of different size and width rims and tires during its run, but even the units built between 74-79 came with the smaller rims or larger rims. Looks like the axle must 2 inches higher on the gearbox for the large wheel units, still haven't verified it though, something is different on the large wheel 924,000 units vs the small wheel ones to make those units sit level with thise big tires, whatever that difference is, if it can be swapped onto a 10,000 than a 10,000 could also sit level and be geared to handle them. I pmed guilateen02, he has used the snapper rims on a few of the older machines, his current machine came with stock 16×6.50-8 rims/tires, but the were the turf savers. He put a set of snowhogs the same size on in place. He should know what the difference was and if their is a way to level my unit. If not, its fine, I'll keep it the way it is. If I don't like the way it performs, I'll go back to the old rims with snowhogs and chains as mentioned before.
All of these machines in the attached photos are 924,000 units. The first is an 87, the rest are 70's units.
On the Ariens info site covering 924,000 units in the 70's some had the large rims/tires combo some had the small rims/tires combo. The 924,000 series were some of the best units ariens ever built, especially those 70's units and with upgrades like guilateen02 did are some of the best snowblowers you can have by Ariens, best looking too, that retro creamsicle look has always been the nicest IMO, that classic look. The 80's units are good too though besides the paint issues. If I ever get the opportunity to get my hands on a clean 70's, 924,000 unit, I will replace my old 10,000 with it and do the same mods too it, I did to my 10,000. Those units are more advanced. Better dash controls, updated safety features, capabilities to use the larger tires stock, stronger reinforcement under the belly of the bucket, 6 blade impellers. Stuff you just don't see anymore. Big massive, solid steel tanks.
Those 70's, 924,000 large wheel units are all 4 lug wheeled units, if swapping out the axle with those 4 lug hubs levels my machine, I would do it. Gotta find out.

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
The answer may be in the particular bucket assembly the tractor is mated to.

Reactions: Dusty and Darby

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The answer may be in the particular bucket assembly the tractor is mated to.
Your correct. I spoke with AriensProMike the mounts on the bucket are higher, they can be cut, relocated a little lower and rewelded to level it, shaw351 has done it already, so I could do that if I wanted, but its really not a big deal. However that still doesn't correct the issue of the machine being sped up. I still have to find out if theirs something that can be done about that. Perhaps, notching another slot on the gear selector for a slower first gear, maybe their are other things that can be done. Nonetheless if I don't like it, I'll just shrow those 4.10-6 snowhogs onto my original rims with chains and that will be good enough, still far better than it was originally.
Heres video of how the machine did last winter before the rim/tire upgrade. It's a hungry beast.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I personally don't believe you are going to have to do anything to address the change in tire size. I doubt it will speed up the ground speed all that much. The one simple thing that might be possible is adjusting the driven wheel to it's maximum travel in the slow position.

Your correct. I spoke with AriensProMike the mounts on the bucket are higher, they can be cut, relocated a little lower and rewelded to level it
I would guess moving the brackets on the bucket changes the centerline of the drive for the fan / auger drives. I suppose if it was a blower with a separate drive belts for the tractor and the blower, a belt / belt cover change would work. You certainly could not do that with any single belt Ariens.

My other thought was maybe some machines had a larger diameter fan, say 14" vs 12".

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Font Slope Parallel Auto part Diagram

As you can see, on this Yard Machines , it offers you the option of running the axle in positions for either the 6 or 8 inch rims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I registered just to give you this input:
I have the same exact machine (910954 / 910955), but with an 11 HP Briggs snow engine on it.
Been there - done that - all of it. The chains are not necessary, plus you get the bouncing and broken pins. The snow hogs will give you all the bite you need. X-tracs are too aggressive and tear up the grass quickly if the wheel should spin. Those tires are way too tall and increase your ground speed by at least 33%. If you have played with the size of the engine pulley (increase diameter), then the problem is even worse. Now first gear is not slow enough and the chute cannot discharge the snow that the auger pulled in fast enough, even with an impeller kit added. The machine tilts back in deep, heavy snow, especially with the 32" bucket. You will be forced to take only half the width paths. You will be exhausted. Steer wrestling would be easier. 4th gear will be so fast that if the machine got away from you, you couldn't run fast enough to catch it. You will want to change the shifter detents to get a slower first gear. This is easily doable and I would recommend doing this anyways. It really helps in busting through the huge pile of snow that the plow left at the end of the driveway.

Last winter, I picked up a softball sized chunk of asphalt from my neighbor's driveway and it stripped the gears in the gearcase. I was forced to get another attachment. I bought a 24" assembly and my machine works so much better now. I get more snow blown now faster and so much easier. I don't have to wrestle the machine anymore. I really believe that this machine was designed for the 24" bucket, and when the 32" bucket is added, too much snow is taken in and the machine becomes much harder to use. Remember, all of these machines have the same gear ratio in the gearbox. And since there is only one belt, we cannot alter the auger/impeller to ground speed ratio. It is what it is.
I will see what size snow-hogs I have on my machine for you. Good luck.

Edit: Carlisle Snow Hogs 13 x 5 - 6 on the original rims works best.

Anyone need a 1972 910955 bucket attachment with stripped gears? Complete assembly.
I would rather not scrap it, and then find out that someone could use it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts